Comment: Using the ExplorOz Mobile Site

I'm having problems with the mobile site.

From my tablet, I keep geting redirected to the full site, which is annoying on a smaller screen (or low bandwidth connection!)

It seems to be a issue the the "User Agent" name sent by the browsers:

With Dolphin, if I use the default agent of "Android", I get thrown back to the full (www) site, even if I type in the "m." name for the URL.
If i set the agent to "iPhone", it works fine (no redirection).

With the std browser "Internet" (?Webkit-based?), I don't get a choice of agent name, just an option for "Desktop view". With this DE-selected, I keep getting thrown back to the full site. I don't know what user agent name is used in this case.

What happens if you don't recognise the agent name? Do you serve the site that is being requested ("m" or "www") without redirection, in this case?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:19

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:19
Ian, if the user agent isn't mobile, you will get redirected to the full site. What tablet are you using? iPad mini? or?? If you're on a mobile and your resolution is greater than 1000 you'll initially get delivered the full site but you can option the mobile site by using the button at the bottom right to go to mobile and it will remember that for future sessions (about a month).
Depending on how you are requesting a page, there may only be a full site version of that page available so that is another case for redirection to the full site - as you'll see in the mobile site menu only some features of EO are offered. Does this help?
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 548798

Sponsored Links