Comment: An Interesting drive from Warri Gate to The Dig Tree Campsite on Cooper

Heather, we had a similar experience out that way in 1984 without a satnav and with pretty ordinary maps. Sounds like you were on Santos and Orientos station tracks as we were. We overnighted trackside near Orientos and drove onto the Dig Tree at daybreak. We were there completely by ourselves. In those days there was a ford across Cooper Ck at the Dig Tree. We had one of the most enjoyable bbq breakfasts there ever. In 2000, on the road from Noccundra to Warri Gate, we came upon a party of three caravans all bogged to the hilt because they missed a detour track. We gave what little assistance we could. As the weather was cold and dry, they were going to overnight there and try again the next morning. Their 4WDs were able to get out but not the vans. Glad you enjoyed it. We are off to the outback for two glorious weeks next Saturday.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:14

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:14
Hi Jon,

That was the track we were on...its just that my maps showed it as being like the Diamantina Development road and we travelled that last year without problems so assumed it would be similar...and I guess it was in the end.
I did feel a bit funny about opening gates and driving through properties but I guess it is the same as driving across grids...and we do that all the time without a thought!
I was surprised at how few people were camping at the Dig tree...we had a lovely site with at least 100 metres, maybe twice that, between us and anyone else although we chose a place quite a long walk from the toilets.
I took some great photos there and it is another blog in the making, when I get a chance to write it up, and while we have a Telstra signal...none in Windorah area where we will be for the next few days we hope....another lovely camp spot on the Cooper.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 548503

Sponsored Links