Tom Grogin to Mt Pinibar

Submitted: Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 21:25
ThreadID: 116958 Views:1817 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just after info on the above area, we were wondering, how long the drive takes from Tom Grogin camp area to Mt Pinibar, it doesn't look that far on Google earth... And I followed a track, few turns which ended, up the road from Thredbo village... Not sure if there are any locked gates on this track, think it was called cascades track? Any info would be great... Thinking of heading up there tomorrow.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 21:50

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 21:50
A Range Rover Club trip camped at Geehi Walls over Christmas and 4 cars being 2D4s a D2A and a Defender did Mt Pinnibar.
They found the Tom Groggin to Mt Pinnibar track badly eroded and difficult compared to last year when I did it.

The Defender had to be winched and one (inexperienced ) D4 driver damaged a tyre and broke a window by sliding into a branch.

It is always steep and loose but now badly eroded as well from reports.

Usually it takes about 2 hours, but now who knows. Depends on stucks and recoveries.
Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 549534

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 22:04

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 22:04
Thanks Philip
Had heard it has eroded pretty badly, and wasn't sure of time to do the trip in and out. Slow and steady by the sound of it. Thanks for the info. Great help. Have a great weekend. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 834930

Reply By: patsproule - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 06:37

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 06:37
We went up it a few weeks ago, having done it several times in the past few years. This is the first time I have bailed on a track. Probably about 1km from the top a very steep and eroded section was enough for us to call it quits as we did not have a winch between us. Otherwise an awesome drive.
AnswerID: 549542

Reply By: vk1dx - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 08:22

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 08:22
I have a suspicion that Cascades Track is a walking track only. If it's the track that goes past Cascades hut that you are talking about.

Sounds like Mt Pinnibar needs a visit. Been there several times and it was not a hard drive back then. We also don't mind turning back but it's nice to try a challenge once in a while. I did give Mt Walker, up near Lithgow, a miss.

AnswerID: 549543

Reply By: Dr Hook - Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 13:32

Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 13:32
G'day Odog:
2 days ago, we came up the back of Pinnibar (confusing, with new logging tracks around Mt Gibbo track, and down the Pinnibar track to Tom Groggin. Vehicles were my Patrol 3.0litre with camper trailer plus a Cruiser and a Colorado (no mods)!
Down to Tom Groggin was extreme, very rocky and a couple of places a sideways slide. I ran the left front wheel onto a rock (deliberately, at crawl-speed, to avoid another sharp rock) and it collapsed from under me, dragging the Patrol sideways half over the edge. Only the trailer stopped it from going right over. Took a belay from behind and winched myself back on track - it got me out in 5-10 minutes, but that made the track more interesting than necessary!! Its a case of "been there, done that and no need to do it again". The bad bits are quite comparable to the bad bits of Billygoat (near Dargo), a coupla days before. We took well over an hour for the last 10 kms.
My mates reckon it was a great effort for my camper trailer (a Ranger). All I did was tore out an egg-sized chunk from my swing-up jockey wheel tyre.
We met a cyclist half way, on his way up: I asked him if he knew what he was in for and he just grinned and said "Yep, been here before"(!). He had ridden from Jindabyne that day and was on his way to Omeo - an 8 day trek.
Good luck! Going up from Tom Groggin, expect considerable underbody & tyre damage unless you are equipped.
Cheers,
Dr Hook
AnswerID: 549603

Sponsored Links