sticky hubs?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 21:54
ThreadID: 11442 Views:1643 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
i've noticed my manual hubs on the hilux have been getting a bit stiff to turn lately...

is this something i should be concerned about? or just a symptom of the mud and gunk that i've been bathing in lately?

can i do my standard trick - soak the area with wd40?
will it do any good? worse still, will it perish a seal / destroy the grease / something bad?

cheers,

KG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 22:06

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 22:06
KG,

If you have been going through mud then some water might have got in. Take the hubs of and have a look, the grease and mud might be mating and that will lead to a bearing mealt down.
If you have not taken the hubs apart before do one side at a time. To remove the bearings a 53mm socket will be required to remove the lock nuts. Try to get one as using a cold chiesel to remove and replace the lock nuts will soon damage the lock nuts.
Playing in the mud will mean that the bearings will have to be done on a regular basis and the 53mm socket will soon pay for itself.

Wayne
AnswerID: 51320

Reply By: donk - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 23:47

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 23:47
Hilux front hubs tend to get hard to turn regardless of if you have been in mud & dust

What you normally do is when the wheel bearings are repacked (20,00klms under normal conditions)is to dissasemble & clean & regrease the hub dial & engagment mechanism & this will free them up

What i would do is remove the dial (6 x 10mm bolts) and inspect the grease in the wheel bearing area for any sign of water entry or discolouration

If the grease looks ok ( and it is less than 20,000 klms since a repack) just dissasemble,clean & regrease the hub dial itself (easy job)& not do the wheel bearings until due

Regards Don
AnswerID: 51337

Reply By: Allan-TPWA - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 21:47

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 21:47
Had the same problem with mine a 99 model, I just pulled the manual hubs apart and cleaned and regresed them, all good. The one thing to remember if you don't remember anything else is that when you seperate the red locking part that sits inside the black outer part that bolts onto the housing, there is a little spring and a ball bearing that acts as the notch and tension when the hubs are turned to lock or free. When you seperate these 2 parts the ball bearing shoots out and takes a very long time to find, so make sure this part of the operation is done inside a rag or something.

Allan
AnswerID: 51485

Sponsored Links