Landcruiser: Std vs GXL

Submitted: Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 14:59
ThreadID: 11573 Views:16020 Replies:13 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I posted a week or so ago about my choice between a ute or a wagon. After getting some great feedback and thinking it all through, I've decided a 80 series wagon is the one for me. I figure I can pick a diesel (N/a or Turbo) up for around 20-25 grand, then spend a few grand adding some accessories.

Now I need to choose between a Standard diesel or a GXL. Dad has a Std, but complains at times that the drivers seat is uncomfortable, and he misses the little extras such as carpets, power windows etc. He is not into offroading or beach work at all though. What I do like about his cruiser is the vinyl floor/seats for easy cleaning of mud and sand. Also, they are a bit cheaper than GXL so more spending money. But I like the sound of power windows and comfy seats for long trips and the GXL's look a better I think.

Any stories of peoples experiences with the two different variants would be much appreciated! Have ppl got one but wish they had gone for the other? Has anyone modifed their model so it has the best of both worlds? Any pros and cons I haven't thought out would be great to know too!

Cheers for your help!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davoe - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:19

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:19
as per my previos answer beware that a standard often is used by fleet,rental and mining cos a gxl is more likely to have been a toorac tractor low ks better nic etc although diesals dont neccessarily like the mums taxi style of driving in the city, there and back and shut down before they warm up. Also as I mentioned 1hz apparently have issues when turboed. Have you considered a 60 series sahara with the 12ht which was considered by some to be the best motor in a tojo till the latest 100 series turbo. These are getting old now though but a good one would satisfy your requirements for turbo, price and comfort
AnswerID: 52059

Follow Up By: Cruza - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:40

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:40
Yeah, I think I'll be steering well clear of ex-mine/rentals. Even if some of them are ok, it doesn't seem to be worth the risk. I want a pretty schmick example anyways, so most company cars etc are abused and trashed, and often before the engine is properly worn in.

Cheers!
FollowupID: 313869

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:22

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:22
Hi Cruza,

I previously had an 80 series standard that was pretty well set up (2" lift, front locker, 33" tyres, winch, snorkel, cargo barier, water tank, _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, ARB Paratus seat etc...)

Compared to the GXL, apart from the obvious interior upgrade and 8 seats vs 6, the main difference is the standard has part-time 4WD whereas the GXL is full-time 4WD. My personal preference is for part-time 4WD, but then again others prefer full-time 4WD.

I had a front auto locker and you canot fit these to full-time 4WD. You can fit an air-locker to the front, but then you have turning issues when its on (now here is another debate about to start...)

Now owning a 3.0TD ST GU Nissan, having power windows etc is real nice, but I certainly miss the "hose out" vinyl floor. The Nissan ST is "equivalent" to the GXL and apart from price, I certainly enjoy the Nissan creature comforts over the standard. But when off-road, I love that sweep out floor.

At the end of the day, as much as I would like to spend more time off-road, the reality of the situation is that something like 90% of my distance is on-road. So for the sake of a bit more effort cleaning up, I prefer the creature comforts. Nothing like being able to adjust mirrors or raise/lower all windows from the drivers seat.

Cheers

Mark

PS. The standard 80 series seat is arguably more comfortable than the GXL seat, especially after a few years (but I still put in an ARB Parautus seat!)
AnswerID: 52060

Follow Up By: Cruza - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:44

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:44
Thanks for the post. I would be setting my cruza up with a sus lift, bigger a/t or muddies and other off road gear, but like yourself I would probably only be using it offroad 2-3 times a month.

Are those moulded plastic floor trays/mats any good at keeping sand and dirt out of carpets? I assume they are, but sand seems to get EVERYWHERE.
FollowupID: 313870

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:50

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:50
Hi Cruza,

I fitted the "sandgrabba" mats by QMCC when I got the GU. They are the best mats I have seen, before or since, but they are still not perfect. However, they have definently made it an easier job cleaning up.

link sandgrabba mats website

About the barn doors, I had a table fitted to the large door, absoulutely a must. Makes things like lunch stops so much easier. While tailgates can act as a table, you have so far to reach into the back, but each to there own.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 313899

Reply By: Ruffstuff - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:23

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:23
G'day Cruza,
i Have an 80 series std
Each to their own i guess, however as i do a fair bit of mud, beach & general offroad , i choose to stick with the vinyl, its a hell of a lot easier to clean.
Having had a small creek flowing through at ankle height at one stage(due to my own stupidity) the carpets would have certainly been wrecked.
I agree with you about the seats though - they are a bit like sitting on concrete slabs on long hauls.
I have overcome this by fitting a Paratus seat which would have to be one of the best things ive ever done.
You can pick these up 2nd hand occasionaly so it isn all that expensive (mine was $200 out of the Quokka/ trasding post) .
All the best with your decision making & enjoy the new Vehicle.
AnswerID: 52061

Follow Up By: Cruza - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:47

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 15:47
Cheers for the response. The issues you raise about the carpets are my biggest worry with the GXL. I think if I do get a std I would get looking at getting a GXL or a after market seat, at least for the driver.

