Do not travell the ann bedel

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 15:21
ThreadID: 11545 Views:5492 Replies:13 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Got home this morning about 3.30am had to jump (medical) last two days of the trip to mt ive will do this later

The road from coober pedy to 50 km past the SA border is as bad a track as I have ever travelled not because it is impassable but parts of it has not been maintained since 1962

It took three days driving to compleate and we averaged 26 kms an hour and were lucky to do that at times we were down to walking speed and according to GPS our highest speed was 56kms dont remember geting that fast as it is bad all the time

You will damage your vechical it is just too rough and over grown
2 shockers, 1 rear mirror, all airials had to take off before destroyed, 2 tyres, rear tyre carrier, trailer cable, 4 cans beer in esky on ice, 12 cool drink, 1 trouble light

I know this is light damage but remember we were travling very slow and had a pupose built trailer that had most of the weight

There are at least 9 places where you can come to grief and I dont just mean the vechical and two of them are before you join the main track at mable creek the new grids have been built above ground and are too steep with one having a washout on the other side you can not see even as you cross at +15 you will come to grief. We removed at least twenty trees from the track every time a bush falls on the track people just swing round it espesilly on the top of the sand hills from vokes corner

From the boarder on it is a fair road with little challange just whatch the side trip to the plane

The new fuel stop is working although a call ahead I belive would be apreciated
they are selling diesol fuel only and dont mind doing so they are going to put in an another 10,000 storage, basic stores, no ice as solar powered and gen as backup, they will also be selling objects of art shortly and touristy things

If you travel the SA side and break down the police will not send there vechicals out to meet the same fate you will have to wait for hellicopter or locals

Have some GPS readings from rail will send them in a couple days if anybody whishes to talk to me about the trip I wiil send ph num on personal list

I have taked to the police re the road since reaching WA and advised them of conditions we were the first through in six weeks according to the book at the border they have advised that everyone prior to us turned back before emu or turned there to the south and that there is a desire to actualy close the road to all but local traffic I personally belive that to travell alone like we did (have never travelled in group ever) would not be wise we had all the bits but certinaly used them this time

David please update the cars against this road not for difficaulty but for danger and vechical damage

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 16:27

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 16:27
Frank,

I think by your post, you will actually encourage more people to go out on the "Anne Beadell" this year.

The way you descibe it makes it sound most challenging.

The first few vehicles through each season invariably have the most obsticles etc. By mid-season I think you'll find the track will be mostely cleared.

Half your luck for doing it though!!

Regards

Equinox.
AnswerID: 51925

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 19:35

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 19:35
I agree with you Equinox...most likely it will get more traffic now
FollowupID: 313752

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:27

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:27
see bottom message number ooo
FollowupID: 313926

Reply By: Phil G - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 16:43

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 16:43
Hi Frank,

The Anne Beadell Hwy is unmaintained, and in this remote part of the country you are on your own. Listened to a series of calls on VKS last year for a single vehicle with broken diff housing at Tallaringa - no "authority" would help - ended up a fellow VKS member drove out from Coober Pedy to help. I personally would not travel it alone for this reason.

We had a group of 8 vehicles go through in 2002 - only problem was one flat tyre. Had a group of 6 last year, only problem was a broken bracket on one of the troopies.

My belief is that tyre pressures on these roads makes a huge difference. Drive this road slowly with 20psi in the tyres and you'll iron out the corrugations and make life easier on everything.

Out of interest, the WA side got its 10 year grading in about July last year.

Please don't complain about it - then the authorities will just close the road. My honest opinion is that it should be left relatively unmaintained, otherwise it will become a real "highway", and get huge traffic.
AnswerID: 51929

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:49

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:49
Have to agree with you Phil....

I believe that far too many people travel these tracks with the idea that they have to be at a set place at a set time, & make no allowance for the fact that the tracks are NOT "highways"....
Then there is this (common) misconception with corrugations, that you drive faster and "just hit the tops" or some such rot!! What The??????
(then they blame the track for all the broken shocks & springs)...
Do these people have any idea how their vehicles' suspension actually works?? (better get off the soap-box before I get "wound up")...

