Gratitude

Submitted: Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 20:57
ThreadID: 11665 Views:1496 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Last August while travelling out from Walcott Inlet in the Kimberly we camped a night at Mt Elizabeth Station, which was a fantastic spot. There were 2 overseas couples travelling the Kimberleys in a L/cruiser, 4x4 Hire from Darwin, they had a broken rear shock, they were in a bit of a dilema as they were short on time, and couldn't speak very good english. We went to the public phone with them to call the hire company, we also had a l/cruiser and were carrying spare shocks. Speaking to the owner we offered to replace the shock with one of ours and he was to send a new shock to our toyota dealer, we have spoken to the owner of the company a couple of times since but still no replacement parts have been sent, how much would it have cost that company to send someone from Kunnanuura (closest town) to do the job. The peple hiring the vehicle were very grateful for our help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:09

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:09
I too have been "forgotten" by people who are to repay for a good turn. Just be happy thet you are the type of people who have a concience and are generous. Don't let the morals of others change the way you are.

I would write a letter to the office in Darwin and also send a copy to their National head office.

Brett
AnswerID: 52486

Follow Up By: Midge - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 23:45

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 23:45
Thanks to all that answered, the company is Four Wheel Drive Hire Service, I checked out there web site and read through the conditions of hire. I would be weary of hiring as it states the vehicle is to be returned in the same condition it went out. Any under body external and interior damage is the responsability of the hirer, I wonder if people are aware of that when they hire them.
FollowupID: 314319

Reply By: Moneypit - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:41

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:41
If you haven't got a response in nearly 12 months then bu@@er the company.

Get hold of someone in the media and get them to do a story on it. Bet as soon as you mention to the company thats your intention you'll get a shock in the mail the next day of two. [Not a bad pun that]

As to cost. A mate of mine did a wishbone [I think] on a Suzuki Vitara and got no change out of 3500 [inlcuded the tow out on a tilt tray truck].

Unbelievable attitude and un Australian. Get a bit sick and tired of this sort of crap.

Name the company and make em pay. Particularly if they are a national set up. Nothing hurts more than a damaged reputation. Perhaps a link in an email pointing them in this direction might be a way to persuade them about the poor judgement.

DRB
AnswerID: 52495

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:42

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:42
Midge

The other party will no doubt get their just desserts but I know it just gets under your skin a tad that they are so ethically bankrupt to behave like this.
You've done the right thing and should feel good about yourselves. Not only that but you portrayed us Aussies as a good & decent bunch of people and that's equally as important.
AnswerID: 52496

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:56

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:56
I think it's okay to say who the hire company is.........
AnswerID: 52499

Reply By: Pesty - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:56

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:56
Hi midge,
Send him a bill for the shock and your time and compound interest from the date of the service and if they dont pay within your terms date then send him a summons. Dont forget that mechanics rates in those parts are VERY high!

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 52500

Reply By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:39

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:39
Hi Midge,
I haven't been on for a while so just saw your post. Follow this company up, don't let them get away with this. Others are correct, no change for $3000 to get a pick up truck from Kununurra to Mt Elizabeth and they would have had to send a replacement vehicle as well. Only thing is for just a shockie they may well have said just drive slow and go to next town.
We may all charge a lot out here ( our hidden costs to us are also very high ) but it costs much more if the choice had been for a mechanic to drive out from Kununurra with a shockie. The media idea is a good one, do it ! Just the fact that you say you will, will probably get your shockie to you real fast, leave it to long and this company may not exist.
Write a story of it send to company and tell them you are about to send to well known 4 WD mag
It is also very good for people like us to know about companies who don't do the right thing as we have to deal with them often and if I trust them I send a bill if not I get money transfer BEFORE we do a job. I have also had a couple of problems in the past but I have won so far because they don't know when of if they will need us again.
That said most are excelent and really bend over to help their clients. Don't like the sound of this mob at all. If he made a verbal promise to you I am sure it it binding you know.
Wonder why Mt Elizabeth didn't tell them to call us, we stock and sell shockies and at not much more than Kununurra.
cheers, Anne
AnswerID: 52745

Follow Up By: Midge - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 10:36

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 10:36
Thanks Ann
The people at Mt Elizabeth probably didn't get to know they had the problem as they came over to our campsite when they first noticed it, we are pretty well decked out and they thought we would be able to help. It is good to know Drysdale stock shocks, we do tend to travel that area every couple of years. Actually we called into Drysdale for an icecream and a beer at the bar and fuel on our way out from Kalumburu, some guys we met at Honeymoon Bay ended up staying with you for the night as they had run out of grog and were sick of camping. They thought Drsdale was Paradise.
FollowupID: 314706

Sponsored Links