120 Prado shift lock

Submitted: Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:18
ThreadID: 11448 Views:11833 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'Dat all,
Any owners of the 120 Prado know how to dis-engage the shift lock? That's the button directly in front of the shift lever in the V6 petrol auto GLX. I've inadvertantly managed to activate it! Now I have to press this button before being able to shift out of "park". It's a pain in the date! I thought I'd ask here before doing the "run around" with Toyota.
Any ideas?
Regards,
Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: landcrusa - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:21

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:21
To shift out of park on the Grande you need to press the brake pedal.
AnswerID: 51359

Follow Up By: Bazza - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:30

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:30
G'day Landcrusa,
Thanks for your responce. You are correct ... same with the GXL, but it apparently makes no difference when the shift lock is engaged. ( Sorry, I should have mentioned this. ) I can still press the brake with no joy unless I also press the shift lock button, then I can select drive?
Regards,
Barry.
FollowupID: 313070

Follow Up By: landcrusa - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:48

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:48
The shift lock button is not in fact a lock. Its actually a release button and its action should self cancel after each use. If you can't engage D with the brake pressed ( and engine running) it sounds to me like you have a warranty fault.
FollowupID: 313071

Follow Up By: Bazza - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 10:02

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 10:02
G'day Landcrusa,
Thanks again for your responce. You could be right about the warranty claim, but I remember some thing when I picked the Prado up from the dealer .... I asked what the shift lock button was for? He replied .. it's for the mechanics, when used, it allows them to shift the transmission level without pressing the brake pedel and that I did'nt need to know. Well now I do! I guessing that there is some sequence of events that engage & dis-engage this option. True or false? I was hoping that someone else had encountered this before I questioned Toyota.
Regards,
Barry.
FollowupID: 313073

Follow Up By: landcrusa - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 10:09

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 10:09
My guess is that the, presumably electronic, signal from the brake pedal has failed, neccesitating a manual press of the release button each time.
Fuses OK?
FollowupID: 313074

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:37

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:37
Bazza,

Some of the late model Nissans have this button as well. The way I thought it worked is that when park was selected and the vehicle moved a bit , hand brake not applied or not holding the vehicle, the locking pin which is engaged when park is selected would jam. To release the pin the vehicle (gearbox) had to be moved to release the pressure on the pin. The shift lock button when pressed released the pin.
This a simpllified explanation of how the gearbox works when park is selected but it might help.

Wayne
AnswerID: 51366

Follow Up By: Bazza - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:18

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:18
G'Day Wayne,
Thanks for your responce. Not sure if if works the same way on the Prado and after talking with Toyota ... any info relating to this mechanism seems to be considered "secret men's business" as they are very hesitant to "please explain". There is a way of using this, but Toyota's not saying.
Anyway ..... landcrues was on the right track. I took his advise and checked all the fuses and found three ( 3 ) of them blown, 2x10amp under the bonnet and 1x10amp under the dash. I then re-checked the manual and although there is no section or reference to them in "vehicle opperation or in knobs & switches", there is one mention in the blow-up
of the under-bonnet fuse box. I have no idea why it took out the other two fuses but the problem probably happened when I hired a trailer on the weekend. It must have had a wiring problem.
Something to remember, if it ever happens to anyone else.
Thanks again guys for your help.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 313090

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 18:41

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 18:41
Hi Bazza
Do you own the car or do Toyota ??
If it's something you can use / press I think for the money you pay you have a right to know what it is or does.

Cheers
AnswerID: 51447

Sponsored Links