Bad Batch of ARB compressors

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 13:24
ThreadID: 11427 Views:1910 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I was down at ARB last week to get them to look at my compressor which keeps blowing its 30A fuse each time its used. Turns out they had a bad batch of compressors around July - Sept 03 where the manufacturer didnt seal the compressor motor properly. The result is the heat from the engine bay stuffs the sealent and the compressor dies.

Top work to ARB, they admitted straight away that it was a faulty compressor and they had spare compressors on hand and it would take about an hour to swap. Didnt even ask for proof of purchase.

Cheers,

Glenn.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 14:04

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 14:04
Glenn
They have no choice but to fix it under consumer protection laws so they are only doing what they have to weather they like it or not.

I look at it this way, they should have contacted all purchasers of defective products and recalled the product immediately they found out. Imagine when your out the back of nowhere and relying on the compressor for your diff lock in a dangerous situation, or trying to reinflate tyres, you'd be pretty dirty on them then for not telling you.

They did the same with their snatch straps when a whole lot failed a basic test - they blamed the manufacturer and said all was now OK. Their big hearted gesture was to extend the warranty by a year - how does that help some poor bloke stuck in a slippery gully.

Are ARB are just getting too big and forgetting attention to the little details.
AnswerID: 51259

Follow Up By: Hedonist - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 14:43

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 14:43
Strewth! You're either a hard man Cocka, or you work for the opposition! ;-)

I would be absolutly chuffed if half the places I buy things from reacted the way ARB did in this case when there are problems with their products...

Cheers,
Pete

FollowupID: 312990

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 16:35

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 16:35
ARB, i had uhf fitted when i picked up asked where is the manual oh its in the car they said, got home nothing. so emailed them no reply emailed again no reply so now i suppose will have to ring them as they can't be bothered to answer a customers email. GREAT SERVICE HEY!!!!!
FollowupID: 312993

Follow Up By: Rojac - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:18

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:18
Cocka

Tend to agree with you. Look at the money they are going to save if only 25% come in with compressor problems rather than 100% should they notify the affected ones.

Like most, provide great service when starting out, then when they get bigger "customer service" is a dirty word.

I'm not having a go at ARB in particular but there are many organisations which go down this path.
FollowupID: 313005

Follow Up By: Member - Kim (mr) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:45

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:45
Cocka, you are a hard man. I have heaps of ARB stuff and its all great. They would have to be the best company i've come across for backing up there product. And if with the snach straps you are refuring to the comparasion 4x4 monthly did a while back they only used one snatch strap of the shelf not a whole heap as you have said. Thats my two cents worth . Kim
FollowupID: 313009

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:46

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:46
Hedonist I don't have any association with ARB other than as an occasional customer.
3 weeks ago had a larger subtank and poly air bags fitted by them. I'm not knocking the service and I recognise that you can alwys get an occasional lemon but we are talking about batches of duds. There are many others customers still out there unaware they have bought a dud compressor or snatch strap.
Kim in the apology note in the next months mag they were the ones to admit that there was a faulty batch not up to the standards they required.

In the age of computers there is no reason why you should not be able to follow up any sale, if you want. For instance, I booked my wagon in, they now have my name and telephone number, if I had bought a compressor I would hope they'd contact me immediately, but they are not doing that, they wait until it fails. That's what's unethical.

FollowupID: 313033

Follow Up By: Ralph2 - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 13:52

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 13:52
Hi All, Glen I had a ARB compressor that did the same thing a few years ago,(5 or 6yrs) I was told it was from a bad batch, a machinery problem making the tolerance to small and when working heating up and seizing the piston causing it to draw more power blowing the fuse, they replaced it no problems, it's worked great under the bonett ever since running lockers and reinflating tyres on a regular basis.
FollowupID: 313102

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 19:56

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 19:56
There are many ways around those laws (trust me, I've worked for the badies before) and I know for a fact when I get work done at places like ARB most of the time it's just a cash sale docket, no other details taken. How are they supposed to contact me?
FollowupID: 313174

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:48

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:48
Glenno,
Why was the compressor under the bonnet in the first place. All compressors don't want heat , water and dust, the three things that are found under a bonnet.

