Sime tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1143 Views:9521 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, has anyone had any experience with Sime Tyres, I'm after tyres for my 99 jackaroo.
BFG's are the front runners but availability seems to be a problem at the moment.
Sime tyres are cheaper by a long shot, but are they any good.
Cheers Will.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
Will, do you mean SIMEX..or SYMEX..if so, they are a indonesian tyre from memory..4wd is at home, i'm at work,, I have had them, were ok..nuthing to write home about, and had a heap of balance problems,, the passenger car size tyres were excellent, but the big stuff, 10.5 R x 15 from info I have heard, from the tyre game, 1 in 5 are usually a problem.. I have had 1 replaced not long after purchase.. balance probs.. too much runout on the case ..
BFG's are great, but the cost is a bit..
Pirrelli have some nice looking A/T's out at the moment for round $150.
There is nothing particularly wrong with asian/indonesian sourced tyres, some of the larger world manufacturers have factory's there.
Probably better than the original Dunloss Craptreks etc we get on new vehicles!!
AnswerID: 3583

Reply By: Robert - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Will ,

I would have been apprehensive about buying this brand myself, however after purchasing a Nissan Patrol that had a brand new set of Sime Frontier tyres fitted and so far driven over 8000 klms I haven't been able to fault them to date
- initially I did think two of the tyres were faulty as the steering would occasionally get the wobbles when driven over 80 kph but this turned out to be the wheel centres that needed machining , since having the wheels fixed I haven't as yet had the wheels balanced and even so haven't experienced any vibration problems.
I've only travelled just over 8000 klm's on them but if these tyres continue to perform like they have so far I won't hesitate to purchase them and at the price if I destroy a tyre it's not expensive to replace.
AnswerID: 3591

Follow Up By: Will - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Robert and Andrew,
thanks for the input fellas, I think we are talking about different tyres here Andrew, but I'll definitely stay away fron Simex in the future.
Robert you are spot on about the price of these tyres, I can get them through a mate of mine for $125.00 each which is a huge difference, against $225.00 for BFG ATs. $500 against $900. I know that you get what you pay for but $400 savings is a big incentive.
My main concern is how are they in the wet and on the dirt.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Will.
FollowupID: 1455

Follow Up By: Robert - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Will,

On bitumen both wet or dry I haven't had these tyres loose their grip, haven't had the chance to do much offroad driving but what I have done can't fault them.
A dearer tyre may last longer but I assume a new cheaper tyre with full tread depth will perform better than a long lasting worn tyre in off road conditions so I would be happy to replace the tyres sooner if need be, but I might find these tyres last a long time too.
As there aren't many of these tyres sold here it's a bit hard to get a fair assessment of their quality, all I can say is I've had no problems so far.
FollowupID: 1456

Follow Up By: Andrew Donald - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Robert,
What was the machining work you had done 'cos a friend has a Patrol with the same problem and apparently its not uncommon.His shakes at the same speed as yours
TIA andrew
FollowupID: 1460

Follow Up By: Robert - Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
Andrew, I was told by two different tyre retailers that the wheels were buckled with the last tyre retailer saying that all 4x4 wheels
are normally buckled to some degree with mine being quite good compared to the average, they also said they didn't think
the amount of buckle would cause the problems I was having. I decided to take the wheels to a wheel repair place
(Eastern Wheel Works - Melb) where I was told that the wheels weren't actually buckled as such but instead the wheel centre's
weren't aligned with the outer rim, they put each wheel on a lathe and machined the back of the wheel centre surface where it mates to the vehicle hubs.
Very little needed machining from the wheel centre, in fact the guy from Eastern Wheel Works said he was surprised that I would
have noticed any steering problems caused by the wheels, however after having this done I haven't had any problems.
FollowupID: 1599

Reply By: Cashy - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Will,
I would recommend spending the extra and getting the BFG's. But what you might find is that by changing your tyre size slightly you may find the tyres cheaper and easier to get. On my Prado I went from 265/70 to 265/75 and saved over $40 a tyre. They are still $200+ a tyre but it might be an option. The manufactures tyre is not always the most popular size.

Cashy
AnswerID: 3595

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)