Les Christie charger

Submitted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1140 Views:1662 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a Les Christie charger and will report back on my verdict when I've run some tests on the unit. I'm told though that the unit is quite loud at full throttle (well over 70db) and am wondering if anyone has any ideas of quitening down this unit. I'm open to all suggestions that you may have seen, eg attaching some form of muffler, fitting the unit inside a sound deadening box etc etc.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: paul - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
At full throttle not only is it way over 70db but it pretty much jumps away, but then when would you run any engine at full throttle - we don't redline our wagons so treat the little 4 stroke Honda motor on Les' machine the same way. It purrs along quite happily at 20 - 30 amps. Also you need to be careful what sort of battery you are charging at what rate - if you put 40 amps/hr into a wet cell 90amp deep cycle battery you will fry it to death very quickly.

One way to quieten it is to get a copper 3/4 corner connection from your local hardware store and a downpipe piece of copper to fit into the down corner piece, all braised together or whatever and have the down piece extend into a hole in the sand or dirt and cover that hole up with sand or dirt and let the exhause, and sound, buble out through the sand or dirt.

I also have a Honda EU10i and spoke to Les about how come with the same engine the EU10i is so much quieter and it is obviously the baffler system which he has been unable to reproduce but something he is looking at.
AnswerID: 3569

Follow Up By: Ray - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info, the only reason I mentioned full throttle is that Les told me that on fast charge and a flat battery it will go to full rpm. I won't know until I try myself but if it's only ticking away I'd be happier. I didn't know you could adjust the current input I thought it would be limited by the resistance of the battery. How are you able to do this??

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 1441

Reply By: paul - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
Uhm, you got me with that one. The unit does have a "high charge" and a "low charge" switch and I have not had to charge a battery completely dead but I find I can control the engine speed by just using the throttle which in turn seems to reduce the reading on the amp meter.
AnswerID: 3590

Follow Up By: Ray - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Paul, I'll have a play when it turns up, I can't wait, it will make our camping that bit more self sufficiant. At present there is a 2 month wait for the units they must be very popular.
FollowupID: 1453

Follow Up By: Mal Try - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

I have found that I have had to run the engine at full revs initially so the engine didn't stall when I switched to low charge. You can then turn the revs down to a suitable charging rate and more acceptable noise level. Mal Try.
FollowupID: 1454

Sponsored Links