buying a terrano

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 13:12
ThreadID: 11517 Views:1573 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I've been looking at a 92 Terrano as my first 4x4 and had my mechanic take a look at it. Everything seems fine, except for a brown/dusty, dry stain on the right side of the engine block. The mechanic spent half an hour trying to find out what it was, but could not work it out. There were no leaks and the compression test was good. There was obviously a problem that has either been patched up for the sale or fixed properly.

Has anyone come across this?

Also, NRMA does not insure the Terrano but insures the Terrano 1($780) and Terrano 2. What is theTerrano 1 ?
I thought the Terrano 1 was the Terrano.

Other places I found that insure the Terrano are Suncorp $1200 (rating 3) and Just Cars $830
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Don (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:19

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:19
Rob,
A mare of mine has got the later model terrano with the 3ltr turbo diesel he also had problems getting insurance.The only crowd that would insure him was 'Just Cars" as weel.No one else would touch him.he rang a lot of companys to no avail.
Good luck with it.
AnswerID: 51758

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:50

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:50
Hi Rob,
We have the MU insured with Australian 4WD Insurance ph no 1800 800 471 Around $600 we pay by the month so I not quite sure and it's covered for off road as well.
Anyway I think you would be better off with an MU 3.1 ha ha,
Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 51765

Follow Up By: Rob! - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:14

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:14
I just rang Aust 4wd insurnace and it's farily reasonable considering...
$761 (rating 3)

Thanks
R.
FollowupID: 313534

Reply By: Davoe - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:02

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:02
How much is a 1992 terrano worth? depending on your finincial situation it may be not worth insuring for those sums. Both my previos and current vehicle are/were not insured as they were purchased for modest sums. Eccept for 3rd party most insurers will insure you for that even if they wont insure the vehicle best value for under 100 bucks going around. I would always think 2wice before comprahensivly insuring a vehicle under 10,000
AnswerID: 51768

Follow Up By: Rob! - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:23

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:23
Thanks everyone for your answers. V. helpfull.

Yeah, the torrano's only worth about $8500 so third party, fire and theft insurance may be the way to. That's what I had for my last car, 84 300zx (couldn't get over the dunes), where comprehensive insurance would cost almost half the price of the car.
FollowupID: 313522

Reply By: Jimmy - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:13

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:13
Hey Rob, NRMA insured my Terrano for just on $600 Rating 1 compehensive cover but they will only insure u for market value. They won't do agreed value.
Mine was a 92 model and I can only assume it was a Terrano 1 although I have never heard of them referred to as anything other than just plain old Terrano.
Terrano 2's are a completly different shape.

Don't have a clue about your stain but things to be aware of are:
Terranos have a tendency to get rather hot rather easily. A short moderate climb with the Aircon on will soon see the needle heading for the red Zone. Sand driving will see it rapidly head in the same direction if its a little soft. Brief runs are ok but if you have to do a few Klms watch out. This problem can be fixed a bit by installing a four core radiator $$ This is one of the main reasons I sold mine. I really don't like constantly watching the Temp gauge head for the sky!
The Auto box is said to be a little weak to I personally had no problems with mine but when I went to trade it thats the first thing the dealer checked. I know of one person who installed a transmission cooler on his bullbar.
The alternator went on mine also quite common $380.00 + Labour
Also the fuel pump went, apparently did'nt like the low sulpher in the Aussie deisel $1000 ono but if yours has been in the country for while it may have already been done.

I enjoyed my Terrano, Great in the sand (if a little gutless when really soft but then theres always low range) Great on the road. Ground clearance not great

cheers Jim
AnswerID: 51798

Follow Up By: Rob! - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:29

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:29
Thanks Jim

I'll look out for the things you mentioned. I also noticed they have a tendency to rust about where the rear seats are..

R.
FollowupID: 313542

Reply By: jules15 - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:22

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:22
Is it a turbo diesel 2.7? If so you won't have any problems - the non-turbo petrol motor was a gas guzzler/gutless wonder - but the turbo diesel 2.7 - brilliant - we had one for about 4 years - did thousands of k's - Alice, twice - Darwin - Oodnadatta track etc - Queensland outback - Fraser Island - all towing a fully loaded camper trailer - and never had a problem - the only time the tem gauge went up was aircon on - towing - up a steep hill - cooled down pretty quick when aircon turned off and got to the top of the hill - we had the alternator go as well - approx $300 - nothing else major - just general wear and tear - economical - 9500 k's - $965.00!!!!! traded up to a Terrano II mid last year - great car - - by the way can get a product called "Flashlube" from Don Kyatt 4wd shops (in Victoria anyway) - is a diesel treatment - lots of truckies use it which is how I got onto it - brother is a truckie - keeps injectors clean, improves fuel economy, helps with sulphur probs etc - would recommend it to anyway one with a diesel - probably get some comments on this - but I reckon it works as does my mechanic - he reckons both my cars have benefited from this stuff - so each to his own I reckon -
anyway enjoy - the Terrano will go anywhere any of the "big boys" will go -
jules
AnswerID: 51889

Follow Up By: Rob! - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:52

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:52
Well, that's all good to hear, and yes, it is the 2.7 TD.

I am planning some trips to fraser and the islands. The last time I was on fraser would have been in '92. Walked through it for five days. I wonder if it has changed much.

Thanks for the info, and I'll lookout for that "flashlube".
FollowupID: 313682

Sponsored Links