If ARB can run ads in 4WDmags than they should have run a recall notice in the same 4WD mags alerting owners of the compressers about the recall.

Wayne
AnswerID: 51301

Reply By: Glenno - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:54

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:54
I think their response was much beter than the response from TJM in this months 4wd Monthly. Some bloke complained in letters to the editor that his bull bar wasnt fitted correctly (or something like that), and TJM's response in 2 words was basically get f@&ked.

Yes I agree laws are laws, but ARB could always do the usualy trick of we will have to send it back to the manufacturer and it will take 4 weeks to get it back etc. At least they will swap it on the spot.

That said I would be annoyed if it failed a month out of warranty.
AnswerID: 51309

Reply By: Hilly - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:22

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:22
I'm not sure about the rest of Australia but I never filled out a name and address form when I bought my compressor. Just how were they supposed to contact me?

Hilly
AnswerID: 51316

Follow Up By: Rojac - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:31

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:31
Fair enough coment but say your compressor kact it out of warranty, would you go back to ARB or just think ah well ok while it lasted so stiff sh*it, when all along there was some fault with the unit.

They should run recall ads as do supermarkets, dept stores, car dealers etc etc.
FollowupID: 313032

Follow Up By: Hilly - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 00:14

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 00:14
When you buy something Rojac, you should ask about the warranty before you pay your hard earned money. If you aren't happy with the warranty then you shouldn't buy it.

We all use our equipment at different levels. I may have only used my compressor a few times in anger over the 12 month warranty period and you may have used yours each day in order to reinflate four 285/75/16 tyres for the trip home on the highway after letting them down each morning to reach that special fishing spot that your retirement lets you enjoy. At the end of 12 months we are both in the same boat, warranty over. If mine died a month later on it's 4th use then you can bet your bum that I would be back to the supplier with a few choice words about his product's longevity, especially at the price we pay for them. I agree wholeheartedly that a faulty product should be replaced even after the warranty has expired if it known to be defective but how many papers or magazines are there available and how much would it cost to pay for ads in them all. I would rather see that money saved and used to pay for the repair or replacement of my goods when I return them.

Would it be fair for the guy who inflated 4 tyres every day to expect a replacement if his lasted a month past his warranty?

I wonder.

Hilly
FollowupID: 313248

Reply By: Patroleum - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:39

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:39
Cocka,
ARB have responded correctly. They can't contact owners of compressors or snatch straps as details are unknown. (Can Woolworths contact you to recall a toothbrush?). Hats off for their responsible approach, they have a vested interest in their products and business success.

Regards
Steve
AnswerID: 51318

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:26

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:26
Any company can get supplied a bad batch of goods at least they done somthing about it.
FollowupID: 313091

Reply By: Michael Ralston - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 22:04

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 22:04
I too have an ARB compressor as do a couple of friends. Try this with yours. Let it run for a while pumping up a tyre or two. Have a feel of the wiring after a couple of minutes. Bet its HOT. Hot means excessive resistance in the wiring. I don't reckon that should happen.
It's ironic that ARB will happily sell you a heavy duty wiring loop for your driving lights designed to reduce voltage drop, but also supply a wiring loom to a compressor that makes no effort to reduce voltage drop.
AnswerID: 51491

Follow Up By: Rojac - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 07:18

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 07:18
Probably because the compressor is rebadged and purchased at a much lower price than sold. If the wires heated on a $80 unit then buyer beware but on a $400 (or whatever they cost but I beleive they are not cheap)unit its unacceptable.

They are a business after all and have to maximise the profit margin.
FollowupID: 313259

Follow Up By: Glenno - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 18:33

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 18:33
Couldnt agree more regardin the hot wires. Problem is mine is sto stuffed it just short circuits and blows the fuse.

The fuse is 30 amps, so it obviously pulls the current through the cable, so its gota be a lot thicker cable than the crap they use now.
FollowupID: 313335

Sponsored Links