rust proofing

G'day all

Have 100 series std diesel. Do I get rust proofing done professionally or do it myself. If you recommend do it yourself. What products/mixtures do I use. Does rust proofing remain tacky. Will sand and salt stick to the rust proofing. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 08:57

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 08:57
Pay to have it done. They have the equipment to get into all the little nooks and crannies. There is also the warranty aspect .... though I don't know if anyone has ever claimed successfully in that regard.

The stuff usually tends to stay tacky for quite a while and sand etc will stick, but I don't think that's a real issue as it's on the outside surface.
AnswerID: 50810

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:15

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:15
I wouldn't bother unless you live near the coast or expose the vehicle to lots of water. Frankly, I can't remember seeing rust on a modern 4WD - but then I live inland and don't see much water.
AnswerID: 50829

Reply By: Wil - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 15:06

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 15:06
Hi Bernie1

It's not expensive to get it done properly. DIY means buying deorderised fish oil & undercarriage sprays in spray cans and can be quite expensive. The pros have all the gear and they will get it into all the important spot. I have had my 80 series done and found it to be awesome.

FYI quite easy to find rust on chasis of brand new Hilux.

Cheers

Wil
AnswerID: 50872

Reply By: Roachie - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 16:02

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 16:02
G'day Bernie 1
I've gone the other way with my 4.2 Patrol and fitted a CounterAct Electronic Rust Prevention system.
All the write-ups seem to suggest these bloody things work and I'll be well p**ssed off if I ever get any cancer in the truck.
I had Endrust do a previous truck of mine and I was forever getting this brown gooey shyte all over me whenever I went to run a new cable anywhere etc. But it did seem to work okay to as no rust was ever found (that was a 93 GQ which I owned until 2000 and had been owned by the Water Ways in NSW for it's first 2 years.
cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 50885

Reply By: Stuart - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 21:47

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 21:47
Don't now that I would bother. I bought my 1990 Eighty series in 1999 from a guy that lived next to Cronulla Beach and have never found any rust and believe me I've looked. Toyota developed special welding techniques and used coated steel to reduce the rust problems in the cruisers. It's worked on mine. Cheers. PS I ditched the old gasper 3F ( F for FxxxxD) and replaced it with a 350 (5.7Ltr) Chev Vortec. Best car I've ever owned.
AnswerID: 50967

Sponsored Links