Beach for snorkeling

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 09:44
ThreadID: 116974 Views:1865 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Willing to know if there is a "decent" beach to do snorkeling, to get some video foitage, between Rockhampton and Port Douglas. I am talking about a coastal beach, no islands, no day tourist package, just going in and having some acceptable corals and fish life. Please, no aquariums.
I was a diver for 21 years but paradoxically prices for diving in Australia are only for millionaires or people working in the mine industry.. Thanks in advance. Carlo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 10:29

Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 10:29
I know your said no islands but Magnetic Island may be seen as part of Townville only a 30 min ferry ride. Good snorkelling on several of its beaches.
AnswerID: 549594

Reply By: petengail - Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 16:29

Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 16:29
Kurramine beach may be an option the reef is only about 50 metres off shore at its closest point. I putted out in a very small tinnie and managed to catch my first coral trout there.
AnswerID: 549619

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 21:17

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 21:17
Bowen, Grays Bay anywhere around to Horseshoe Bay, med to high tide, beaut :)
AnswerID: 549687

Follow Up By: ferrarofilms - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 22:20

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 22:20
Les:
Can you give me more details? The only pictures I've seen from Magnetic Island are not encouraging, little visibility and reef (sort of) very deep. If visibility isn't at least 10 metres and reefs are deeper than a few meters the results on video are not worth the effort.
Thanks for your reply.
Carlo
FollowupID: 835103

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 22:41

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 22:41
Carlo, just noticed your username and intention to try and get reef footage ?

Ok, we used to snorkel all these beaches as teens many years ago, was plenty of reef / fish around back then, but now ? Not too sure, but expect it would be ok.

We used to spearfish here and catch crayfish, but your expectations may be different.

Grays Bay here on Google Maps, off this big lumps of granite rock and you can see the darker rocks and reef just off there.

This is
FollowupID: 835106

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 22:50

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 22:50
Hit submit instead of insert link . . .

This is Horseshoe Bay just up the road.
Rocks either side and all around there is great granite and reef.

You could snorkel all the way around from Grays to Horseshoe if so inclined.

Rose Bay is further along, again, snorkeling around to here is possible, and massive granite shoreline that hides all sorts of marine life.
Not for windy or rough weather though.

If you're after GBR type of reef, you will probably be disappointed.
If you want a bit of rock / reef / fish life, you will probably have a bit to video.
Got to get it when still weather, and med to high tide.

Watch out for box jelly season !! Everywhere in QLD.

FollowupID: 835107

Follow Up By: ferrarofilms - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 06:40

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 06:40
Thanks Less. I am aware that I will not find anything like GBR, just looking for a fringing reef with accessible marine life. Will check out your links. Jellyfish, yeah, even with wet suit and gloves can be dangerous, sea wasps can go around face and neck. Unfortunately the contamination of the ocean, global warming and the uncontrolled transportation of species from one ocean to another by big sea ships originates a disruption on marine life bringing new predators to a different part of the world. Lionfishes are now a plague in the Caribbean and the reefs are under attack by jellyfishes, urchins, sea stars and algae plus the seasonal whitening. Add to that the overfishing.....I saw how pristine sites in the Caribbean looked after 20 years of continuous damaging and pollution. Sad...
FollowupID: 835115

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 09:32

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 09:32
Yes, the little Irukandji species of jellyfish wasn't around when I was young up there, and as deadly as its much larger box jelly cousin.
We used to wear panty hose as a precaution to the box jelly stings, strange wearing them on exposed legs and arms, but it works apparently.

I have snorkeled further north too, up around Cairns and the GBR on day trips.
It might be worth jumping in on a couple of the charter cruise out to the reef or other locations, sometimes pricing not too bad but depending on the operator, but can be limited in time spent doing activities etc.

Cheers Carlo, enjoy your travels up the coast.
FollowupID: 835120

Sponsored Links