If all goes to plan, we will be on this track (west to east) in July, and I am not put off by the above post, as we are in no way expecting an "easy ride", but I sincerely hope that those travelling the track before we do will have the good sense to drive at speeds and ON TYRE PRESSURES (sorry for shouting) appropriate for the conditions...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 313741

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:29

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:29
FollowupID: 313927

Reply By: Member - Anne - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:25

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:25
Hi Frank, I'm sorry to hear that you had a pretty bad time with ill health to deal with as well as the damage. I have read that it is very rough, and that you should not consider doing it if you are worried about scratching the duco because the trees are overhanging the track. I have also read that one should expect to travel most of the way between 20-40kph. I guess you would definitely agree with this. What was the country like? Was it as wild and beautiful as I have read? If you had been expecting it to be very rough, would you do it anyway? I have been doing heaps of research as we are planning on doing the Anne Beadell highway in May/June, on our own like you guys. How did you damage the wheel carrier? What tyre pressures did you use? We will definitely take your advice into consideration.
Good luck for your future travels
Anne
AnswerID: 51932

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:29

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:29
FollowupID: 313928

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:12

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:12
Yes it is nice country there had been rain prior in west looked good see other post for more
FollowupID: 313940

Reply By: Peter 2 - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 18:43

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 18:43
I first travelled the ABH in 1992, it was then as it is now a track that had not been maintained since the 60's especially the SA section, which had many detours around washaways and overgrown sections. It was a relatively slow but pleasant drive with few corrugations and we had no problems.
Our last trip across about ten years later was totally different due to the large amount of traffic which was travelling way too fast and had resulted in it being extremely corrugated over most of its length. We met other vehicles which were attempting to do it in two days!
The WA section was in better nick as it is graded and the scrub is cleared back but I'm afraid the biggest problem is that there is too much traffic with the resulting track damage. If everyone slowed down, dropped tyre presssures to suit the sandy conditions and allowed far more realistic travelling times (on the first trip a days drive was 150k's on some sections) there would be far less damage to the track, your vehicle and the occupants might enjoy it.
AnswerID: 51940

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:30

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:30
FollowupID: 313929

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 19:30

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 19:30
obviously you didnt pack the beer correctly!
AnswerID: 51941

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:42

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:42
Frank,
Sorry to hear about your troubles, however I must admit that the condition of the track sounds no different to any other year. The travelling averages are exactly as Anne mentions, we have advised people. In fact, when we researched the track in 2001 it took us 7 days to complete the track. I think what this highlights to people is that the Anne Beadell is not to be taken lightly. It is a very remote, unmaintained track. Some people certainly do report back similar problems and breakages to what you have experienced, even though they are well experienced and well travelled. For example, on our trip in 2001, we had not one single incident, whereas other travellers reported "corrugations so bad our dashboard fell off into our laps"). I've heard it all before. What I have to say is this: go on the Anne Beadell, knowing full well that it is not a walk in the park. You must expect rough conditions and be prepared to have to use a bit of ingenuity if you encounter mishaps if you travel the Anne Beadell or many of the other remote unmaintained tracks throughout Australia.
Thank you for your report after completing the track as one of the first vehicles through this season.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 51955

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:44

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:44
Hi all,

Had a look at the map and it seems that most of the SA part of ABH is within the Aboriginal AP lands. The living conditions faced by the residents of these lands is currently one of the hottest political topics in SA in the last few days. It seems that track maintenance will be zero either by Govt or the indigenous leaders. Rescue by people such as Police would be a long shot as well.

I think that people just need to be aware of this before embarking on the trip. Maximum self-sufficiency required, preferably with multiple vehicles.

Hate to see anything closed down but people really need to know what they may face before they go.

Agree with comments above about "the more challenging it sounds the more traffic will be attracted". Hopefully people will read sites like this one and go there fully prepared.