What about the barn doors vs the GXL type? Any gripes or major advantages with one or the other anyone?
FollowupID: 313871

Reply By: Roachie - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:11

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:11
Cruza,
Bit of a Nissan man myself, but if I were you, given the things that others have said about things like most standards have had a hard life etc and also what you said about liking the vynel floor mats and seats.......Why not get a GXL, take out the carpets and put in a set of vynal mats etc (maybe from wreckers??). Keep you carpets stored in the shed till you need to sell the vehicle in years to come. I know that can be a pain in the arse, but if you could sling it up to the ceiling in the shed, out of the way or something, maybe.
With the nice seats, do what I've done.......a set of canvas seat covers (mine are CC Canvas, Tintinara, SA). They stop sand getting through to the seats, can be washed or swept out/vacuumed etc.
That way you get the comforts and the "rough" side too.

I also think the GXL's rear door set-up is, in some ways, better than the barn doors of the standard. Both have their merits.
Just my thoughts,
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 52066

Follow Up By: Cruza - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:31

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:31
Yeah, that could work! What do other ppl think of that idea, anyone tried it?

Also true about std's having a hard life. Alot of them have probably been used by tradies or for carrying alot of gear etc.
FollowupID: 313889

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:27

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:27
Why not persuade your dad to sell you his at a good price and he can buy himself a GXL. That way your both happy.
I have a set of rubber mats that look like little tubs and all the rubbish settles in the tub. Roachies canvas covers are good too.
AnswerID: 52069

Follow Up By: Cruza - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:35

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:35
Believe me, I've thought about it! But Dad loves his cruiser, despite its lack of luxuries and its his work vehicle as well.

I've seen the sand-grabba mats advertised in 4wd monthly, and the canvas covers too. They are high up on the list of accessories not matter what I get.
FollowupID: 313891

Reply By: Mitch - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:37

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:37
Cruza,

I own a 91 80 series GXL Turbo and have done since new. I have the deep trayed floor mats at the front . The back seats and rear compartment have old carpet as mats which I have cut to size and fits quite snug so it doesn't move as you get in and out of the vehicle. The actual cruiser carpet is still in good condition because of the precautions I have taken with the matting. I haven't crossed any river crossings and don't have any intentions to, but do a fair bit of off road driving on the beach. The point I am trying to make is you can look after the carpets if you want the added features of the GXL over the standard model.

I have been in the mining industry for over 10 years and have driven standard cruisers a fair bit, and I can assure you that the GXL seats are definately more comfortable than the standard seats.

If I had my way again, I would definately buy a GXL model. Besides SWMBO would not want to loose the comfort of electric windows.

Good luck with your new toy. Which ever way you go, the 80 series cruisers are top notch.
AnswerID: 52073

Follow Up By: Cruza - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 17:00

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 17:00
Very true about the carpets Mitch.

I currently have a 1982 60 series G stack cruiser and its been really well looked after since new. The interior is very clean and although the wagon has been on the beach alot, the carpets are in really good nick, especially for its age.

How have you found the turbo motor? Any problems? You must have a few k's on it by now.
FollowupID: 313901

Follow Up By: Mitch - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:10

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:10
Going on to 320k. Had a small issue with one of the piston rings about 20k ago but got out of that relatively cheaply cause it was caught early enough not to do any damage. Rebuilders said that all the internals were in excellent condition which was great news. Besides this and big end bearing costs when due, haven't needed to spend much money on the old girl. Great vehicle, going well and will hopefully be going for another 20 odd years. Drove both the standard and turbo model when I bought her and had no hesitation in getting the turbo model.
FollowupID: 313919

Reply By: Roachie - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 17:35

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 17:35
Cruza,
Just another thought too. Yesterday, I got a sheet of 6mm aluminium checkerplate from a local engineering shop. I got the bloke to cut it on his gillateen (spelling??????????) so it fits the floor space under driver's feet. I used to go through a set of rubber mats every 6 months or so; even heavy duty ones.
However, I can't take the credit for the idea.....spotted the same thing in John's 80 series ("The Tractor"), from Murray Bridge 4WD Club.
The plate can be used as a jacking plate etc too.
I still have the rubber mat under the plate so it reduces the risk of the edges damaging the carpet.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 52085

Reply By: Jarrod - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:04

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:04
G'day Cruza,
Ive got a standard 100 series, but went through the same process - STD or GXl. ok the things i weighed up -

part time 4x4/ transfer - free wheeling hubs - i personally prefer to know what wheels are being driven, and I have fitted a rear air locker.

rear barn doors - easier to get gear in and out of. - diving tanks, camp gear, whatever, Im not dragging it over the tail gate like my GXL buddy.

Motor variants - STD only available in 1hz ( 100 series) Do your research on what motor variants were avail. in the 80. Sounds like youve decided on the oiler anyway. Good choice, in my opinion anyway.

Live axel front end - I guess this wont be a prob for you as 80's were all Live. ( something to consider if you do start looking at the 100.) I did a full OME kit all round, maybe a bit easier with coils all round.

Price - obviously cheaper in the base model variant.

