WARNING - about DEHYDRATION

Submitted: Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 08:52
ThreadID: 11647 Views:2371 Replies:13 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
This does have to do with 4WDing and Caravanning - just a timely reminder that dehydration leads to confusion, lack of concentration, serious illness, affects whatever medications people are on. Please do not take this lightly - can happen to anyone. When you are told to drink water it means water - not coffee, tea, fizzy drinks. It wasn't particularly hot here but have had a patient for three days because he refused to drink water - refused to open up the windows and canvas curtains in his caravan because flies and bugs might get through the screens. He was so bad that he almost required IV drip. Had been living on coffee whilst travelling and not eating. He comes from Melbourne (I say this not as a Melb bashe but he has been used to a different type of weather condition and was not prepared to compromise) - had he been driving he could easily have had a bad accident. Please ensure you drink copious quantities of water (and more so for children), particularly if sitting for long stretches in the vehicle. More importantly, if you are going to travel in the Outback ensure you have enough medication with you - most towns do not have pharmacies and local hospitals and clinics do not stock large quantities of your medication anymore. Simple precautions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 08:59

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 08:59
Ruth,
Well said. Spot on.

Wayne
AnswerID: 52362

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:32

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:32
Ruth, you are performing a great service with your commentary first of the water flowing through the inland and now the warnings. I always ready your posts, please keep them up.

Love to get through Birdsville before too long, I have always flown over in the past......
AnswerID: 52365

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:37

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:37
Yea....... and you can become severely dehydrated if you DRINK TOO MUCH ALCOHOL!!!

So take heed all ye muscat drinkers !!!!!
AnswerID: 52366

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:52

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:52
We never used to drink a lot of water until the last couple of years. It's surprising how the rest of your body functions better when you keep your water levels up.
We carry two water bottles in a bottle cooler bag thingo at arms reach while travelling. Keeps the headaches away too.
AnswerID: 52367

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:33

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:33
Two water bottles - one for water in and one for water out? Don't mix em up!! hahahahah
FollowupID: 314145

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:45

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:45
So that what you was doing goin' down the hill?????? What are you getting headaches for? Ahhhh yes...worrying about the duco !!! hehehehehe
FollowupID: 314162

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:27

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:27
My good friends Andrew and Willem, Methinks you are trying to extract a urinary sample out of me. Sorry to inform you but you are both incorrect. The water bottles are for the intake only of moisture only and I do not suffer from headaches however my spouse does suffer this dissability occasionally. I have a theory about headaches which is :- No brains = No headaches. Mr Kempen, I think you would not suffer them frequently either.
FollowupID: 314173

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:00

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:00
G'day Ruth,

Excellent topic, Ruth, and well said.

Remember folks, if you feel thirsty, you are ALREADY dehydrated!!!!!!!!

Pick of trivia I told at our safety meeting this morning, " human produces 1 litre of saliva/day, and a cow produces about 60 litres" No wonder they slobber at times!

River is still running in a couple of channels up here, Ruth. Probably flood again with all the Easter rain??

Hooroo...

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 52369

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:32

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:32
What's this about Easter rain? I hope that things don't get too wet up there!! It has even rained in drought stricken Melbourne this morning. It is a sensational thing the sound of rain on the roof while tucked up in bed! Started feeling like a bit of a cuddle but Jen did not have the same inclination!
Andrew
FollowupID: 314144

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:01

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:01
So even tho its raining are you having your own bit of a drought?
FollowupID: 314149

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:21

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:21
Well I have been married for 13 years now! Speaking of which:

A man walks into a drug store with his 8-year old son. They happen to walk by the condom display, and the boy asks, "What are these, Dad?"
To which the man matter-of-factly replies,
"Those are called condoms, son.... Men use them to have safe sex."
"Oh I see," replied the boys pensively. "Yes, I've heard of that in health class at school."

He looks over the display and picks up a package of 3 and asks, "Why are there 3 in this package."
The dad replies, "Those are for high school boys.

One for Friday, one for Saturday, and one for Sunday."

"Cool!" says the boy. He notices a 6 pack and asks, "Then who are these for?"
"Those are for college men." the dad answers,

"TWO for Friday, TWO for Saturday, and TWO for Sunday."

"WOW!" exclaimed the boy, "then who uses THESE?" he asks, picking up a 12 pack.

