Polyairs over Coilrites?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:49
ThreadID: 11439 Views:1397 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
And again its the same old topic. Went to Opposite Lock yesterday and asked about airbags for my 80 series and he said he would only sell Polyairs and definately not coilrites for both and 80 and 100 series LC. He recons the coilrites are fine in any other vehicle but with the 80 and 100 apparently the airline can rip the connector out of the bag. To me the connection of the coilrite looks better but apparently he doesn't know why but they are no good on the 80 and 100. Any comments, I am about to order a set.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:59

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:59
As I said a couple of days ago, I'm having a very good run out of my polyairs on the Patrol. Done around 80,000klm so far. I usually keep about 20psi in them.

Cheers,

Roachie
AnswerID: 51312

Follow Up By: Member - Harris J (NSW) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:47

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:47
Roachie,
Do the Polyairs restrict your axle travel and articulation at all

Have a Good One
FollowupID: 313144

Follow Up By: Roachie - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:08

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:08
G'day Harris J,
Not that I've noticed mate. I've got supposedly 5" lift springs on the back (but I measured it against a stocker the other day and it was only 3" higher....could have something to do with the 3.28T that it weighs BEFORE I load it up for a trip....LOL). Anyway, the thing still seems to articulate okay. If anything, it's probably a bit restricted by the Koni shockers I've got on it, as they were put on almost from when the truck was new and I had 2" OME springs put on. Later, when I got the 5" Lovells put on the back (and 4" on the front), the blokes at Binskins reckoned the Konis would be okay.
However, I've noticed there is only about 3" of lift in the springs before the shockers are at full stretch. My next lot of shockers may have to be a bit longer, but then I'll have to get extended brake hoses etc no doubt.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 313149

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:05

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:05
Justin,

I have not seen coilrites but Polyair have been around for some time.
With the 100 and 80 it is very important that a 44mm hole is drilled in the top of the spring tower to allow the air hose connector to move around.
Air pressure as mention in another post should be around 20psi at all times.

Wayne
AnswerID: 51313

Reply By: Billy - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:12

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:12
I know everyone's experience varies, but in relation to pressures in Polyairs, I'd argue it kind of defeats the purpose if you are running them around with the same high pressure all the time.

If you found you were in need of constant assistance from the Polyairs, would you not be better off with a heavier spring?

I have King's heavy duty springs with a 50mm lift all around, but found when fully loaded (with rooftop tent and chuckwagon over the rear) that the ass still sagged a little, particularly with full tanks. Even so, after a little experimenting, I found 12-15psi was enough to tighten up the rear end, any more than that introduced unnecessary harshness.

Everyday driving and unladen, I let them out to 7psi which is a safe margin on the 5psi minimum recommendation. 20psi would be pretty hard, even under a heavy load.

JMO

Regds

Bill
AnswerID: 51432

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:40

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:40
Bill,
What your vehicle is fully loaded when you go away, mine is just about all the time. Apart from food and clothes I don't unpack my Cruiser.
The polyairs also help correct the body roll which the Cruisers tend to have.
Setting the polyairs to thr correct pressure is a trail and error and no two vehicles would be the same.
Wayne
FollowupID: 313150

Follow Up By: Billy - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 22:11

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 22:11
Wayne,

I understand you. I have a mate in a similiar situation to you (and an 80 series wagon), he went with an extra Heavy duty progressive spring in the back (Kings I think). even with a heavy load, the first inch or two of travel is pretty supple, amazing....something to consider.

As you can see, for me Polyairs are ideal (huge variance in loads), but I did notice a difference in compression travel and therefore comfort over washouts and dips when installed. Then again, body roll was also reduced....

Regds

Bill
FollowupID: 313221

Sponsored Links