Batteries - Deep Cycle or Hybrid.

Submitted: Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1158 Views:3456 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have need to replace existing 2nd battery in my 80 Series Toyota. Present battery is N70ZZ cranking battery. We run a 40ltr Engel ands 12 volt night light. Also will run a laptop through an inverter shortly. Not often do we sit somewhere for more than 2 days at a time when we are away..Has anyone any opinions regarding the "Hybrid" type batteries that are now available (ie cross between cranking and deep Cycle). Have had both Deep Cycle and Hybrid recommended as the best unit for us by diferent outlets. We have a solenoid fitted which will handle either type.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
Terry : looks like you have the wrong battery as a second battery, depending on how your rig is set up of course, but I reckon your second battery should be a 'Deep Cycle" version, they are very different from a 'Starting Battery' ....why not set your rig up correctly before you run out and spent an arm and a leg on a fancy battery which may be an overkill....I have the same vehicle. fridge and lights and have not had aworry in over two years... this includes charging razor, and the boss's electric toothbrush !! the inverter we have is not a big one, just enough to blow dry her hair.. Suggest you get in touch with an Electrical Tweaker to confirm your requirements as i only speak from experience..
AnswerID: 3628

Reply By: Nigel - Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 00:00
While deep cycles are best for running fridges and such, there are other factors that will affect your decision.

Deep cycles (apart from spiral types) don't charge well from an alternator alone. You'll either need to use a main battery charger or solar panels to keep them running happily long term. They also don't like being charged at more than 10% of their amp hour capacity - ie a 60 Ah battery should be ideally charged at 6 amps (10 amp RMS) not at 40-60 amps that an alternator puts out. Also the output voltage of an alternater is set for starting batteries, most deep cycles need higher voltages.
Your choice may depend on the type of isolator you have for your second battery. There are many potential problems here, such as parallel charging different types and ages of battery may reduce battery life.
Many cheap deep cycles are designed for stationary applications and will die in a 4WD. If you go for a high capacity deep cycle then stick with good brands like Federal or Trojan.
The Century Marine Pro 600 is a reasonable compromise in a 4WD if you don't want to have to worry about slow charging a true deep cycle. Optima give the same result at a dearer price but with a claimed longer life.

I personally use a Federal 90Ah deep cycle to run the fridge (in Far North Queensland I get 56 hours from fully charged to 11.5 volts). I try to charge it up on an Arlec 10 amp charger ASAP after a weekend away.

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 3644

Reply By: Nigel - Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 00:00
One more thing to add:

A reply to a previous question made mention of a charger than converted the alternator output to higher voltage/lower current to be compatible with deep cycle batteries. See http://www.12volt.com.au/htlm/dualbat.html for the details. I intend to find out more about this system myself.
AnswerID: 3645

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00
Terry,
I've had an Exide Extreme (N70EX) in my GU Patrol for eighteen months now, and its still runs fine (but I guess you'd expect that!). The research I did at the time suggested to me that this was a slightly better option than the ZZ style battery. We tend to spend up to five nights in one location (but still use the car during the day), and have never had a power loss problem. We run a Waeco fridge and an inverter to power lights, music etc.

All the best
Andrew
AnswerID: 3675

Follow Up By: Nigel - Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Terry, being a Queenslander I must morally only buy batteries made in Queensland :)

But seriously, I didn't know Exide made a hybrd battery. Maybe they need to promote it more. I'll be sure to compare it next time I need a new battery.
FollowupID: 1520

Reply By: Michael Sheehan - Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00
We tend to camp out in remote locations a lot. If I were to replace my second battery with a deep cycle type, (Currently a cranking battery) and the main battery failed, would the deep cycle be able to start the motor...a Toyota 4.2 diesel.
AnswerID: 3793

Follow Up By: Nigel - Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00
That depends directly on how much the deep cycle cost. The cheaper deep cycles (under $160) most likely couldn't start your car and would also fall apart in a 4WD.

Something like an Optima or Exide Orbital would definately start your car as they have higher CCA than the biggest starter batteries. But they are more expensive and are only approx 50 Ah. But they are more compatible with vehicle charging systems than traditional deep cycle batteries.

If you want bulk capacity then something like a Federal (from Battery World) or a Trojan is the best. My Federal is 90 Ah and can run the fridge 56 hours straight (in Far North Queensland) and still have 11.5 volts left. They will benefit from a mains charger (I use an $100 Arlec BC10) or a 64W Solar Panel when they have been cycled deeply.

My vehicle is a petrol (bugger) but I know of people with Turbo Diesels who have used a Federal Deep Cycle to jump start the car.

For jump starting a diesel, I would personally (time permitting) join the two batteries together and leave them for 10 minutes so some charge goes back into your main battery, before starting the vehicle with them still hooked together.
FollowupID: 1621

Sponsored Links