Steven
AnswerID: 51956

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:31

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:31
FollowupID: 313930

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:22

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:22
Any part of the tracks that connect native land sights are graded formed roads note the connie sue where it is used to join to camps never asked for closure just warning not everyone has access to the information on this sight or the expertise of the people
FollowupID: 313943

Reply By: lindsay - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:57

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:57
It might be best if you stayed home or kept to the tar. I have done it twice and both times has taken 7 days from C.pedy to Wiluna or Laverton. You say you did it in 3 days that is why your vehicle fell to bits. But don't worry you have plenty of mates who fly around the bush busting their cars then complain about the unmaintained tracks. Stay home and leave it to the people who appreciate and can cope with it.
AnswerID: 51960

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 22:22

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 22:22
Slow down Lindsay. If I read it right, poor Frank said he took 3 days to travel from Coober Pedy to 50 KM past the SA border not the entire trip!
Craig......................................................
FollowupID: 313798

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:31

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:31
FollowupID: 313931

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:15

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:15
We travelled west as far as Vokes Cnr in Easter 2000, and then as far as Annes Cnr before turning up the Mt Davies Rd in Easter 2001. First time in the LX470 and second time in the TD5 Disco. Snapped an aerial off the Lexus after turning south toward Cook, but otherwise no probs.
Maybe it was my trailer that buggered up the track ;-)
AnswerID: 51965

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:33

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:33
FollowupID: 313932

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 22:13

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 22:13
Frank, it's great to hear they haven't graded all the out back roads yet for the toy 4x4's. Life would be boring without a challenge.
Bye the way, what was the max temperature each day as I was looking at travelling next year at a similar time. Craig...................
AnswerID: 51986

Reply By: Michael - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:18

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:18
Hi all, I cant make out what car in Franks photo he has, can anyone enlighten? Michael
AnswerID: 52017

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 17:30

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 17:30
Toyta 4x4 Hilux Surf!!S Wagon SSRV 3,0 Turbo diesel!!1993

Bonz
I live to serve
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 313906

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:34

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:34
FollowupID: 313933

Reply By: The Banjo - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 09:59

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 09:59
Good on you Frank for reporting in - everyone who wants to go that way is reminded of what's at stake and should be better prepared than may have been otherwise - all info is valuable for trip planning. As you see there are types who would welcome the tough conditions, even if its costs them dearly ! Others wanting to protect their investments might choose another track - that's trip planning. Point is, what would Len himself have thought of all this ?
AnswerID: 52029

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:34

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:34
FollowupID: 313934

Follow Up By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:26

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:26
Personally I belive len would have been disapointed I think he evisioned major highways connecting all australia but at least some of us are still keeping it open
FollowupID: 313946

Reply By: Member - Frank - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:06

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:06
Thank you all for your comments and support

I travelled this track for the challenge and I am not disapointed but please take care

I posted this report because there are spots where you can come to grief and I whished to make all that are travelling this track not to be complacent as it seems that you agree with me thats all I can do

I will try to answer all questions now

Lindsy it took three days daylight till dark just the sa side and I fully agree with you I have watched some idiots speeding through these conditions and have wanted to put down spikes to slow them down

The coregations can be partialy stradeled I blame these for the tire carrier and in stradeling staked side walls (2) but had 3 spares and cases so seemed best option the carrier was after market and the tube was not thick enough

I had the tires at 30 psi as low as could go considering weight this was not a problem in sand just got a bit of momentem and then backed off the problem was the 90 degree bends on the tops when you go remember evry time you swing one way there is einstines law equal and opposit turn

There is a camp spot with toilet just past sepentine lakes 10 minits on left but more room at lakes

david there is so much more to detail on this track try to get one of the groups going through to update the trek notes as there are lots of places that you whished you new about after you got there

yes it is turbo 3l surf done it well

The maps showing any thing avalible alon the rail line are wrong wonderful people but limited resorces available no roads only a track 400 metres from rightaway if you go inside that you can incure fine we just visited people we knew with apropiate permits

Ps you are all like me it seems ( bloody mad )

AnswerID: 52102

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:24

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:24
Darn it Frank...Don't let everone know I am Bloody mad, let them guess hahahahaha....glad you had a good time
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 313945

Sponsored Links