Split rim problems

Submitted: Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 02:45
ThreadID: 11562 Views:1846 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Can Tony or anyone else help me out: I finally got found the time to spend half a day cleaning up my split rims with a drill and wire brush attachment; then I wiped them down and re-sprayed them (waste of time I now realise); bought tubes and dust flaps and Michelin XZLs.

So had a drink of water (as recomended by tirepliers!) and started putting the whole shebang together - what a farce! Apart from dropping the steel rim on my toes twice (I was just wearing takkies - I'll wear steel toecaps next time!) I reached the point where I thought about throwing them away and buying new tubeless rims.

My main problem is the dust flap - how the hell do you get that in? I followed Tyrepliers' instruction manual as to the reassembly of split rims but the dust flasp always seems to be sticking out and I can't get the bugger in! Can you run tubes on split rims without the dust flap? Can anyone point me in the right direction re: technique, coz there just has to be a "right" way to do it.

I really want to use the split rims and tube arrangement as I am now broke and cannot afford another set of rims! Plus, 750 16s are pretty ubiquitous across Africa and so are 'cruiser split rims and so replacements should not be a problem.

enzo
Bundubasher
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 07:07

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 07:07
G'day Enzo, same bloke here different name. Will be in London for three days end of April, and up your way about a week later. Hope to give you a call.

The best way I found was to put the tube in first and partly inflate it. Stand the tyre up and lay the dust flap inside the tyre and curl the ends so they fit in over the tube. Continue to do this all the way around till its all in. Sometimes easier to have someone hold the tyre for you.
AnswerID: 52014

Follow Up By: Allan 2 (Pilbara) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 07:56

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 07:56
Yeah, just enough air in the tube to take the wrinkles out. then after you get the dust flap in and looking neat coax the valve stem through the rim and the rest should find it's own way on. then make sure you're happy with the way the lock ring is seated before you pump it up.
FollowupID: 313822

Follow Up By: enzo- Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:05

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:05
Thanks Tony, drat I'm gonna miss you! I was wondering when you were arriving (It is Tony G isn't it?) as I'm scheduled to leave on a trans-afica trip on May 1st (Portsmouth Bilbao or Plymouth Santandere). Shame man, but I still might get to see you in London if you are pulling in around the 28th.

My 750 16s are a tight fit with the rim and once you start fussing around with the valve stem everything goes to pot! Anyway - I'll take a deep breath, put my steel toe capped boots on and start again tomorrow morning. I've gotta get it sorted by Monday as I'm selling the alloys and BFGs that are on the truck at the moment, then!

So once the flap is all in, and mine seems longer than 16" until it's stretched around the inner rim surface, I suppose then you just drop it over the rim - leading with the valve stem?

Sorry to sound like such a suit but I must be getting on!

Stay well,

enzo
FollowupID: 313823

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:15

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:15
In flight on the 28th, to bad, have a great trip and keep the powder dry.

Once you have got the tube and rust band in the tyre, find the slot for the valve ( the ones we use here are long stem and are quite easy to fit through the rim) and stick it through first its a bit of a juggle, when sitting on the rim move the tyre around to as not to get to tight a fit for the stem, let it sit in the middle of the hole, place the split part on under the rim and stand on it till it clips in all the way around. # Don't inflate the tyre with the split faceing up in case it comes off under presure during inflation.

Sometimes you have to overinflate to get the split part to sit correctly as well as the tyre.
FollowupID: 313824

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:36

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:36
G'day Enzo,

Haven't read the word 'takkies' for a long time. For the uninformed it is the South African word for tennis shoes or sneakers.

Yeah I have always run splits. It takes a bit of practise. All the above advice is first class. Also remember to use liquid soap to line the bead of the tyre before slipping the locking rim in to place. And when out bush it is advisable to lay the tyre on a tarpaulin to prevent dirt from getting in to the casing. AND wear boots when doing this job!!

Hope you have a great adventure. Totsiens en ry lekker.

Cheers
AnswerID: 52019

Follow Up By: Davoe - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:48

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:48
Just been introduced to the wonderfull world of splitties my self recently - havent had a problem with the dust covers but why the soap? dilute or concentrated?, washing up detetrgent ok?
FollowupID: 313831

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:10

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:10
Yes Davoe. liquid anything...soap or detergent...as long as it is slippery...just makes the locking rim slip in much easier.
FollowupID: 313939

Reply By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:51

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:51
I would just add take your time and make sure you get the split rim seated properly before you pump up the tyre, don't be fooled into thinking you will be able to use the tyre pressure to "pop" it into the right place, cause the last thing you want is that rim coming off as you pump it up.
AnswerID: 52022

Reply By: enzo- Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 11:30

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 11:30
Great advice gents, and thanks for taking time out to answer my question - I'll take it all on board and try again tomorrow am, as it's 25 past midnight here and I desparately need my beauty sleep!
Stay well,

enzo
Bundubasher
AnswerID: 52039

Follow Up By: enzo- Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 01:58

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 01:58
Fantastic - what was an absolute "schelp" and a "sikle" (spelling Whillem?)yesterday was no problem today! Hours to minutes - my very many thanks to all - especially the washing up liquid hint!

My main problem was that although my tubes have the valve stem centrally position - they were off center on the dust flap, so I simply cut them bigger. Of course this will be no good for Africa but will do at low speeds on tar until I find dust flaps with central holes.

My other problem is that my compressor (a truck air) took all morning to blow up 4 x 750.16 tyres! Definately need something bigger and better!

I am so chuffed to be able to sort my rims/tyures out now - I have a real sense of achievement! Many thanks again guys.

enzo
FollowupID: 313992

Reply By: locallaw - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:23

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:23
Gidday,Just a little xtra when inflating a splittie place the whole lot under the chassis so as to stop every thing going skyward and coming down on top of someone.
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 52488

Follow Up By: enzo- Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:34

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:34
Good idea - I actually put a HD security cable, and closed it with a shackle, around mine when I blew them up - nothing popped off though!
Cheers,
FollowupID: 314289

Sponsored Links