Car topper Dinghy

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 22:48
ThreadID: 11560 Views:8129 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Am thinking of getting a car-topper dinghy (and probably a roof rack/bars to carry it on ) for our GU Patrol ... approx 11->12 feet & small outboard - any recommendations ... would probably use it in rivers and close to beach up north of WA ....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 23:36

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 23:36
All depends on how much you want to spend.

My father has a Quintrex Explorer 3.85m tinny that he puts on the roof of the Landcruiser 75 Cab Chassis with canopy back on it. I am sure it would be OK on the Patrol depending on the racks you have. Dry weight of the boat is 105 kg. He has the Yamaha 15hp four stroke. All up $6,000. Travels really happily.

Has it set up for Barra fishing but he will fish anywhere for anything given the chance. Very happy with the boat

StevenL
AnswerID: 52002

Reply By: Ann & Steve - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 00:59

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 00:59
just purchased a quintrex 3.55 dart.weighs 75kg.($1650)and also a yamaha 8hp
outboard($1970)access marine wangara.
were going north and all stops to cairns so we wanted a package that is light and
easy to launch.yamaha had a special on around 2 weeks ago,not sure if its
still going

steve
AnswerID: 52009

Reply By: Mike - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 01:51

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 01:51
Hi Lizard,
We've got a Quintrex 3.75 Dart (75kg) powered by a 15hp Honda. Just had a roof rack fitted to our GU Patrol wagon by K&N 4WD Fabrications of Canning Vale (WA) complete with boat loading racks, including rollers. Had a dual wheel carrier fitted by the same crowd, complete with a removeable, dedicated outboard motor bracket. We originally transported the tinnie on top of the camper trailer, which was fitted with boat racks. We will be leaving for three months in the Kimberly just after Easter so we needed to put the tinnie on the 4by to save unloading it for overnight stops. The tinnie goes up on top of the GU very easily - much easier than I ever thought. All Jan needs to do is back the 4by up to it, it only requires one person to lift the stern and role it on to the roof rack. Actually no more difficult than loading it on to the camper trailer. We have already used the tinnie in the western gulf of Shark Bay where it worked a treat. We had previously used a 14'4" Quinnie up there and have not felt compromised by the smaller craft - it's quite seaworthy, and comfortable fishing for two adults. The Honda outboard is magic - no smellies, which is important if your or your crew suffers from travel sickness. 4 stroke outboards can be as much as 10kgm heavier than an equivalent 2 stroke, but this is made up for by the smaller fuel tank required, as the 4 stroke is heaps more economical. Boat with outboard and trailer cost $6k, dual wheel carrier with outboard mount $1700, roof rack $1050 - fun $immeasurable. Hope this helps.
Happy camping,
Jan & Mike.
AnswerID: 52011

Reply By: Leroy - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:06

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:06
I took a stacer seaprite 3.50 to the cape last year with a 15hp 2 stroke merc (with all controls on the tiller handle). The hull performed extremely well and weighed in at around 70kg also and is a few hundred bucks cheaper than the quintex (who build an excellent boat). I.m used to larger (4m plus) runabouts but was surprised. Minimal splash when travelling, reasonably stable when standing up, high sides. Don't skimp on the motor get a 15hp. A 4 stroke will use less fuel but for the size motor I think you would have to use it a lot to recoup extra cost. I was very pleased with the performance.

Leroy
AnswerID: 52041

Reply By: CT - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 14:51

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 14:51
I took a 3.1m allycraft rover to the cape in 2002. Powered by 8hp Honda. Perfect for two people. At 10ft, the boat is only over the tray on my 75 series ute (hanging over the rear a touch), so there is never any salt water trickling over the cab.

Invest in a Rhino (or similar) boat loader to save yourself when loading and unloading. Worth the weight in gold for the one handed operation. Also grab some of the clip on or bolt on jocky style wheels for the transome to make it easier to get to the water once it comes off the car. The easier it is to use the more it will be used was what we found.

Cheers
Craig
AnswerID: 52655

Sponsored Links