With a sigh, the dad replied, "Those are for married men. One for January, one for February, one for March........
FollowupID: 314153

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:33

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:33
Andrew, if you are staying over on Friday night, I'll make sure it doesn't rain on our roof either. What is it with Women, just be cause we want to cuddle them and have some 1 on 1 time with them, they think that all we ever want is sex. They (women) continue to mystify me.
FollowupID: 314175

Reply By: Ray (Geelong) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:03

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:03
>he refused to drink water - refused to open up the windows and canvas curtains in his caravan because flies and bugs might get through the screens

I wish him all the best but he sounds like a raving looney to me. Fix him up and send him back to Melb
AnswerID: 52370

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:04

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:04
Good reminder Ruth - we have to watch the kids too. It is a trap for young players isn't it. I had a holiday to Los Angeles a few years ago and the person I was with did not drink water for about 18 hours and ended up dehydrated the next day and had to go to a hospital had a drip for about six hours. Missed our flight out etc. It's a trap when you come from a cool climate and into the heat in short time.

Cheers Ruth - see you soon. Not sure if we will be in a camper or tent. Leaving Friday.......roll on Friday!

Andrew
AnswerID: 52371

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:06

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:06
Well said, good onya Ruth, our family each have hydration pack's,( from my day's of racing motorcycle enduro's ) would not go anywhere without one, i use a Camelback H.A.W.G. stand's for Hold's Alotof Water & Gear. you can buy them from any camping store, pushbike, motorcycle shop, even K Mart from $60 to $300. Aussie troop's use them, and i recomend anyone who travel's into the bush and aspecialy if anyone love's to do walking track's should have one. Just MHO.

Baz.
AnswerID: 52372

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:44

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:44
Baz, those camelbacks are fantastic aren't they - kids seem to think they are KOOL so at least they use them. we have terrible trouble here with the Japanese bike riders. I have a little sign in Japanese I bring out now to give them which says - Take your leathers off immediately and stand in the shower with your clothes on and Do not drink Cocoa Cola - only water. Unfortunately, they don't take too kindly to this mad woman they meet here who tries to rip their clothes off them when she finds them lying under trees feeling a bit hot. They have also been told to NEVER drink the water anywhere.
FollowupID: 314161

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:41

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:41
Great Aunty Ruth,

Unfortunately, they don't take too kindly to this mad woman they meet here who tries to rip their clothes off .

Really, is this really you.
Andrew is on his way.
FollowupID: 314176

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:32

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:32
They should of been told NEVER drink the water in ADELAIDE, not because it,s not good for you but because it taste awful, lol, sorry if any South Australian,s were offended in the writing of this post. Nothing personal just a conclusion i came to while drinking some, but the beer's nice, Cooper's being my favorite beer, man's not a camel willem.

Baz.
FollowupID: 314183

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:37

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:37
Jeez I am getting nervous about this trip! Is it wet or dry, hot or cold. Drooling cows with sixty litres of saliva. Sitting around a Campfire - thought it would be an airconditioner. Thought that there would be nothing better than laying down under a tree having a nap. Now I reckon I will be having nightmares about waking up with a mad woman trying to rip my clothes off.
Have heard about the desert nymphs.
Andrew
FollowupID: 314184

Follow Up By: Roachie - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 16:53

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 16:53
Ruth,
I take your point about telling the Japanese tourists to NEVER drink the water anywhere. Only trouble with that is that they may take you TO literally at times. I remember a story a few years ago about a Japanese bloke on a motorbike in never-never country in WA somewhere. His bike broke down near a open tank (ie: the large dam type of tank, not a cylindrical one). He was found close to death from de-hydration with many thousands of gallons of muddy water available right there in the tank. He didn't want to drink it cos it was a bit dirty looking..........he'd rather have died. I think in those circumstances, the advice needs to have a (common sense to you & I) over-rider on it perhaps.

Cheers,

Roachie
FollowupID: 314213

Reply By: Ray (Geelong) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:28

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:28
After reading Ruth excellent reminder I had a question in my head about the affects of too much water so I went searching....read on

The military has traditionally focused on the dangers associated with heat
illness, which has killed a number of healthy, young enrollees, Colonel John
W. Gardner of the Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner in Rockville,
Maryland told Reuters Health. However, pushing the need to drink water too
far can also have deadly consequences, he said.

"The risk has always been not drinking enough," Gardner said. "And then
people who aren't medically attuned get overzealous," inducing recruits to
drink amounts of water that endanger their health, he added.

"That's why we published this paper: to make it clear to people that
overzealousness can be dangerous," Gardner explained.

In September 1999, a 19-year-old Air Force recruit collapsed during a
5.8-mile walk, with a body temperature of 108 degrees Fahrenheit. Doctors
concluded he had died of both heat stroke and low blood sodium levels as a
result of overhydration.

