Shocks and tyre wear

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:38
ThreadID: 11478 Views:1973 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
All

I have a 2001 Challenger (coil springs) and have recently (10k ago) had a set of Cooper AT's fitted (265/70/15). Took them back yesterday for their first wheel alignment/balance as required by warranty. I am a bit concerned as to the wear rate. Original tread depth was 10.9mm (as per website specs), now they measure them at 8.5, I got high 7's. But then again they are probably looking at a maximum value and I am looking at a minimum. Taking their values and assuming I get constant wear this should only give me around 40k. They are guaranteed for 50k, so one would expect at least 60-70k as standard. According to the tyre store, the tyres should wear better in the second half of their life. Is this correct?? I do not think I am overly hard on them. They have seen <1000k off road so far. I always thought that tyre wear got worse as they got old due to decreasing diameter.

They also mentioned that I will need new shocks soon. The car is only 3y old and done 53k. It seems a bit soon for new shocks. What is normal?

Cheers

Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: robb - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:56

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:56
Hi Tim, I have a 2000 model Challenger that is for sale at the moment, I had the Cooper A/T's on it for 6000kms. They wore exremely badly and upon taking them back to my ARB man he agreed that they were wearing badly and did a deal on changing over to a new set of BFG M/T's... Maybe they were part of a bad batch.... I changed the shocks and springs on mine around the same time and got OME suspension fitted, upon driving it out of ARB the difference in ride and comfort was massive. Mine had 75k when the shocks and rear springs were done. Not sure if tyres wear better in the second half of their life, but I know my M/T's have done around 20k and are looking in great shape.. Mayybe another 25-30k left in them.
AnswerID: 51537

Follow Up By: tim_s - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:07

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:07
How badly is "extremely badly"? I would be keen to know if the wear I have got fits into that catorgery. If so I would look at changing them ASAP. The dealer currently has be almost convinced that the wear rate will improve.

Tim
FollowupID: 313466

Reply By: Topend - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:00

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:00
The reason some tyres wear less during their second half of life is the taper on the tread blocks. As the tyre wears the blocks get wider therefore there is more rubber in contact with the road.

Shocks can wear quite quickly but if your happy with the way the vehicle handles a rough road (ie wheels stay in contact with the road and the vehicle settles after hitting a bump) they should still be OK. Pedders and the like are able to test shockies on the vehicle if you r not sure.

Topend
AnswerID: 51540

Reply By: Allfour4x4 - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:06

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:06
Tim,
A fellow club member "wore out" a set of ST's on a trip to the Cape and back (15,000k's) I think there was a crap batch/batchs out there. I hope so anyway as we have just fitted a set of ST-C's - fingers crossed! The previous BFG's had 55,000k's on 'em when we changed and looked as though they'd still be legal at twice that. On Prado.
Glenn B.
AnswerID: 51645

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 23:01

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 23:01
Could someone tell me what the guarantee is on these Cooper s ... they are dear as poison and seem to need wheel alignments every few months..where can taht be done in the outback.. and all in all ..they seem to me to be an expensive tyre with a costly follow up ...any comments..?
AnswerID: 51690

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 23:13

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 23:13
From what I can find:

Coopers place a different mileage guarantee on each model of tyre. If the tyre wears to 1.6mm of tread (the legal minimum in all states) inside this km figure then they will pay a PRO-RATA allowance to fit new tyres. This is provided you have had the tyres serviced (rotated, balanced, pressure checked) by a Coopers dealer each 10,000km and it seems (based in prior posts) that off road use can void the warranty.

So the upshot is that that they are guaranteed to reach a certain mileage (depending on model (AT, ST, STT)) provided you look after them and comply with strict terms and conditions.

I am fitting a set of Cooper A/Ts to my new Prado, principally because they are one of the few tyres available in the 17" size.

When I wear these ones out in about 18 months I expect a wider range of alternate brands to be available

Best of luck

Steven
FollowupID: 313432

Follow Up By: tim_s - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:23

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:23
Steven L

THe cooper's warranty conditions are posted online, see

Cooper Warranty

There is no mention of offroad voiding warranty, but there are a few strange clauses:

1. "The mileage warranty is only applicable to Capital City purchases"

Seems living outside a capital city causes higher wear rate on all tyres!!

2. "The replacement charge will be determined by multiplying the consumer’s original purchase price by the percentage of original tread depth worn from the tyre."

So it seems that there is no difference between a tyre that has lasted 20k and 49k (assuming a 50k guarantee). The best I could hope for is about a 85% (amount of tread that can be worn before the tyre is illegal) replacement cost. For deeper treads, this number increases! I had assumed that the replacement cost would be pro rata on the mileage not tread depth. Cooper are of course not going to replace a tyre until it is illegal!

3. "A participating dealer has the right to refuse or vary the warranty period based on their discretion, or because of the particular use of the vehicle"

So if the wear rate is high, it seems that the dealer can wash there hands of it at their discretion!

I think that the waranty is probably not worth that much, but here's hoping I never have to claim!

Tim
FollowupID: 313467

Follow Up By: Allfour4x4 - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:28

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:28
Steve,
With our new ST-C's the dealer was to charge $78.00 extra if you wanted the warranty, from what I've heard it's a waste of money - To many hassles involved in trying to claim. Better off keeping the money and rotate and look after tyres as per normal.
FollowupID: 313762

Reply By: Aaron - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 00:14

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 00:14
I have just got back from a round Australia trip with an 83 model landcruiser (diesel) and had a set of Cooper ST's fitted, the wear rate has been very very poor for a tyre that costs $250 each and large chuncks of tread have broken off the side of the tyre on 2 of the six tyres. I have only done 22,000km most of which was bitumen with some reasonable off road work. I have contacted a Coopers representative and my Bob Jane dealer and neither have had the liberty to call me back, i think im about to get the run around! Two of the tyres I believe are defects as they will be lucky to see 25,000 km before they are unroadworthy and at risk of blowing out. i will keep the rest of you informed as to how Coopers and Bob Jane Tmarts deal with my cliam.

Regards, Aaron
AnswerID: 51710

Reply By: Glenno - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 22:49

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 22:49
I sold my 2000 Coil sprun Challenger back in July 2003. the original Bridgestone HT's lasted about 40K and I had Cooper AT's that had clocked up 35K and had heaps of life left in them. They would have easily lasted past the warranty if I had kept the car long enough.

I had spent a lot of time on dirt road the shocks were fine. Be wary of the tyre shop trying to get you to part with your hard earned cash. Go down to Pedders or one of those places and get them to test the shocks and give you the results, rather than an off the cuff remark about needing new shocks.

Cheers,

Glenn.
AnswerID: 51863

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 22:03

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 22:03
Thanks to all for their assistance... i had a wheel balance over the weekend and asked my man at the tyre shop- wher the man that owns the store runs the store etc,, and he gave me to believe that he cxarried the can for any agro that his customers may have had with Coopers Tyres... reckoned that the hassle with the agents was all a waste of time and cheaper to carry the losses himself....so i supose thats why they are so expensive and dealers seem to be wary of giving a cut on their prices..This all came about as i recently saw a Coopers shredded by the barby at Birdsville...but as we are told that never happens..
FollowupID: 314125

Sponsored Links