Battery maintenance?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 20:18
ThreadID: 11685 Views:1630 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Giday all
A question for all the 'auto electsperts', as i dont have the time to use the 4wd. much [too busy at work] what is the best option to keep the batteries from self distucting? Solar chargers or will they boil the bats. The other one is the electric charger that has a cutoff to stop that problem?? I only use the truck for about 2 hrs. each wk. so I want something that will do the job & no hassles!!!
Thanks in advance
Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Doc - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 21:11

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 21:11
Phil,
I have a motorbike in the same situation - bought a cheap trickle charger from Jaycar (about $35) and plugged it into a timer. It runs for about 2 hrs per day, and does a great job.
Geoff
AnswerID: 52595

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 21:29

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 21:29
G'Day Phil

How about a solar charger. Be sure to get one that has an inbuilt regulator ... Dick Smith, Tandy etc.

They come with a male cigar lighter plug. Get yourself a female socket and hook it up by-passing the ignition switch (so it's hot all the time).

Throw the panel on the roof of the carport ??? and plug it in. If the battery's in fair/good condition that'll keep it tickled up.

Cheers
AnswerID: 52596

Follow Up By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 17:51

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 17:51
Giday Rosco
It sounds like the solar charger is the go, I was told about them b4 but I thought I would get some more input. I checked the aux. bat after quite a loooong time & it was dry,put it on the charger 4 a cuppla days & it seems to be alright [ been runnin a camp light for 3 days ,so heres hopin!!] Thanks 4 the other replies,GREAT SITE catchya later
Phil
FollowupID: 314513

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 14:26

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 14:26
How about a Delkor Calcium battery.
They were designed for new cars coming from Japan, where they spend a few weeks on the ship, a few weeks on the docks, then a few weeks in the car yard, and the sales man wants the car to start instantly.
They have a shelf life of 3 months before they start to discharge, so if you leave your truck parked then in 3 months you are guarunteed to be able to start it 1st time.
AnswerID: 52653

Sponsored Links