The process of having a QLD registered trailer re-rated to a lower ATM

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 05, 2015 at 22:10
ThreadID: 116942 Views:3289 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have purchased a dual axle boat trailer and I want to lower the ATM from 3,070 kg to be 2,200 kg. With a tow ball weight of 200kg then I would have a GTM of 2,000 kg.
I put the trailer and boat combo over a weigh bridge fully loaded and the GTM Was 1,940 kg.

My understanding is that if I keep the GTM to 2,000 kg or less then I will NOT need to install a break-away coupling and I will only need brakes on at least one axle. I also believe that the hydraulic over-run brakes fitted are adequate.

I understand that I will need to get a engineer to supply a "Modification Certificate".

If anybody has dealt with a similar scenario, I would be very grateful for your thoughts?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 02:12

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 02:12

If the trailer is already licenced/registered at 3070 kg, why do you have to add the breakaway system, it should already be there, if it's not registered take it back to where you bought it from and complain that it is not licensable in it's current state because of the lack of breakaway system..

One day you might buy a bigger boat, then you'd have to go through the process all over again to reverse all the changes.

AnswerID: 549484

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 07:41

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 07:41

Check those hydraulic brakes. I had a Qld trailer once, double bogey, and the master cylinder hated salt water.
Changed over to a single disc brakes override system, and found out that the rotors and pads didn't like salt water either.

The maintenance schedule was onerous. I was forever replacing and then repairing things.

My boat was a 5.5m, with an inboard six cylinder Chrysler hemi. Weighed a bit!


Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 834882

Reply By: Ben M10 - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 08:19

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 08:19
Thanks Disco,

All valid points, the boat yard refused to fix due to the boat under consignment. I rang Queensland transport and they said ... " not their problem"

My option seems the cheapest legal option that I can do.
AnswerID: 549496

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 08:45

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 08:45
If the trailer was manufactured prior to the introduction of the requirements for breakaway systems, then it doesn't have to be upgraded.

FollowupID: 834884

Reply By: swampfox - Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 16:06

Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 16:06
1st DONOT use standard iron /metal hydraulic brakes in salt

Tip at least use all galvinised suspension brake system with stainless /bronze disc
A galvinised override mechanical disc system is cheap enough .
If u have the hydraulic nine inch drum system fitted ,thro them as far as u can .

2nd de register the trailer and and register as new biult prior to ""1985"" year of manufacturer. This will eliminate the mod plate bull bleep . u have to pay for a vin number and an id plate
Technically u can reregister as a derated trailer but the ever so wise RTA people will have a lot of trouble with this .Some times u can have a win if u speak only with the manager

AnswerID: 549617

Reply By: Ben M10 - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 08:06

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 08:06
Thank you everybody for your input.

The brakes are hydraulic actuated galvanised disc brakes so they should do the job.

I have spoken to manager at Queensland transport and hopefully "should" be fairly straight forward.
AnswerID: 549700

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)