Rhino Sportz Rack

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 19:23
ThreadID: 11336 Views:1985 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just got my Rhino Sportz racks fitted to the Surf. Went down the pop-rivet track mount style and it looks very smart. I have already adjusted the lengths a little here and there which seems very quick and easy to do. Will give them a good test this weekend with my 1200x900 basket when we go up to cevanties and back via the coast. Let you know how they go for those of you (like me) who had reservations with this type of rack.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Surf - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:35

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:35
Had exactly the same set up (with commercial bars) on my Surf for about 2 years now without any problems. Generally load it up with all the light stuff (air matresses, clothing bags, sleeping bags, pillows etc), but as usual, its never big enough.

Went up through Mt Augustus/Karijini middle of last year carrying an extra steel wheel on top without any problems. You may want to look at a storage sack eventually (to keep the dust/rain out). Michelles Sacks in Malaga make excellent products.

Have recently put a wind defector on the front, but havent really put it to any great test yet.
AnswerID: 50832

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:37

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:37
How much are the backs from Michelles Sacks in Malaga, I've heard Mike's Canvas in Wangara does them for about $150, it is somthing I think we will just have to have to make sure it's all as easy as possible an at least slightly weather proof.
FollowupID: 312596

Reply By: Surf - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 14:30

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 14:30
I think mine was bit more expensive that that ($250?). Michelles Sacks model comes with extra heavy duty base made of a special type of rigid rubber/plastic that they import specially for wire baskets etc. They use heavy duty YKK zips and lots of thick velcro and seal all seams internally.

We went through very heavy rain (for several hours) and lots of dust (in a convoy) and everything always came out dry and dust free. The velcro can be a bugger pulling apart at the end of the day though, but thats what its there for.

Might pay to check both out to see how they stack up against each other quality wise. I hadnt heard about the mob in Wangara, but makes sense as there are a few camp trailer manufacturers located up there.
AnswerID: 50870

Sponsored Links