Comment: Rooftop Tents – The Good, the Bad, and what do you really think

G'day Baz,

we've been using a Shippshape rooftop tent for about four years. It suits our type of touring and our budget at the moment.
The day is drawing closer where the climb up the ladder at night is going to be too hard. At the moment it is not a problem and buying a wider ladder with bigger rungs has helped at lot.

The things we like about it is;
- we don't have to tow anything. We like to take the road less travelled and it is one less thing we have to worry about plus the old diesel isn't too keen on towing.
- sleeping on the roof keeps us up away from anything that wants to sniff around our camp at night, we don't have to setup a tent on hot ground, wet ground, lumpy ground.
- up on the roof we pick up nice cool breezes when we want them.
- we can setup in ten minutes, with an awning the first thing setup because the cover becomes the awning.
- the bed is made and ready to go and light, flat items can be stored up there when we're travelling.

The only draw back is the extra height prevents me from accessing some carparks but I'm used to that now.

The argument about having to pack up to go anywhere doesn't really worry us. If we heads off for the day we can leave the mat pegged to the ground, leave bits and pieces at camp and we are packed up in 15 minutes tops. It only takes 10 minutes to setup when we get back.

I'd like to take mine off more often but we use it regularly. Whenever I think I should get my son and his mates to get lifting we plan another trip.

I enjoyed your write up and I'm sure it will help a number of people that are tossing up whether to try one, or not.

Steve.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:26

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:26
Hi Steve

Thanks for the comments. Some good points, and I do hear you on the set-up, especially if moving each day.

Regards
Baz
AnswerID: 549358

Sponsored Links