Outback House

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 01:12
ThreadID: 11507 Views:1462 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I may cop some flak here but I think it is in a good cause.

There is a new Reality TV series to be made called Outback House. It is to be made by a UK production house in association with the ABC (of which I am an employee) and is the eighth is a series of period recreations (1940's house, Edwardian house, Frontier house). Unlike the gameshow or prize based crap this is the real fly-on-the-wall documentary type of reality TV.

It is to be based on a Sheep Station in 1861 outback Australia. The ABC is calling for willing participants for the 3 and a half month filming to go back in time and live as the people of the time would have lived.

I have registered for this as a potential participant and would love to know if other forumites would be interested in this given the affinity that many forumites have with outback Oz and exploring outback history.

I think it would be fascinating to take part and it would be a life-changing experience to be part of this project without any exposure to anything electronic for 15 weeks. I don't know what part of the outback they have in mind but I'm sure they would pick somewhere challenging!

Love to hear your comments

Steven
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 06:59

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 06:59
G'DAY Steve
Is this simial to the program run by the ABC about 6 months ago? They were in America following 5 families who had to live as 1860's pioneers with no modern conveniences of any typeand were required to produce all their own food and build their own homes. If so I reckon it would be great .I'd love to try it. Hope it gets off the ground I'm sick to death of American TV shows and refuse to watch the majority of them. It seems to me that everyone under the age of 25 speaks american and know little of Australian speak. (Im off my horse now) I hope the program goes well.

regards jeff
AnswerID: 51722

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:07

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:07
Jeff,

Yes that was called Frontier House. I believe it was done by the same UK production company. They seem to be doing a series around the world.

Steven
FollowupID: 313465

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:34

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:34
Hi Steven

sounds like a great idea....might give some people an appreciation of what life was like back things without the modern luxeries we take for granted today - like refridgerated food, power, running water, motor vehicles, ,modern farming techniques etc etc...it'll be interesting where they choose to film it...hope you get a chance to participate ...the others in the series have been great...

Lyn
AnswerID: 51736

Reply By: Member - Ric- Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 12:56

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 12:56
Hi Steve,
what do they expect the life expectancy of the participants be in the proposed series.......... I believe there weren't too many sheep stations around in those days.
The Kimberleys werent really settled till the late 1860's onwards
I like the concept but 15 weeks without a computer ... think about the withdrawal symptoms and at the age of 57 I don't think I would last even though I have lived in the outback around Cue WA Wiluna and NW
..... regrds Ric
ps u could try to entice me!!!
AnswerID: 51745

Reply By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:13

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:13
Hmmmmm...take my wife.......PLEASE !
AnswerID: 51769

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:16

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:16
I wonder if there were as many flies in the 1860's....although William Dampier, in the late 1600's said of what is now known as Derby...."A hellhole of flies and heat"

What is the fascination of going back in to the past. The people of 150 years ago did not have it any harder than we have today apart from transport. Things just took longer and it took longer hours to complete a job. There was also a lot of serious planning involved just like we do before going on a trip. For some of us to be transported back in time will present itself with difficulties but I am sure that within a short space of time we would manage things, Man is ever so resourceful.

But a TV Reality show will be contrived by nature and I would have no interest in watching it.
AnswerID: 51784

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 17:06

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 17:06
Yes, I have put our family into the hat and we have been excited by the possibilities and expected realities of life in teh outback in teh 1860's. we await some news.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 54821

Sponsored Links