For 2 people is Engel 60 ltr or 40 ltr best.

Submitted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1134 Views:5869 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Have seen many Q & A's re the 40 litre but not much on the 60 litre. Obviously the 60 litre takes 50% more inside but is there too high a price to pay in increased battery drain, larger dimensions etc? Space isn't a real problem in the Troopy though. Have Gary Plant's full length Roller _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx with fridge slide. Haven't had a fridge before so don't know what size is required for extended trips to cater for 2 adults.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
Paul : please tell us what an extended trip means! for some its a 4 day weekend, for others its 3 weeks on the Canning Stock Route !! Sorry but none of us are mind readers and daft questions generally get daft answers !
steve
AnswerID: 3548

Follow Up By: Paul - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Sorry for the lack of info. OK, going for 12 months with a view to staying at times for 1-2 weeks in isolated spots. Will have dual battery and 2 solar panels which I believe is necessary to keep the power up.
FollowupID: 1449

Reply By: John R. - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

A more helpful reply might go along the lines of 'It all depends on what you want to keep cold'. If you start off with lots of fresh vegioes, milk, bread, meat and need a dozen coldies a night you might need the 60. Same if catering for a family. But after a week on any trip you'll probably have used the fresh stuff and will be into powdered milk and fresh damper with lots of space in your fridge.
I've never needed anything bigger than a 40 for up to three people.
Joihn R.
AnswerID: 3549

Reply By: Allyn Cooper - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Paul
My wife and I have a 60 Litre Engel that serves us well. We have never been able to determine whether it was necessary to go the 60 litre over 40 as there are pitfalls attached. One is the extra power draw but to date that hasn't really been a problem. The 60 Litre is heavy and awkward which is my main concern, not so much now but as I get older.
We do however manage to fill the fridge every time but sometimes only with what could be deemed "luxury" items (red wine, cheeses etc). Your answer will come from the length of your trips. We are just about to set out on 5 weeks thru Gibb River/Kalumburu so I'm sure will appreciate having the xtra capacity then.
None of that will help you and I think you will always be faced with the question every time you go somewhere.
Cheers
AnswerID: 3551

Guess you're right, personal preferance applies but I suppose better too big than too small. Thanks for the info.
FollowupID: 1451

Reply By: JohnF - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Paul, we have a 40lt which has done a good job. The system you use, is just as important. For example, on trips of a few days, we just use it as a fridge. But on longer trips, we use it as a freezer. We put in meat, sausages, etc, and also those thermo ice cubes, that are refreezable. Then the day before, we select the items we want for thawing, put it in the esky, with the thermo ice cubes, and presto, we've got thawed meat or whatever, each evening, as well as some cold drinks.
AnswerID: 3552

Follow Up By: Porl - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Hey JohnF - where do you get thermo ice cubes ?
FollowupID: 1436

Follow Up By: Johnf - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

They are actually called "Techni" ice cubes. They come in sheets of 24 cubes, consisting of plastic on one side, and some kind of absorbent hesh on the other.
The way they work, is soak the sheet in water for a few hours. The hesh absorbs water, and they swell. then you freeze it.
When you put it in the esky, after some time the ice turns to water, but the water stays in the hesh. You just re-freeze it to use it again. That's why it's perfect for an engel. I normally carry two or three sheets.
I think my wife bought them at K-Mart? or maybe Auto One? Not sure, we've had them a few years.
Hope this helps.
FollowupID: 1437

Reply By: Nigel - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

We went for the 68 litre EvaKool and we always manage to fill it even for short trips - probably not with essentials, but it's certainly nice to have the space (especially with a couple of kids). We went for the EvaKool because it is very light compared to other fridges and it has 40mm insulation all around and is white and will reflect heat better.

On the last long weekend we went out to the Gulf country in Far North Queensland (hot days, cool nights) and ran the fridge for 56 hours without starting the car. The 90 Ah battery went from fully charged to 11.5 volts in that time.
AnswerID: 3555

Helpful, thanks
FollowupID: 1450

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Paul : have you thought that a 40litre for general cooling and a second one of say 30 litres for frozen/cryovac packed meats might be the way to go for an extended trip ?

Seeing as you have the sliding shelf, both would fit on and you could dispose of one at the end of the trip ...
AnswerID: 3588

Reply By: Gordon - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
Paul, we use a system similar to JohnF. We have 40L Engel, 40L esky (with good quality insulation) and 4 freezer blocks (each block is twice the size of your regular freezer block). We run the Engel as a freezer and fill with frozen meat and two of the blocks. The esky has everything else and the other two blocks. The Daily routine is 1) Morning (a) Swap blocks: eskyfreezer and (b) Move frozen meat freezer-->esky to thaw for dinner 2) 3.00PM: Put cans of (warm) beer in the Freezer (enough for that night) 3) Evening: Drink beer; Eat meat. Advantages: No need to buy ice for esky. No water in esky. Freezer is opened only twice each day. No chrio-packing. Last year the 40L Engel carried all the meat for 2 people for 4 weeks (still had frozen meat left over). For you this would mean putting your esky on the fridge slide rather than the Engel because you are in and out of the esky all the time. I am interested in JohnF's idea about using the mesh instead of blocks - I will give it a try. I wonder if the water in the mesh would be absorbed by any porous items it might touch in the esky (eg paper bag, or deli meat wrapped in paper. I suspect the blocks would take longer to thaw out. We find the spent blocks are still partly frozen each morning. Good luck.
AnswerID: 3617

Follow Up By: Paul - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
I think the freezer/esky combination seems the most practical, thanks.
FollowupID: 1472

Sponsored Links