Comment: Travelling with your camera.

All good advice. On a couple of trips to the backwaters of the USA we noticed a huge number of old timber farm buildings in an advanced state of disrepair, and mused about a book of photos of those subjects. On a more recent trip with an updated point-and-shoot device with sepia tone capability we experimented a bit. The side-by-side comparison of the same subject (and framing), with a gazillion colours vs sepia, is a wakeup call to newbies.

As an aside, we use IrfanView as our freebie photo editor. We NEVER photoshop our images, just crop/resize/resample.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:25

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:25
Hi Zippo,

Yes, the simplicity of monochrome can really enhance some subjects. I'm sure that most photos suffer from excessive, rather than insufficient, detail. Sepia is excellent for denoting that an image is from the past.

IrfanView is good. A bit less daunting than Gimp, and a few steps up from the XNView which we usually use. At the price (free!) all are excellent value. I agree with your minimalist approach to editing too - get it right in the viewfinder in the first place, then you don't need most photoshop facilities. One that we do use frequently is the ability to enhance contrast - try doing that with film!

I'm sure you'd agree that the camera is a great tool in learning to look at your surroundings!

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 549223

Sponsored Links