airtech snorkels

Submitted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1150 Views:5608 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of fitting an Airtech snorkel to my 100 series cruiser.This snorkel fits very flush along the front pillar and the air intake is at the top of and flush with the windscreen . Apparantly the air flowing up the screen causes a ram effect and assists intake,but what stops rainwater being rammed into the intake as well.They are a great looking snorkel and very aerodynamic but the rainwater worries me.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cameron Brinkworth - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
I have an Airtech snorkel fitted to my 98 Holden Rodeo and find it to be a great addition.
I live in Darwin and we have alot of rain during our wetseason and I dont have a problem with water getting to or past the airfilter.
I recon that most snorkels on the market would work very much in the same way(if fitted correctly) and it just depends on which type most suits you vehicle.
AnswerID: 3600

Reply By: Cashy - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
Chapo,

Before you fit the Airtec snorkel there are afew points to think about. 1) what is your planned usage of the vehicle? If you plan to do a lot of trips outback, in convoy, or sand. Then I would recommend the Safari snorkel as you can turn the ram around or fit a pre cleaner. 2) Do you really need to fit a snorkel? If it is a petrol vechicle there is no real advantage unles you are doing water crossings. If you do get one fitted make sure it is fitted by a qualtiy 4WD store as it will do more harm then good if not properly fitted and sealed.

Cashy
AnswerID: 3601

Reply By: Nigel - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
I have a Safari snorkel on my GQ patrol. My father-in-law got an airtech snorkel on his GQ Patrol (same year). His vibrates and has enlarged the mounting holes in his pillar which has lend to rust starting. I'm glad I got a Safari.
AnswerID: 3604

Follow Up By: Geoff - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

This probably shows that the choice of installer is more important than choice of snorkel.
FollowupID: 1475

Reply By: Wayne - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

Chapo

For what it is worth i recently put a snorkel on my 100 series. When speaking with my 4wd drive mechanic he would only fit an airtec snorkel if the customer specifically asked for one. Otherwise he uses and recommends the Safari snorkel - therefore I went with the safari snorkel
AnswerID: 3620

Sponsored Links