100 Series Lancruiser Driveline Clunking

Submitted: Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:44
ThreadID: 11564 Views:9535 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm after some advice please. I have a IFS LC100 V8 auto with about 32k on the clock and in about the last 3000k I have noticed a clunking in the driveline, most pronounced when pulling up or accelerating quickly and/or on an incline.
Asked Toyota to check at the last service. I suspect that I should have asked them to fix it. "test drive revealead no problems". Anyways it seems to be getting worse. Last 10k or so has been on tar But I have plans to raise the suspension and it would seem prudent to resolve this issue first.
Any ideas on what may be the cause and any suggestions as how I may be able to determine the root cause. Note that I changed the diff and transfer case oils at the 30k service.
Thanks in advance
Shane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 09:10

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 09:10
Did you change the oil yourself or was it done by the dealer. Was the right oil used?
I have a similar noise coming from the front diff as a result of a small indiscression last weekend and we think it is the spider gears that may have a broken tooth. It is being looked at today. Mine isn't IFS but probably the diffs are the same.
AnswerID: 52025

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:49

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:49
My 100 also has backlash as did the 3 x 80 series (a mix of auto and manuals)
The wifes does also....
nothing to worry about i am told
AnswerID: 52034

Reply By: chrisfrd - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:08

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:08
CHeck everything!

Get a feeling as to where it is.. It's hard on the Cruisers as they don't do things the "normal" way when it comes to mounts and such.

It your clunk is coming from the chassis, check with a pry-bar all of the mounts around the gearbox and t-case assembly. Also, check the movement in both drive-shafts with the vehicle in D. (Engine Off, Keys in POCKET, doors LOCKED, brakes off, wheels chocked.)

Check the rear swaybar mounts and check all of the bushes in the front. What could be happening is that the vehicle is lifting it's nose on acceleration and the nock you are hearing is a stuffed bushing or loose mount.

Grab the Tojo service manager and drive him around in the car. Get it to be predictable so that when he hears it, he will have to fix the bloody thing.

You could also fix the problem by selling the Tojo and buying a mighty Patrol...
AnswerID: 52056

Follow Up By: Pesty - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:58

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:58
Be like gettin out of the fryin pan and into the fire I reckon chrisfrd !!!!!!!!!!
Have you checked for a dry unijoints ?
FollowupID: 313874

Follow Up By: vuduguru - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 23:56

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 23:56
Pesty,

Forgive my ignorance the uni joints are ???? at the wheel end, at the gearbox end... or somewhere else?
Have been in some deep water since the 20k service.
Thanks
Shane
FollowupID: 313986

Follow Up By: Pesty - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 00:27

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 00:27
Vuduguru, Unijoints are at each end of both your tailshafts and move all the time the vehicle is moving to allow the change in angle. Both your shafts move if your cruiser has constant 4wd. Have your mechic check it out if you are not sure.

Hope this helps shane

Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 313989

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:47

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:47
Pesty,

That's why I said it! My Mighty GU-3.0TDi Heap-o-bleephas bleep ed out AGAIN!!! Syncro's on 5th and 3rd are starting to go again. Reported to N.E Nissan in North Adelaide and their comment was "toughbleep! - It's out of warranty by 3 weeks" Took it to another (unnamed) dealer, who started the assult on Nissan to replace the gear box, like they should have done 4 months ago.

Nissan and Toyota makebleep-house trucks me thinks... Gone are the "good days" when you had simple technology and for tojo's LIVE AXLES with a diesel!

Chris.

FollowupID: 314188

Reply By: dp - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 21:52

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 21:52
Hmm strange feeling of dejavu same car (auto v8 ifs glx june 2003) same problem same response from toyota. I wasnt sure if it was the transmission or the driveline. Mine started around 29 000...... got 'test drive revealed no problem' at 30 000 service ...... .and kept getting worse so i thought I would wait till 40 000 service and bitch again...... However it has stopped as suddenly as it started (at around 38 000k). I have passed 40 and have been hoping prob would reappear but nothing. So if you ever track it down please let me know. I have made sure Toyota have a record of my complaint so if it does crap out down the track I have at least a toe to stand on.
AnswerID: 52139

Reply By: vuduguru - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 23:50

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 23:50
Thanks Des, done by by the dealer, charged for it would expect they have some integrity. will check tho.
chrisfrd, thanks for the advice except 4 cly doesnt cut it. had a morris once tho :P
Eskimo.... constructive criticism. mine moans...
dp thanks for he advice... seems waiting 10k for the problem to rectrfy not practical as i'm planning on a lift and i'm sure it will be blamed.
Im planning to chock, lift the lot this weekend and make a educated (uneduated) analysis. Hearing stories re front diff cv's etc. i'm suspicious.
Let you know
Shane
AnswerID: 52160

Reply By: Bilbo - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 23:58

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 23:58
Well, I'm just happy I'm not alone with this problem. I have a 2000 TD 100 series and it too thumps on gearchanges, hills etc etc. Seems a common problem with these Toyotas.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Never got this or any driveline probs with my old GQ ute. To be frank, this TD is nowhere near as easy to drive as my old GQ ute. What with thumping drive lines and shaky brakes it just doesn't feel as strong as a 4WD should - based on owning 2 Nissan's previously. Ha well, I'm stuck with it till at least next year.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 52163

Sponsored Links