Offroad Tyre and Alloy Option for GU Patrol

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 16:48
ThreadID: 11410 Views:1972 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Having gone through the situation where we need good quality low k tyres for our travels in the outback I am wondering whether the option of a complete set of wheels for offroad is the way to go! If your highway tyres are getting down and you feel a need for something with a bit more rubber you are basically in a position where you must toss your old rubber. When you return home to the land of freeways and sealed roads the ATs, STs or whatever you choose are in some ways unsuitable for that job also. They are also quite noisy. Maybe the ideal solution is two sets of wheels but can the expense be justified. On the plus side you will have tyres designed for the job and you will be able to use them until they are worn out rather than change as your circumstances dictate ( i.e. blacktop or dirt ). The down side is the cost of the exercise and the fact that I've been told I can't put 5 offroad wheels in the spare room. Has anybody had experience with this process and if so, your thoughts please? PS: I made some inquiries this morning and several tyre dealers quoted me about $2500.00 for 5 x ROH Monsoons and Cooper STs or Bridgestones, Pirellis or Good Years. I was quoted $350.00 for BF Goodrich Ats, sounds a bit steep to me! Your comments would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:15

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:15
You should be able to get 8" steel Track2 wheels (made by ROH) for around $100 and BFG ATs should cost around $270 for 275 - 70 -16". I use the BFGs all the time and they are fine for town and country. Keep shopping around.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 51173

Reply By: Brad - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:18

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:18
Many go that way...I think it depends on how radical you need your off-road rubber to be.
I use BFG ATs all year and I don't think they are too bad on the blacktop.
I also couldn't stand the hassle of changing wheels just for a quick weekend away - some people would find it part of the fun changing their gear....each to his own. Usually found Bob Jane as good as anyone with prices - $300 plus doesn't surprise me.
Regards,
Brad.
AnswerID: 51174

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:01

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:01
Hey Slim ... Peter's on the money I reckon. Pick up a set of steel jobs $100-$150 plus tyres of your choice.

Cheers
AnswerID: 51188

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:31

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:31
I wouldnt bother running AT's and HT's.. Waste of $. Wear out the HTs until 2 weeks before your trip. Then get the new AT's run them for those 2 weeks to check balance and fitment etc checking for problems.

Most AT's are very good on the road, lasting upto ~100,000 depending on application and what Brand, Fit, Treatment etc.

AT's are not noisey. MT's are. As any smart man realises the more aggressive the tire the more noise they pump out. My Simexs sound like a twin engine plane comin along side, quite interesting in traffic!! I Love it!

It would be worth running 2 sets of rims and tires if you want some serious play tires for weekends. I do. I run MTRs weekdays (could probably go AT's but the MTR's are so good at everything), and some Simex Jungle Trekker 2s on second rims for weekends.

As for what tires to get, its a REAL LOTTERY. There are so many tires out there now that are good, bad and ugly, with someone having a "GOOD" story about every make model and color, as well as "BAD" stories...
AnswerID: 51191

Reply By: crowie - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 11:30

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 11:30
Slim

Going to 265/75's rather than 265/70's will save you money (up to $40.00 per). In addition you get a stronger tyre than the 70's , more manufacturer choices, and more readily available. When making a choice, remember that not all tyre bands are available everywhere. Stick with the better known brands, they are more readily available in remote areas. Also If you drive a Patrol your speedo error will be reduced. Shop around and you can buy a good brand in the taller size from around $180.00 to $250.00
AnswerID: 51248

Reply By: Member - Slim - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:59

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:59
Thanks to all for your input. Crowie I am interested in what you say about going to 265/75s as I was offered this size in Bridgestones for $215. Regarding the size, my speedo is very close to correct now according to GPS and I still have 265/70s.
The other info that I found interesting was the sales guy who told me that all HT, AT and LT carcasses are the same. He believes there is no advantage in going to a LT Tyre. I don't think this is correct, I think the LT type tyre has a stiffer sidewall!
AnswerID: 51253

Reply By: Member - Ric- Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 15:26

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 15:26
Bob Janes' at Bunbury WA charged me $916 for BFG's Sept 03 equates to $229 per tyre for 4. Had coopers a/t's before that and got 60,000 k's out of them butttt
BFG's are quieter and should get longer milage out of them... Ric
AnswerID: 51261

Sponsored Links