Split rims - mine came with the pizza cutters, so i threw on a set of GXL rims, and 285/75/16's all terrains. - put some simex MP trekkers as a second set of muddies on the split rims. ( the GXL rims fit nicely under the 100 guards, but the 80 may need a 'flare')

front seats - mine is the 3/4 bench bucket arrangement - now this is a bit of a PITA, not having a cntr console, have considered putting in paratus/saas/whatevers, and a cntr console, but have put in an Overhead to handle most of the little bits and pieces up front.

Vynal seats/floors. - nothing a good set of lambswool covers hasn't fixed. - as for the floors - easier to clean, can be a little bit colder on the cold days.

No electric windows/mirrors/ gizmo's - this is actually how I wanted it. Zero potential for things to stuff up in the bush. Where i used to work,(12 odd years ago) we had a 91 RV6 fore runner. ( electric rear window) well we made our way to the remote radio transmitter site, only to find out the rear electric window had bleep itself. Rear cargo barrier installed ... I'll let you guess how we got our gear out.

Choice of colour. - now this has recntly changed ( if you're ordering a newwy) but for the 80 - like a T model ford - you can have the standard in any colour you like, as long as its white!

Appearance - the std is a bit plain jane, so i got an auto trimmer to order and stick on some 75 mm side trims. Similar to the 100 gxl, and looks quite good.

Stereo / audio 2 speakers. - a new stereo and 6 stacker fixed this one ( most people upgrade the system in thier new pride and joy.

Six seat capacity - no third row in the std. this isn't a problem for me as i'm Single!!! (unless you know a good looking female in the east of Melb, looking for tall dark handsome financially secure 30 Y.O.,......!!!!!!) ( who owns 100 series...!!!!!) LOL here!!!

Thats about all i can think of at the moment, weigh up what you want, with what it'll cost to bring a STD up to what you need, as apposed to extra $$ on the GXL.

Happy Hunting.

Jarrod.

P.S., the 100 seats are pretty comfy.
AnswerID: 52090

Reply By: Member Eric - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:15

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:15
Seats are terrible in both , do you want electrics ? or not ? do you want the wide wheel pack or standard ? do you want carpet or vinil floor ? this will make up your mind
AnswerID: 52091

Reply By: Ralph2 - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 20:51

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 20:51
Cruza, see if you can find a standard DX, have GXL instruments Taco etc, and cloth seats, vinly floor,barn doors, maybe what your after.
AnswerID: 52131

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 00:13

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 00:13
Be a good son and go out and buy a nice GXL for the old man then drive away in his vinyl mat special with the part time 4WD!

He will remember you at Christmas for sure. You may even get a mention in the will!!!!

Steven
AnswerID: 52166

Reply By: Richbassett - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 17:09

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 17:09
Hi all,
I had a 60 series standard wagon and loved it. I have driven both the 80 series then 100 series standards as work vehicles. When talking to people/ loading goods in and out of them, the central locking and electric windows have been sorely missed.

Now I have own a 100 series diesel GXL and couldn't be happier. Go the GXL!!!

If you weigh it up, you probably won't be off the bitumen as much as you like.

The standard has the wind up windows. ALL TOYOTAS have stiff wind-ups, no matter what model it is. If you get into a vehicle with electrics, you can wind the lot down to let the heat out. Electrics are great! The GXL s also come with a main control centre to lock all the windows and doors from the drivers seat.

The Standard barn doors are easier to get things in and out, however the tailgate on the GXL can be used for a shelf, seat, serving area when you are stopped.

The GXL comes with the wide wheels/ Better Stereo/ Centre Console/Central Locking, and most extras that you would buy for your standard Cruiser.

The central Locking makes everything so much easier!!!!

There is always the problems that the electircs will break down, but I do not know of any that actually have.

GO THE GXL, Not much more in price, but you WILL BE SO MUCH HAPPIER.

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 52200

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 19:59

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 19:59
Cruza
I have a standard 80 series (not white) with just about all the mods one requires. I specifically chased down a standard as I didn't want carpets, electrics etc while living here in the Pilbara.
I am now contemplating relocation to Perth as well as a new fourby. I will probably be looking at upgrading to a new Prado or maybe even to the anniversary model petrol 80 series GXL as I can transfer a lot of gear over (_Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, roof rack & barwork etc) but it would need to be in superb nick.
The Standard has been great (albeit a tad underpowered) and the only things I really don't like are
1) No remote central locking (easy fix but not a good idea in my current dusty climate)
2) Poor comfort levels in seating department but I think this springs true for both models so additional upgrade costs apply to both
3) GXL looks heaps better if a clean unit although I put factory style flares on my standard and that helped heaps but cost a motza

I like the idea of a tailgate but the doors have been great. I don't follow everyone's point about easier access though as the small door does not open enough to open _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx or slide a fridge out etc. and if you have a swingaway wheel carrier then that needs to be opened before opening the second door.
I know I'm not helping here but I guess my point is that for city living with occasional expeditions then I'd be chasing the GXL. If doing heaps of off-roading and not having a penchance for constant cleaning then go the standard as she's as tough as nails.
just my thoughts
AnswerID: 52213

Sponsored Links