Long range fuel tanks..some thoughts on same

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 16:45
ThreadID: 11433 Views:3164 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Have been thinking about pros and cons on lr fuel tanks. I was thinking that if I had say a large fuel tank put on a vehicle... a lot of driving is done where fuel is available and does not need to be carried. Then there are the other times frequent or infrequent where a fair amout of fuel is needed. If I don,t keep my large fuel tank full of fuel, do I then risk a build up of water through condensation, and if I do keep it full, I now have to lug extra weight around, when maybe that,s not needed. Would I not be just well off having containers for extra fuel when needed,and no weight, or condensation probs? Yes room for fuel could a problem but I also only need to fill up my containers when needed, so I can save weight etc by getting to where I,m going , carry fuel, then come home without the weight etc....there just thoughts that,s all. Uther.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 17:26

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 17:26
The extra weight of around 50kg is not a problem as I have found detriment to my fuel consumption & it's easier than carrying jerry cans.
AnswerID: 51267

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 17:38

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 17:38
I have LR fuel tank fitted to my 100series. You have some very valid ideas and things that need to be considered.

My thoughts are:

1) I can take advantage of any 'spot' fuel pricing that is going on
2) I alternate between the 2 tanks, thus reducing any condensation problems and ensure that the switching mechanism, warning lights etc are kept working.
3) I really dont want the hassle of storing and decanting fuel into and out of containers.
4) When I do my 'big trip' in June I will do it knowing that I can get an AVERAGE of ABOUT, APPROXIMATELY (depending on road conditions, vehicle configuration 1500kms from the 2 tanks. That will certainly take some of the anxiety out of driving between outback fuel stops.

Hope these thoughts are of help in yr decision making :-)

AnswerID: 51270

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 17:45

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 17:45
P.S.

I always add a diesel dditive to my fuel tanks to reduce moisture problems, most of these additives have a water scavenger effect as well as the cleaning and bug killing properties.
FollowupID: 312996

Follow Up By: Member- Peter & Mrs Peter, Lez - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:58

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:58
Looking at same, you also have to consider rear suspension upgrade, when tanks are full the increased weight would be considerable. Also need to re-locate spare wheel quite costly to fit Kaymar type bumper and wheel carrier.
FollowupID: 313004

Reply By: Rojac - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:13

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:13
The second tank adds weight to the back which is advantageous.
AnswerID: 51275

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:42

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:42
Rojac,
excess weight is the same whether fuel is in LR tank or jerries. Extra weight is never a good thing - more stress on tyres/suspension/brakes and worse fuel economy.
FollowupID: 313008

Follow Up By: Rojac - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:25

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:25
A bit of weight in the back of the ute via the second tank is good, gives a bit more stability and less bounce until the tank runs out anyway.
FollowupID: 313030

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:50

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:50
Advantages of LR tank over jerries:

convenience

Advantages of jerries:

vehicle can be unloaded if necessary

much lower cost

other vehicles can be fuelled from fuel reserves

a holed tank isn't as tragic

If you are running ULP then there are areas where extra fuel must be carried. If you are running diesel there are very few trips of 1000 km or more between available fuel. If you aren't travelling the western desert regions then an LR tank is not necessary.
AnswerID: 51283

Reply By: Big Trev - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:27

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:27
We put a Brown/Davis long range tank in coz the original sprung leaks around the spot welds, we are really glad we did coz now we have about 1000 k radius, and we can always throw a couple of jerries on the camper trailer of we need to. Had the car since 1991, it has only done 165000, it spends alot of time in the shed and we have NEVER had a condensation problem.
AnswerID: 51295

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:49

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:49
My truck runs on unleaded. I have a 110lt LR tank in my truck and carry another 6 jerries when going on an extended trip. Can carry another 7 jerries in the trailer if needed. Yes, it is extra weight but when the truck is fully laden and fully fuelled up it sits level on standard leaf springs. But then again, it is a truck. Most of the time I am running on empty when commuting locally so there is little extra weight to contend with.

I must say I had trouble getting over a dune on the Border Track a couple of weeks ago. It was a hot day and I had the tyres down to 20psi. Could have dropped the pressure but was not inclined to. I also realised that I had 200lt of fuel on board. The weight does make a difference in difficult conditions.

AnswerID: 51303

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 22:48

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 22:48
When we were coming back from LD the other week,, we also came down the border track..... We had about 150litres on board and was struggling with the second to last dune...... Admittedly we were attempting the far left hand track which was the steepest and had no tyre tracks past the ½ way point...

So anyway our tyre pressure was 16psi and only just making it to the ½ way point and because we were lazy we flicked the front air locker on and two attempts both got us to the 3/4 mark......

Let 2 more psi out of all the tyres and straight over we went.....

What a difference pressure makes.... Which i knew but sometimes i have to prove it to myself......

And NO i wasnt spinning my wheels after i had stopped.... You can sorta work out if you are not going to make it.......

(this post was written with 3 x glava's and 5 glasses of johnny walker)
FollowupID: 313041

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:26

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:26
Uther,

I had a LR tank in my vehicle for a recent cape trip. It is great to be able to free up extra space instead of carrying extra jerry cans. The weight shouldn't be an issue as you have to carry the fuel regardless. The only prob I had was a mounting bracket that held the tank cracked and snapped off. I also had a chat to a local mech and he said he generally doesn't fit them because the tanks often fracture! So more food for thought but I couldn't have done my trip without it.

Leroy
AnswerID: 51364

Reply By: Davoe - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:52

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:52
Probably no right or wrong answer but depends on your needs. someone that is less mobile is not going to want the manuel handling of jerry cans and some one that doesnt stray far from home isnt going to need any more than a jerry or 2 to supplement their 80l. Me I have a campervan with about 65l main and 90l sub and I also carry 1 or 2 jerrys for extended trips I think for true extended touring such as the csr or the anne beadell the answer is both!
AnswerID: 51370

Reply By: Member - Bill (WA) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 13:06

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 13:06
The main reason I have a long range tank is that when I travel, mostly at night picking up supplies etc, It’s after hours and not every where in the country is there available fuel until normal trading hours.. A LR tank gives me approx 12 hours of fuel.. Sundown till Dawn if necessary.
Jerry’s at night aren’t much fun
Cheers

Bill
AnswerID: 51390

Sponsored Links