Digital Radio to CDMA conversions

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 14:56
ThreadID: 11631 Views:1767 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I heard something on the ABC about six months or so ago when i was outwest tripping around, whereby Telstra are upgrading the digital radio service that the remote homesteads use and replacing it with CDMA. This obviously will boost the coverage of CDMA for those of us driving in remote places.

Does anyone have any details on the rollout of this new service, ie which areas are being covered when etc.

The Digital radio service is what the remote homesteads use for telephony. It consists of an antenna, 10metre mast, and 3-4 solar panels. This links to a main Telstra tower central to other homesteads.

I was thinking how much additional coverage this will provide as I pass a lot more homesteads than CMDA base stations!

Cheers,

Glenn.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brad - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 19:50

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 19:50
I don't know anything about this - I doubt it could happen or result in better telecommunications.
Telstra is more interested in spending money on buying Fairfax Ltd. / Trading Post / who knows what next than they are at installing modern telecommunications or internet infrastructure in Australia. That doesn't seem to be the function of Australia's largest telco.
Regards,
Brad.
AnswerID: 52314

Follow Up By: Glenno - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 21:08

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 21:08
Of course they only do these types of projects for their bottom line.

But think of it this way. Its much cheaper to run a CDMA network as the components are much cheaper and readily available than the DRS network they have now. In addition they also make extra revenue from joe public who can now use their CDMA phone and generate them revenue while driving by. It might also slow sales of HF radio as the CDMA coverage is now becomming much bigger, and people like myself will see less reason to buy one.

I dont think anyone said they were doing it as a community service.

Cheers,

Glenn.
FollowupID: 314119

Follow Up By: joc45 - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 18:54

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 18:54
I seem to recall some figures for about 15 yrs ago, where $25k was the typical budgeted figure for one DRS customer, but depending on the country, often ran out to $100k or more. All for a $1400 install fee.
The early DRS (80's) equip was specially made for Telecom at enormous cost, the later equip was from a global mfr, but still expensive, coz there just wasn't the volume produced.
CDMA equip would come in at a fraction of the cost.
Gerry
FollowupID: 314253

Reply By: Ray (Geelong) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 20:18

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 20:18
I read the other day on the ABC site that they were having major problems in Qld with the rural and remote CDMA roll out and had appointed a national coordinator to kick some butt.

AnswerID: 52320

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 20:42

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 20:42
Have a bloke who has just started work here, and his parents place has been converted to CDMA. Have yet to query him about it, after reading this post, but will do so, and see what else he can tell me.

Glenn, I might be being a bit picky here, but our phone doesn't have any tower, panels etc as we are only 1.5 kms from major tower. Telstra said it was cheaper to run the cable than put in the other infrastructure. Service is better too, less breakdowns, poor lines etc.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 52323

Follow Up By: Glenno - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 21:12

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 21:12
I would imagine there is a price point where the cost of 4 solar panels plus a mast plus a whole lot of equipmnent is dearer than carting out a trench digger and digging a straight line across the scrub.

I would imagine the direct cable would offer a better dialup experience as well.

Id be keen to see if your mate can shed some light on what the plan of attack is.

Cheers,

Glenn.
FollowupID: 314120

Follow Up By: Glenno - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 21:13

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 21:13
I would imagine there is a price point where the cost of 4 solar panels plus a mast plus a whole lot of equipmnent is dearer than carting out a trench digger and digging a straight line across the scrub.

I would imagine the direct cable would offer a better dialup experience as well.

Id be keen to see if your mate can shed some light on what the plan of attack is.

Cheers,

Glenn.
FollowupID: 314121

Reply By: Oznuggets - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 20:03

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 20:03
I don't know about them converting DRCS stations to CDMA. I know Telstra are upgrading many remote DRCS facilities in central WA when I was there late last year to the faster HRC system. I would imagine that a CDMA tranciever would not be real cheap either and also most of these remote systems are not designed for the sort of capacity that a public CDMA network would require to hang of them. Maybe they would do it in a few circumstances but I wouldn't be to excited about it being a widespread proposition. regards, Peter
AnswerID: 52463

Sponsored Links