During January 2000, a 20-year-old trainee in the Army drank around 12
quarts of water during a 2- to 4-hour period while trying to produce a urine
specimen for a drug test. She then experienced fecal incontinence, lost
consciousness and became confused, then died from swelling in the brain and
lungs as a result of low blood sodium.

In March 2001, a 19-year-old Marine died from drinking too much water after
a 26-mile march, during which he carried a pack and gear weighing more than
90 pounds. Although he appeared fine during the beginning stages of the
8-hour walk, towards the end he began vomiting and appeared overly tired. He
was then sent to the hospital, where he fell into a coma, developed brain
swelling and died the next day. It is unclear how much water he drank during
the march, but Marines were given a "constant emphasis" on drinking water
before and during the activity, Gardner writes in the latest issue of
Military Medicine.

In an interview with Reuters Health, Gardner explained that drinking too
much water is dangerous because the body cannot excrete that much fluid.
Excess water then goes to the bowel, which pulls salt into it from the body,
diluting the concentration of salt in the tissues.

AnswerID: 52376

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:29

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:29
I did a course, motorcycle endruro training and part of that course was keeping hydrated, hydrate before you exersise, rehydrate after, with water, you can use a sports drink but only while you excersise, it is reccomended you drink 250mls of fluid every 20 to 30 mins. If not excersising 2L per day. As Ray has said if you drink to much it is harmful as well. All this onfo can be found on the web.

Baz.
FollowupID: 314157

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:40

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:40
Well, you lot I was waiting for someone to pick me up about too much water - that can cause MAJOR problems. Bob Y - loved the bit about the amount of saliva a cow makes during the day - you could be right about the Easter rains - usually happens, eh Bob??? )!!) Wink wink. Poor andrew & Jen - they'll be panic stricken by now. HEHEHEHE.
Very funny joke Andrew - hope you have a few more for the camp fire.
Say Bob Y - it's very overcast here today and temperature has dropped markedly - must be rain coming don't you think. Rain birds were singing when we were at the secret fishing hole Saturday night with two would-be Shire Councillors (and the satellite phone to ring the tally room later when we'd had a few drinks). Must be going to rain then. Gee the yabbies have been good - bit small but sweet. Sent that bloke back to Melbourne this a.m. (taken them 6 hours to pack up - he's one of those blokes that has every thing that opens and shuts and is electronic - there was hardly room in the car to sit) and then he gave me a lecture on not having HF radio in my car so I told him I don't because if I was in a roll-over my aerial would snap off and I wouldn't be able to give the Flying Doctor my position from my non-existent GPS anyway - but, hopefully I would be able to find my satellite phone and use it. He told me that in the middle of the Desert you can usually find a satellite!!!. I nearly tipped his breakfast in his lap then - but, I didn't I restrained myself and cheerfully waved him farewell. You have days like that.
FollowupID: 314160

Reply By: Diesel Do - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:17

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:17
Ruth,

When fishing in the boat up north for extended periods (eg up to 12 hours on the water in the sun) I adopt the rule that "if you don't need to pee you're not drinking enough water". So far this seems to have worked ok - never had any problems and it might be a good rule of thumb to determine when you really need to drink more water?

Is this an answer to the "too much .vs. too little" issue, or have we just been lucky.

Regards,

AnswerID: 52392

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:28

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:28
Hi DieselDo - you are absolutely correct - the "if you haven't peed you haven't drunk enough water" is the simplest and easiest test of dehydration.
Dunno about it being an answer think you were just lucky to get me attached to one of my hobby horses again, lucky you. Hehehe.
Yes, Willem - I am ignoring you.
FollowupID: 314174

Follow Up By: Diesel Do - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:07

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:07
Thanks Ruth.

Surprising what you can learn from experience - provided you live long enough.

Regards,
FollowupID: 314180

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 15:20

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 15:20
DieselDo - how true!
FollowupID: 314198

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 15:41

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 15:41
Ruth,
We've also be told not to drink freezing cold water either because it sends the body into shock where the body has to warm the water up before it absorbs the water into the body. We only drink what I suppose you would call water at "normal" temp.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 52422

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 20:09

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 20:09
Another 'indicator' that you are dehydrating is the colour and smell of your urine. It goes from clear to a very yellow or even orange and has a very unpleasent smell.
AnswerID: 52467

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 20:24

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 20:24
I have been dehydrated and ended up in hospital for 3 days not fun at all.
It then took about 2 weeks to get over it and ended up with ross river virus and was crook for about 10 weeks.
I am now very very carefull and look out for the signs that are mentioned above.

All the best
Eric

AnswerID: 52477

Sponsored Links