Choosing a 4wd

Submitted: Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 22:45
ThreadID: 11398 Views:1815 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just had a test drive in a new Range Rover. They certainly seem to me to be one of the best available in this style of vehicle. However, the Toyota vehicles also seem to be very popular. Should I consider the Landcruiser or do I go for a Range Rover? Any other alternatives I should look at? Patrol perhaps? How about the Mercedes?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 22:51

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 22:51
Mick, check some previous posts - it is all searchable. It realy does matter what you want to do with it. You decide that first.
AnswerID: 51110

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 22:59

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 22:59
Mick,
If you have that sort of money buy a new 4.2 Turbo Patrol and spend around $50,000 on accessories, that could work well. As mentioned search the archives there is truckloads there.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 51112

Follow Up By: landcrusa - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 23:11

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 23:11
On subject of accessories, make sure the accessories you want are available for the chosen vehicle. That will narrow down your choice somewhat.
FollowupID: 312868

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 23:14

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 23:14
"If you have that sort of money buy a new 4.2 Turbo Patrol and spend around $50,000 on accessories, that could work well. As mentioned search the archives there is truckloads there"

... And then bank the rest!!
FollowupID: 312869

Follow Up By: Mick - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 08:42

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 08:42
Thanks all of above. I'm really not keen on fitting a lot of aftermarket stuff. Not because of the cost but the reliablilty. I'd rather buy a vehicle which was off road ready to go. My extensive experience has lead me to the view that manufacturers of aftermarket equipment tend to "create" a market with advertising. They have very limited R&D resources which leads to a far higher failure rate than OE parts. I have seen a number of vehicles whose owners were convinced by advertising that they needed to "lift" their vehicles. They didn't realise that their diffs stayed at the same height from the ground and soon had suspension problems because of such things as the bump stops not being modified to accomodate the changed suspension travel. Thus I would much rather buy a capable vehicle than one that is less able and needs $50,000 spent on it to bring it up to grade (sorry Truckster but thanks anyhow)
FollowupID: 312879

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:16

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:16
I know of many people with modded vehicles, and dont really know any that when modifying dont do it correctly, thus not having any issues. If you do it correctly and dont be a tight arse, trying to save $10, then you will have no issues. If you get someone who knows what they are doing to do the work, then you also should have no issues. If you do, its their issue, they fix Free..

If you think you need to spend any $ on a Breadbox, or a TD6 to make it more capable than a $100k rangie, good for you. a fool and his money are soon parted.

What I was getting at and presume Martyn was stating, is that you could get a Cruiser or Patrol or several other 4wds on the market that are well sub $80k, easily as capable as the Rangie stock, and then fit it out for touring or outback travelling and still come in under the rangie price tag.

Start by fitting Rear Storage, Fridge, Communications gear, Roof or dash consoles to fit comms gear, Winch, Bullbar and Rails, spotties, Cargo barrier, Fitted Water Tank, Roofrack, Long Range Tank etc and still bank $20,000 or more and have a shaggers weekend at a resort for you and the girlfriend.

Just cause its expensive doesnt make it good.

YMMV
FollowupID: 312913

Reply By: Member Eric - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:06

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:06
do you want to go off road ? will you cry if you brake your front spoiler on the rangy ? or if you break your mirror on a tree ? if you scrach it ? If the answer is that you dont care , go for it , there a pretty mean car off road , some better tyres and it can go anywere . If you just need it for dirt rd's , Rangi would be great also , If you want to go off road off road and you will worry about scraching a $150k vehicle get a Cruiser or Patrol . Money no object go Cruiser try and stay away from ifs model if you want to go serious off roading
AnswerID: 51120

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:43

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:43
Here in the USA no one would even dream of taking a Rangie off road (much like any $WD here) They are still sold here as the "ultimate" $WD but sales are really lacking considering the competition.

You can buy a BMW X5 with the same 4.4 V8 for $52,700 And you get 6 speed auto as standard compared to $72,250 for the Rangie.

In travelling between the USA and Oz a couple of times a year I am amazed at the variation in prices comparing equal models of cars. Considering the $ exchange Toyotas are pretty much on par but the high end stuff is much more expensive in Australia.

