Comment: The ebb and flow of the seasons - The effects of rain on an arid land.

I was trying to find Jarra Pool (also in July 2009) and gave up after not finding anything with water in it - I had heard it never dried up. I was keen to see the plaque left by the Ives brothers as I used to associate with Rob Ives back in the late '70s.

We eventually gave up but managed to find a nice camp site anyway, and while contemplating my disappointment, I looked up and right in front of me was the tree with the plaque in it - we'd found Jarra Pool after all, but it was a little the worst for wear. It looks like you've managed to get hold of my pictures somehow. ;-)

Noel Ives met a rather unfortunate end. For some unknown reason, he and a mate decided to sleep on a railway track in the middle of the bush but obviously had no idea of the train schedules.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:24

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:24
Not as a grim an ending as came to some of the earlier gold propsectors in the area. I belive that one of the Ives is rumoured to have witnessed the rather gruesome end of the prospector John Rooney around 1910 in the Broadhurst Ranges.Rooney Creek is named after him and there are a few landmarks bearting the Ives monika as well.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 549147

Sponsored Links