Problems - Nissan Patrol 3.0 litre 2002 model

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:11
ThreadID: 11340 Views:27565 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am enquiring whether owners/drivers of 3.0 litre Nissan patrol have had the same problems I have had and in particular, I enquiring whether there are any other problems I should be made aware of. 1. got the car December 2002, went for a trip to Brisbane and noticed a bad rattle from the rear of the vehicle, sounded like a loose exhaust flange. I took it to a Nissan dealer who told me that the rear number plate was rattling and take it back to where I bought it. When I got home I also noticed the fan belt was making a screaming noise when started similar to a loose fan belt. I rang the service manager where I purchased the vehicle in regards to the fan belt noise and he said he has never heard of the problem. I hung up rang the same number and asked to speak to the workshop mechanic who told me that there was a problem with the automatic belt tensioner and that Nissan have put out a bulletin on the matter and would replace under warranty. I took my vehicle and had the belt tensioner replaced and asked for the oil leak to be checked I noticed in the front of the motor. I was informed that I would have to have the motor or gear box removed to remove the sump to fix an oil seal at the oil pickup. When i enquired about the rattle at the back of my vehicle nothing could be located. I got home feeling pretty wellbleepoff and got under the car and searched for the rattle myself and discovered that the rear nearside (passenger) spring was loose and lost its tension and when I hit it with the palm of my hand... bingo.. that was the noise I had heard since the car was new. I measured the heights of all springs and noticed that both the springs on the nareside were down 15 mm. I returned to the dealer, showed them the lose spring and they said it would be replace one spring under warranty. I informed them that the front lefthand side was also down, however they said only 1 spring would be replaced as this was Nissan's policy, one spring at a time. when I went to pick up the vehicle with the new rear spring fitted they informed me that now they have determined that the front one needs replacing and I would have to bring my car back yet another day! I have jut had the front spring replaced and have my vehicle back again only to have the rattle noise continue from the back of the vehicle and I think it may be the other rear spring. By reading some of the article posted here I am of the opinion maybe the top spring plate may have been bent somehow or another. CAN ANYBODY PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE OR EXPERIENCES WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE OR OTHER PROBLEMS EXPERIENCED BY THEM. My mate recently bought the same model as me in 2003 and he was informed that the 2003 is the 3.0 litre Series 3 model and all the faults have been fixed. Yet when I rang Nissan customer service in Melbourne they told me there is no Series 3 turbo diesel, only Series 1 and Series 2.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:17

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:17
I would love to sit here and bag Nissan but i wont , I think you need another dealer to Service your car , put up a post asking forum members who are they using and are they happy with warranty claims ect . Sounds like you are on a dud dealer
AnswerID: 50761

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 22:40

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 22:40
I agree with Eric, I have been back to the Nissan dealer hare and have had stuff fixed/repaired no worries. Your dealer is dudding you, go fond another, as the dealer whoo services mine isnt the one I purchased from, shop around.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 312742

Reply By: Brian - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:43

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:43
Try asking here Patrol Forum

Brian

AnswerID: 50796

Reply By: Trol - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:17

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:17
thewallers,

If it was me, I'd be taking my requests a little higher, check out what avenues you can go down to ensure that the service department is giving you the highest level of service, the 55k or so that you spent on the vehicle is also paying for roadside assist and your 3 year/100,000 k warranty.

If you have the time, annoy the poo out of them until they give you the answer you need to hear. We are the consumers remember, without us, their is no market!

Good luck!

Trol.
AnswerID: 50812

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 10:03

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 10:03
I WANT A 3.0 GU!!!
OH YES I DO!!!!!!!!!

There are HEAPS of others with same issues.. But as everyone tells me they were fixed in the 2001 model.. Me a disbeliever???

Try the archives here, 4wd mthly forums, Overlander forums, Outerlimits forums, Umm the Nissan_GU_Patrol forum, the PATROL4WD list on Yahoogroups...

Or just do a google search on it... One bloke I know has had everything from diffs gearbox motor turbo the works replaced!
AnswerID: 50818

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:38

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:38
I don't believe the motor has anything to do with the suspension.....

Leroy
FollowupID: 312589

Follow Up By: Happy GU Owner - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:14

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:14
TRUCKSTER

YOU KNOW that the transmision ,diffs, suspension, etc on the 3 Litre is the SAME running gear as on the 4.2 TDI and the 4.8 Petrol.

Any faults in the running gear can occur with any of the above models, so please, stick to the facts.
FollowupID: 312594

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 22:16

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 22:16
Leroy.
" took my vehicle and had the belt tensioner replaced and asked for the oil leak to be checked I noticed in the front of the motor. I was informed that I would have to have the motor or gear box removed to remove the sump to fix an oil seal at the oil pickup."
apology accepted.

Happy..
no they aint there are 2 different diffs in the GU series...
also apology accepted.
FollowupID: 312732

Follow Up By: Leroy - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:43

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:43
"I WANT A 3.0 GU!!!
OH YES I DO!!!!!!!!!"

like i said above, but im asking for an apology!

"no they aint there are 2 different diffs in the GU series... "

I made no comment on the diffs, but I'm not asking for an apology!!

FollowupID: 312797

Reply By: Billy - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 16:33

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 16:33
On the model series confusion, there are 3 series of GU, but only series 2 and 3 were fitted with the 3.0Di, the Series 1 being offered with 2.8 and 4.2 diesels and the 4.5 petrol. Thus you can have a Series III GU with the second iteration of the 3.0Di, in which significant technical changes were made to the engine internally and electronically.

If memory serves (stand to be corrected), the GUIII's (second series of 3.0Di's) did not arrive until April or May 2002, which would make your vehicle still a Series II GU and the first of the 3.0Di's?

I've read elsewhere of top spring plates on pass side rear having intermittently variable welding quality leading to failure, so it's not unknown on the GU, as for the springs themselves, normally a quality item, go figure....

I agree with the earlier poster, you need to find another dealer...as in your case, simple problems can give you a big pain in the a%$ if not fixed with a smile.
AnswerID: 50893

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 17:02

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 17:02
Are there problems with the GU 3.0lt engines?

(Chuckle)

Leroy
FollowupID: 312647

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 22:41

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 22:41
Are there any teeth left in your mouth Leroy!?

(chuckle)
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 312745

Follow Up By: Leroy - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:39

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:39
:-0

Leroy
FollowupID: 312796

Sponsored Links