Comment: D-Max fuel filters, Enginesafe EMS 550 and Sensatyre pressure monitors.

Hi Ross and anyone else interested, Andrew Bourne got back to me with a reply to Ross's comments, here are his comments:-
Hi Adriane,

I was able to access the links thanks, it’s time that has been the issue, soy apologies for the delay.

I agree with some points made, & disagree with others. The restriction warning system will not detect a blocked secondary filter, correct. It’s there to detect a blocked factory filter (by pressure differential across the inlet & outlet sides) & to that extent works normally. Most importantly it also warns of water in the fuel. I think we need to establish at this point that installing a fine micron secondary filter is intended as a safety net to the factory filter if you are unlucky enough to get a bad tank of fuel. It does this very effectively. Under “normal” conditions it does very little apart from catching the tiniest particulate matter, particles that are small enough to penetrate the factory filter, or any water that somehow finds its way past the factory filter. So it should be considered as an insurance policy, one which you hope you will never need.

I think it’s fair to say that people who care about their diesel injection system probably replace their fuel filter more regularly than the schedule set by the manufacturer. E.g. my Amarok has a scheduled change interval of 60,000km, but I change it every 20,000km. Doing this is probably over-kill under “normal” circumstances but I don’t care. I’m happy in the knowledge that it’s done this often. My Amarok has a Diesel Care 2 micron secondary filter fitted which I don’t intend on changing until perhaps 40,000km & I predict that at that time it won’t be even close to being blocked. It will have fulfilled its purpose though, in standing sentinel to the day when I unknowingly pay good money for contaminated diesel, & the factory filter can’t cope & allows contaminants past.

If the secondary filters we supply caused pump failure we’d be literally up to our armpits in broken pumps, but as I mentioned in my last communication, I have never seen a Common Rail Fuel Pump fail due to a blocked filter, or any other supply restriction, & believe me I see all kinds. Even the one we encountered recently where a customer’s Hilux would gradually loose power to the point that it could not be driven. After a while the engine could be started & driven for a period until the power loss occurred again. In the end the problem was a completely blocked tank vent. The filter warning light didn’t come on & the severe restriction did not destroy the pump. Of course this example is an extreme one but my point is that in reality a fuel supply restriction manifests itself in a noticeable symptom like power loss or a surge long before the pump is damaged.

When the fuel filter warning light illuminates the vehicle should be stopped immediately. Most warning systems don’t differentiate between a blocked filter & water, so drivers should assume that it’s water (it usually is) & not take the chance. The point mentioned where some “V8’s were wrecked because they were driven to get to the dealer” is very likely accurate, but I’d has at a guess that it was water, not a blockage that did the wrecking.

With regards to a primary, or pre filter; 30 micron is what Stanadyne Corporation manufacture & recommend for primary filtration. Stanadyne Corporation has been manufacturing Diesel Injection Pumps & Injectors since the 1950’s when they were known as Roosa Master. The name was derived from Vernon Roosa, the man who invented the rotary Injection Pump in 1941. They have been manufacturing fuel filters for more than 50 years too, supplying systems for more than 70 OEM’s. Its true that 30 micron is too coarse alone for practically any diesel injection system let alone Common Rail, but I’m happy to take Stanadyne’s word for it that it’s suitable micron rating for the purpose of pre filtration. The Fuel Manager pre filter effectively takes out larger particulate matter & water prior to fuel passing on to the factory filter. As your writer suggested may be the case, this is a graduated system. For more information of Stanadyne Fuel Manager Filters visit http://stanadyne.com/view.php?id=26

In conclusion I will say that the addition of a Diesel Care Fuel Manager pre filter, or a secondary filter to any modern 4WD or diesel powered car will go a long way towards protecting an owner against hefty expenses from fuel contamination. It is without doubt the most effective safeguard. I stand firm on my opinion, one from 35 years experience in the Diesel Injection field, that the secondary filter will ultimately offer better protection, this is why Diesel Care recommends it. We do accept that consumers may have their own opinion & want choice, consequently we offer a pre filter too, so owners can make up their own minds.

I hope this answers any questions or concerns adequately.

Regards

Andrew Bourne

Director

Diesel Care Australia P/L
and Steinbauer Tuning Technologies

18 Pechey St. Toowoomba Qld 4405
Toll Free: 1800 733 159

T: +61(7) 4698 9350

F: +61(7) 4698 9359

M: 0409 551806

E: andrew@dieselcare.com.au

andrew@steinbauer.com.au