Comment: Improving an Evakool fridge!

I've just made a replica Engel 40L which sits on top of the existing fridge. i.e.lid comes off the bottom and fits the new top section. Engel people tell me that the top section will never freeze so I can freeze food in the bottom and keep milk eggs etc in the top. Compressor will easily handle the extra volume (may be a little slower cooling down to temp) haven't tried it yet to see what the temperatures are. Whilst the additional height is not a problem as the slide out clears the roof easily, my missus can't see in the top section. Either I have to lift off the top to get at the slads etc. or I need to get a stool for the missus!
The reason for the Heath Robinson extension was purely for extended fishing trips with the boys. Frozen fillets in the bottom, beer in the top, plus I can't afford a dual zone 80l fridge/freezer and don't have the room either.
I guess now that I've made it, I'll have to give it a go on the Gunbarrel in a few weeks. If it works, I'll let you all know. If it's a disaster, you won't hear from me.
And please, don't get into any technical crap and other motherhood statements....either it works or it doesn't!
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:05

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:05
Hi DingoBlue,

Funny you should say that, I did a similair thing to my Engels when I bought a twozone for it. Was disappointed in its performance so added a fan. Here is a link to my post about it 3 years ago, has worked well in all that time. I never tried it as a freezer, but should see no reason why it won't work.

[url]http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/53154/Two_Zone_for_Engel_-_how_to_make_it_work.aspx[/url]

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 547886

Sponsored Links