Comment: In the footsteps of Carnegie - Day 5 Murders, Mayhem and Manhunts (Bill

Top stuff as usual Mick and finding those old yards and the probable grave was feat in its self ,a couple of years ago I went to find the yards that I carted my first load of cattle from in the 70s and if it hadn't been for the old loading race I doubt i would have had success so you Alan and the teams ability to fossick these places out never ceases to amaze.
I,m fairly certain I met Jack Bohemia at Fitzroy Crossing if it was the same man he lived out his final years there.Must get the book.

Cheers Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:23

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:23
Cheers Dave. Yes you would have met Jack Bohemia there. He lived in the 1.5 story dwelling at the back of the police station from 1970 until his death in 1994. His memory is still celebrated by the WA Police.

"We happen to know a good deal about one tracker who became part of WA Police folklore. Jack Bohemia (his aboriginal name was Nyibayarri) was born at Bohemia Downs Station very early in the 1900s. He learned the work of a stockman on the station and became a trusted drover who worked on cattle drives to Broome and Darwin.

He did some tracking work for the police as early as 1922. Then in 1938 his mother died. Jack Bohemia left the station afterwards and was recruited as a tracker by Sergeant Laurie O’Neill of Fitzroy Crossing. He spent over thirty years working for Kimberley police officers. His exploits included finding lost people, catching thieves and horse rustlers and helping to arrest people who over-used alcohol.

Jack Bohemia also went on leper patrols with the police, which involved taking those cursed with the illness or venereal disease to Derby for medical treatment. By the late 1960s he was living in partial retirement. He received a pension and continued to do police work on some occasions, such as helping to track down a murderer in 1980.

In 1970 the Governor of Western Australia presented tracker Jack Bohemia with the British Empire Medal for his great services to the community. Later some of his friends in the WA Police arranged for him to be flown down to Perth to meet a member of the Royal Family. Soon afterwards, as part of a reform process to improve police-aboriginal relations, a decision was made to introduce a permanent and well regulated system for the training and employment of Aboriginal Police Aides. In 1975 the first group of these Aides finished a period of instruction and began their work. Within a short time afterwards the tracker system faded away.

http://policewahistory.org.au/html_pages/Tracker_System.html

Hope you and Pauline are travelling this year. Let's speak soon. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 549108

Sponsored Links