Kaymar Rear Bars

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 18:46
ThreadID: 11332 Views:4363 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody out there tell me if they have had any problems fitting the "Kaymar" rear bumber bar to a 3.0 Nissan Auto.
I am thinking of fitting one with a spare wheel carrier, jerrycan holder & an HF radio mast bracket.
I also tow a bogie axle poptop caravan
Would appreciate any feedback

Have a good one
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 20:35

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 20:35
Kaymar have been building these for a long time so fitment should be fairly straight forward, you will probalby need help though as from experience they weigh quite a bit, and cost quite a bit also, good luck.
rolande
AnswerID: 50748

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:10

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:10
Price one first... thats what the issue was for me, over $2000.. to carry 1 spare and Jerry?

You can mount the HF on the std spare wheel carrier easily.. You already have a spare..

Long range tank removes the need for a Jerry... If its for water, there are NUMEROUS other options for water carrying.
AnswerID: 50757

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:16

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:16
Kaymar bar is no problems to fit, it is a nice bit of gear. Expensive? yes but the difference between Men and Boys price of their toys. There are some very nice 4x4 toys out there.
AnswerID: 50775

Reply By: Roachie - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:22

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:22
Mate,
I bought the Opposite Lock Heavy Duty twin-spare wheel caddy about 2 years ago and am very pleased with it. At the time it cost me about $1700 all up. A mate helped me to fit it....tooka couple of hours.
Good points are that you can keep your original tow bar (the Kaymar one uses a square cut-out in the main bar and can be difficult to get to the pin that hold the box section hitch in place. You can mount your number plate down on the main bar (where the Kaymar one has it's hole for the towbar hitch), so you don't have to dick around with the number plate being mounted on the gerry can holder or spare wheel.
I also spent $130- from another company in Adelaide (not sure of name) and bought a HF antenna carrier that bolts to the back door using 3 of the 4 bolts that used to hold on the original bracket for the spare wheel mount.
At the time I priced an equivalent dual carrier from Kaymar and it was almost a grand dearer!!!
Mine is a Patrol 4.2T/D, but the rear end would be the same for any GU I would think.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 50838

Follow Up By: Member - Harris J (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 14:20

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 14:20
Roachie,

Thanks for the info
Have you had it out on the rough roads [i.e. corugations] and if so any problems
Thanks
Has a good one
FollowupID: 312615

Follow Up By: Roachie - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 14:58

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 14:58
Yes mate, we've had it up to Cape York, The Border Track thru Ngahkatt (spelling???) NP, SA; Gawler Ranges, etc. No problems over any of those extremely corrogated roads.
Another good feature is that each swing out arm has a short gas strut to assist with opening/closing. There is also a cut out on each side to accept a high lift jack' tongue.
If I had to cite one thing I'd like to see changed, it would be the "locking" mechanism which is needed to hold the wheel carrier open if you're on a side slope. I do think the Kaymar system of having a small pin which locks the carrier open is better (but prone to possibly being lost maybe).
FollowupID: 312621

Follow Up By: Member - Harris J (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 16:00

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 16:00
Roachie,

Thanks for the feedback, it has helped in the direction to go which would be with the "Opposite Lock" unit

Have a Good One
FollowupID: 312636

Follow Up By: John - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 18:31

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 18:31
Harris J
Go and have a good look at the difference between the Kaymar and the Opposite Lock.
I have seen several Opposite lock systems which have failed to hold up.
One was in the Flinders Ranges in January on a Nissan and the other was on a 100 series during the recent Explore Oz Little Desert get together.
The owner of that one had had repeated repairs done to it as it was not very well built and he was very interested in my Kaymar.

If you pay $1700 for the OL and later find you need to upgrade your system it has just cost you a whole lot more.
I was prepared to pay the extra in the begining and get the best product.
It's your money extra grand now or extra $2500 later to replace your OL bar. Up to you all I say is have a real good look at the difference.

Also one other consideration was the increase in rear end ground clearance due to the in built tow bar on the Kaymar.
On my Troopy it gave me about 8 inches extra clearance.
My original tow bar was forever grounding and getting me hung up thats why I started looking at other options.
The Kaymar is also designed to use their recovery point for snatching etc. A bloody good well made product, super strong.

Regards
John
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 312670

Follow Up By: Roachie - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 23:27

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 23:27
G'day John,
Do you know if the failed Opp Lock ones were the full replacement, heavy duty bars? Opp Lock make (or used to??) a fairly flimsy caddy which bolted on to the existing rear bar of 60 and 80 series cruisers so the spare wheel could be moved out from underneath.
The heavy duty unit I've got is bloody heavy and I can't imagine it ever breaking. I agree with you about the towbar being a bit lower than the Kaymar unit, but it is still in it's original position. Not sure how you could gain 8" of clearance, but will take your word for it, of course.
Onya mate,
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 312759

Follow Up By: John - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 00:51

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 00:51
Hi Roachie
The Toyota / Hayman Reece tow bar hung down a long way, The Kaymar bar use's a long bent Z style (with a straight vertical) goose neck I remove this when off road and not towing and have easily increased the rear end clearence by about 8" or 200mm.
Don't forget the Troopy has a fair degree of overhang behind the rear wheel probably more than the Nissan so maximising clearance for departure angle is pretty important.

The two OL carrier bars I saw were not very heavy duty in my book.
One is on the 100 series Toyota owned by Andrew & Jen from this site.
I was following Andrew down Border track and later when stopped remarked at how flimsy his carrier was, It was only a single wheel one and he remarked about it falling apart on his trip to Cape York and having to get it re welded whilst up there. He was not very happy with it.

The Nissan owner I did not speak to but one of the bars that support the wheel was cracked.
It may well have been a lighter model then what you seem to have, hence I said to Harris J to go and have a good look at both for himself.

Can't recall seeing one of OL units fitted to a 60 or 80 series so really can't comment.
As we say they are all a lot of money as is everything we do to our trucks.

Take care.

Regards
John
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 312767

Sponsored Links