Oops......

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 12:56
ThreadID: 11514 Views:1578 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
A couple of weeks ago I pulled into the local supermarket car park and noticed a bloke having a bit of trouble trying to separate the wiper blade from the arm on the same model troopy as mine, so being the helpful, decent fella that I am I gave him a hand and showed him how to unclip the blade.

Around about an hour ago I was in the same carpark when I saw what I thought to be the same troopy drive in, but then changed my mind because a different bloke was driving it. He saw me looking at his truck and when he got out he asked what was the matter. I said that I thought it was the same vehicle that had wiper problems a couple of weeks back and he said that it is the same vehicle - 'somebleepripped off my wiper blades - what do you know about it'

I told him what had happened and to my surprise, he laughed his guts out and then told me that a similar thing happened to him once when he helped a bloke remove a towbar tongue on an 80 series in a carpark - he had helped a thief.

It makes you wonder if you are doing the right thing at times.

Diesel 1
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 13:05

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 13:05
Nice one!

Just when you think you are doin' a bloke a favour......

Things you think about in hindsight....I suppose the troopy was locked up when you were helping "owner number 1". Did he look nervous when you approached him?

Ah well...live and learn eh!

Steven
AnswerID: 51747

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:17

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:17
"Live and learn" we certainly do. I helped a lady with her non starter EH in a shopping centre carpark. Terminals were filthy and corroded, so I cleaned them up, put leads back on, took a long push to get her going, it started, off she roared, and then stopped and picked her boyfriend/husband up further down the carpark!
Not a thankyou or even a wave.
"Never again" I thought.
Then while working on the road between Fitzroy and Halls Creek, stopped and helped some aboriginal people whose station wagon wasn't too healthy.
Gave the Mums and kids a load of orange juice (Dad had other liquid supplies which he offered us a taste of), got it started and off they went, smiles all round.
About a month later I was at a rodeo in Fitzroy or Derby and up at the bar (where else would I be?) there was a big shout from a local and it was Dad from the broken wagon.
Thanked me very much, gave us all an invite to their station and bought me a beer!
Faith in human nature restored.
FollowupID: 313501

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:13

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:13
Hi Alan,
Your story of helping the aboriginals is very accurate when you come across a good bunch. They ALWAYS remember a face. You can be sure if you do a good dead for them, and come back a year later, they'll even remember your name. Spooky almost!
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 313519

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:35

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:35
Lot's of good ones around Michelle. Worked with some good ones generally and they were quick to pick things up jobwise, pity everybody, no matter what race, gets the same bad press because of problems with some.
Although in certain areas the troublemakers seem to be in the majority!

FollowupID: 313526

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:26

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:26
Hey Michelle
I hope you meant to say "good deed" as in - intentionally well meaning, and not
"good dead" as in "im longa time no life boss" :o)))
FollowupID: 313536

Follow Up By: Diesel 1 - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 21:24

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 21:24
G'day Steven,
The amazing thing about it was the fact that the thief was real cool, calm & collected - didn't show any nervousness at all. He seemed genuinely interested when I showed him the release clip to remove the blade from the arm and thanked me for helping. I guess you could call him a gentleman thief.

Diesel 1
FollowupID: 313597

Reply By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:56

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:56
Mean while..his family and friends were striping your car down...lmao....sorry had to toss that one in.
Yeh you never know what people wil do ay.
After reading the stories about the shopping center car parks, I am wondering how many times ive helped a thief get parts. Ya just never know.
AnswerID: 51766

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:33

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:33
First Question - "Is this your car"

When a cop walks up and puts his hand on your shoulder and your helping a thief do you think he hasn't head the story before ' Honest, I was just.........."
It take a lot of fast talking to convince them.
FollowupID: 313539

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:30

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:30
I find it impossible to believe someone would steal Wiperblades.. They are $8 from Big W.
AnswerID: 51775

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:36

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:36
Working on that basis no one would or should go shoplifting with hundreds, sometimes thousand in their pockets! But it happens.
There's no level too low for some of the pond life around, that's why we have car alarms, burglar alarms, burglar bars and extra locks on doors etc.
But there's still some nice people out there, it's just hard to find them sometimes!
FollowupID: 313543

Follow Up By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:38

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:38
The you've got more faith in humanity than me!

FollowupID: 313544

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:44

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:44
Now now Jon, not everybody is a politician, there are still the odd (very odd!) decent people out there!
As I said , they're just hard to find sometimes.
FollowupID: 313548

Follow Up By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:50

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:50
Don't get me wrong, the world full of decent people. I'm just not surprised that someone would flog a used $8 part. The heights great people can achieve are phenominal, the depths the ratbags achieve equally so.

Cheers!
FollowupID: 313549

Follow Up By: Diesel 1 - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 21:43

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 21:43
G'day Truckster,
Up here in Darwin they will steal anything mate.

I know a bloke who had his boat trailer pinched while he was out fishing so he drove back to his work depot and borrowed a tilt tray truck so he could snig his boat out. He kept the truck at home overnight and when he got to the work depot in the morning there was his pride & joy 80 series minus bullbar (complete with winch & driving lights etc), all wheels gone, no bonnet, no doors, no tailgates, no seats, no engine and transmissions and no front & rear axles. All this had been stripped and stolen during a 7 hour period and the weird part of it was that the thieves hadn't busted through the perimeter fence at the depot - they had gone over the fence and everything they took had gone out the same way. The cops busted the mongrels a few weeks later and found that they had used a truck with a hi-ab crane - only 3 blokes did all that in 7 hours. Damn good workers.

Diesel 1
FollowupID: 313600

Sponsored Links