Bruce
AnswerID: 51121

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 11:07

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 11:07
Mick it's an interesting question and if I can change the context a little and put this Q, what would most contibutors to this forum do if they had just won the lottery or a favourite rich aunt just died & left them a bucket load. Keeping to the vehicle choice option, would they change their vehicle considering the purpose for which they bought it ??
I guess in fairness one would have to at least test drive a Rangie first to make an assesment. The other important Q is where do you want to go, what do you want to see ? There can be some pretty mean treks around Oz if you really want to get remote & it's a long way between fuel stops, these are often the most beautiful places because of their isolation and solitude and the challenge of getting there, if that's your bag.
Any vehicle that undertakes an arduous trip needs to be set up with the correct tyres, certain spares, adequate fuel reserves, water and the camping gear (tent or trailer) that goes with this type of 4WD'ing. The driver needs to be capable and able to effect repairs (it happens, even to expensive vehicles).
I think (that's an assumption) most ExplorOz members enjoy setting up a vehicle, fiddling, adapting it to their needs, having the pleasure of being smart enough to save a buck here and there. And that's the point, there is a sense of achievement all round like "I did it".
I don't believe your theory about aftermarket extras is correct. Sure, there is a case for "let the buyer beware", but companies like Opposite Lock & ARB etc are very concious of consumers needs and test their components in tough competitions. You will never see any stock factory vehicle with standard factory extras winning the tough competitions. Rangies do well in some of these comps but they are far from being just factory clones.
For me, I would buy the vehicle with a strong engine, say 4.2 Patrol, set it up to suit my camping needs, find a remote white sandy beach with good fishing and with the spare cash have fresh Caviar and Bollinger flown in each evening at sunset to go with the grilled snapper & snow peas.
Good luck with your decision making I hope its the first of many exciting challenges to come.
AnswerID: 51150

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:21

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:21
"...would most contibutors to this forum do if they had just won the lottery or a favourite rich aunt just died & left them a bucket load. Keeping to the vehicle choice option, would they change their vehicle considering the purpose for which they bought it ?? "

Nope Id still get a late model GU and put in a V8 Chev Turbo Diesel. I couldnt treat a $100k car as I would a $30-40k one. You buy it for $100k its worth $70k by end of year 1.

Goto Overlander theres some bloke there with a Lexus(the fancy 100series), he was offered $40,000 as a trade within 4 years if I remember. Purchase was over $100k.

I'd rather buy a block of acreage than a $100k car. Remember it still only has to get you from A - B. No matter how often we THINK we go away, we dont, not one person on this board goes away as often as they would like.
FollowupID: 312914

Reply By: mel_and_toby - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 14:15

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 14:15
Mick,
I had the previous model HSE4.6 RR. The last pre BMW creation with the "old" V8.
It went liek a dog initially and eventually RA put a new engine in it - tunred out teh orginal engine had 4litre crankshaft - no wonder it was a dog. After four years a guy at work bought it - and not long after the a/c packed up. It was 2K to fix so the RR was sold for 46k with about 100k on the clock. Original purchase was 115K - that was a ridiculous depreciation cost, but a great vehicle. Will the orphaned BMW RR have the same create of depreciation? Better engine but did the pommie workers learn how to actually build the things? Tiem will tell.

Capable - very - remember well one day near Rainbow Beach when all and sundry were having trouble getting through the soft stuff and with sensible driving the RR went straight through with traction control working like a dream. Even had guys stand and salute!
And before the Cruiser & Nissan guys flame me - I have had a 60 and two 80s plus a Nissan, spread over 20 or so years. The RR feels fragile by comparison and I was always worried about a major failure in the bush, the others simply feel stronger.
As mentioned in an earlier post - the use should dictate the purchase. The RR is smaller - good round town but hard to get the gear in (particularly with the sloping rear hatch which reduces load volumes greatly).

The Merc M series has a great diesel engine, but lacks a bit in ground clearance and is only mid sized. It is much less dollars and has the lowest depreciation of any 4*4 (www.redbook.com.au) but it is due for replacement soon. Great tow vehicle though (except you need to watch draw bar weight @ 220Kg). Bought one a year back and is just as reliable as a L/C (now that is a back handed compliment!).
If I was buying today - I would at least consider the VW Toureg, again depending what I wanted it for, but the M Class would still be high on the list even though it is "old", and I need to carry a spare on my trailer for it.
Unfortunately I can't tour all the time and the ML is easier around town, and its size isn't an issue as we tow a CT when we travel.

On the other hand that BMW diesel in the RR should be good if you want to take the depreciation risk, and spend extra dollars initially.

IAN
AnswerID: 51157

Reply By: Member Eric - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 21:55

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 21:55
We are all so out of whack here that is not funny . We call what we do 4 w driving , but what is it that you actually do ? a beach some clay mud trails , corregated roads ? , The RR with its track control and other fanci gadgets is a auwsom vehicle , if I had the bucks for a tourer for the family for the above mentioned purpose , then a RR would be a great contender . Now what I called 4 w driving is the stuff Truckster & I do , it would be the last car I purchased . Its not its capabily that would stop us , its the desighn of the vehicle for this type of work , Ground clearence / air bag suspention ( one sharp rock and its all over ) Plastic spoilers / options available ect ect ect . This dosnt meen we hate them , it just dosn't suit our purpose . Take Toolangi last week ,a good friend of mine has his 2000 HSC out to play , he had to sit out of most of the tracks . The one's that he did do , he lost mirror spoiler , punctured tyres scrached his nice rims , Now this guy loves his off roading has the bucks not to worry to much , ( and member John was there to see how hard this guy pushed his car ) He now want to get rid of it,to purchase OLDER 4 wdrive to have fun with us . So lets all just look at what we want to do and choose the appropriate car
AnswerID: 51207

Sponsored Links