Kalumburu Access

Submitted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1164 Views:1543 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any information on reasons behind the Kalumburu Rd being still closed to traffic. We are about to embark on Gibb River trip this weekend and had intended to travel to Kalumburu and Mitchell Falls.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: clay golledge - Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00
The Kalumburu road is open and has been for some time. In fact it has been graded and is in good condition apart from the last bit after the Carson River crossing. There was only quite a light wet in that part of the Kimberley this year. It looks like that this info has not been updated for quite a while. We found a similar problem with the site when we were seeking current info on the CSR about 6 weeks ago. Fortunately that has been rectified and the CSR looks like it will be fully traversable soon.
AnswerID: 3684

Follow Up By: Allyn - Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Clay
I received an update from Anne at Drysdale River this afternoon giving me a full update on the Kalumburu Rd situation. I thought this site was pretty good up until now.
FollowupID: 1528

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00
To Clay, Allyn and all our readers,Why are we responsible for the accuracy of reports when no one in Australia will bother to pay us any money to make this information available to you? Do you guys have any idea of what is involved in making ExplorOz available to you? Have you ever wondered why it is that no other site even attempts to provide the sorts of free service that we do? As we repeatedly say, we can only publish the information that we receive in our reports, although we do spend considerable time researching info. In regards to the Kalumburu Rd closures, either this was an oversight or we did not get the report to advise us that it had been opened, although I have painstakingly phoned every relevant shire council to be on the regular fax update so that all reports are received. We offer an Australia-wide service so being 100% accurate at all times is quite a feat, and although I believe it is important it is not my first priority as it earns no money so is a voluntary job. My point to all this is - if you put bleep on the service then we'll turn the whole thing off - don't be fooled... this is not a huge commercial operation and is not government funded.
AnswerID: 3698

Follow Up By: John R. - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Hey, Michelle!
Please, pleae, please, don't spit the dummy!
Many of us understand your frustration and we also realise that you can't be 100 % up-to-date all of the time.
No matter how hard you try, there will always be the un-appreciative turkeys who don't understand what is involved in running a site. The last few days have seen a number of posts attacking and abusing other contributors but unfortunately that is the way some peope are. Like the AM and UHF networks, websites will be used (abused?) by the uneducated, inarticulate and plain old rude.
Many of us think you're doing a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 1536

Follow Up By: Mal Try - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Michelle, Allyn obviously didn't finish his sentence. He intended to write:" I thought this site was pretty good up until now, but now I think it is fantastic". He would then have been correct. Mal Try.
FollowupID: 1539

Follow Up By: Peter - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Michelle
There are lots of us who really REALLY!!!!! appreciate the effort you guys go to make this site the best there is. PLEASE don,t let a few short sighted comments spoil it all for the rest of us
Keep up the good work
Peter
FollowupID: 1544

Reply By: clay golledge - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Gee Michelle you sure know how to over-react! I was merely ponting out that the updates do contain some deficiencies from time to time and should not be relied upon as the sole source of accurate information. I hardly think that necesitated the tirade that you spat out! I agree that you guys are doing an excellent job with limited resources and it would be a tragedy if this valuable and informative service was downgraded or shut down. Now take my medical advice (I am a Doctor), and go and take a Bex and have a good lie down.
AnswerID: 3707

Follow Up By: John R. - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Facetious or paternalistic comments like this don't help the cause....
FollowupID: 1546

Follow Up By: Clay Golledge - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

And your pernicious comment about "un-appreciative(sic) turkeys" does, I suppose John you self-righteous wally!?
FollowupID: 1547

Follow Up By: John R. - Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 00:00
Point taken Clay but having a go at someone working long hours trying to provide a service is a little different from you and I crossing pens. Perhaps we could all think a little more before pressing the reply button...... and I'm willing to let it rest.
FollowupID: 1570

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Guys & Gals,We have been up very very late latley working on the forum. You will see the results when you next use it (more to come in newletter). We have been scanning the forum data and got upset about this series of posts and a few others on the system. It makes it hard to justify our hours and hours of unpaid work when we read slags about our services. Please just give us the updates if you know them and we will keep it all up-to-date as best we can.Hope you all enjoy the faster and more functional forum. David
AnswerID: 3716

Sponsored Links