Tyre Monitors

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 20:53
ThreadID: 117129 Views:2328 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

I need advice regarding tyre monitors,what and how much should I pay? I`ve got sick of having blowouts. I drive a Patrol 4.8 using cooper st maxx. Any information would be great.

Thanks Uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:08

Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:08
www.sidewinder.com.au are as good as any and better than some Pricewise the same
AnswerID: 551224

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:30

Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:30
Depends on the type of sensors you are looking for. I've done a review on the two types that I have used. My recommendation is Sensatyre in what ever flavour of tyre sensor you want (internal, internal valve or screw on valve (external)).

Tyre Pressure Monitor Review

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551226

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Vic - Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:32

Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:32
Agree with Mick, had them for years and they have more than paid for themselves.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 836708

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:59

Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:59
Inawise is a great unit.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 551230

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 07:42

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 07:42
I currently have the Inawise too and happy with it
Previously had the external Tyredog unit and that did the job for an external unit

As far as how much should you pay? The first tyre you save pays for the unit so I look at it as an investment not a cost
FollowupID: 836721

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 06:29

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 06:29
I've had 2 units, the TMPS one and more recently the Sidewinder one. I have a trailer which limits the choice somewhat. Both were great and saved me.

Here is my take
1) I would definitely avoid any that are sealed. The sidewinder ones have been through sand, water etc and never missed a beat.I got sick of paying $50 x 6 every 2 years for new sealed sensors. Now I carry a handful of CR2016 batteries, though interestingly they have lasted more than 3 years.....

2)While an internal one is probably more accurate for temperature, pressure is the same as an external one. Temperature is a longer term symptom of a problem and you will get an alarm well before temp becomes a problem. Having said that, the temp function of my external ones still show a trend. If you rotate the tyres or have 2 sets then internals would definitely be a PITA. Plus many are sealed batteries - see 1)

3) Don't worry about the display too much. You should never need to look at it for normal driving. If the device has a decent alarm then you will know if you have a slow or fast flat. There is no missing it. Also you will realise how much the tyre temps and pressures change while driving. Generally the tyres on the sun side of the car are 4 - 6 PSI more than the shaded side, then they swap around when you turn corners. ( So much for the 4 PSI Rule LOL) Anyway the point is that looking at the tyre pressures and temps means almost zero minute by minute. Mounting is more important than display IMHO.

Given that the Sidewinder one has motion detection to turn the sensors and display off, easily enables and disables the trailer sensors, and simply allows alarm thresholds per axle. It seemed decent value to me. Happy Chappy.
AnswerID: 551238

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 06:51

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 06:51
I forgot to mention. One possible downside of the Sidewinder ones is that the sensor is quite large, a little less diameter than a $1 coin. Much larger than the TPMS ones were ( $2) and they are black and brass. I used a marker to cover the brass colour. They do knock the paint on my steel rims a little. If this worries you then you should look for an alternative. I am referring to the MV22 model and have no experience with the other ones he sells.

To to date, the sensors haven't failed or caused any other problems as a result of that issue. Also the range is pretty good and I have never had any drop outs from the trailer. Before I bought this, I looked at the Tyredog but read of lots of unreliability issues, especially with the trailer readings.
FollowupID: 836719

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 07:46

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 07:46
Another vote for the sidewinder unit. I have been running the 4 sensor unit for the past year and its been fine. Really like the fact I can set the pressure alarm setpoints to whatever I like - the previous TPMS system I had used a fixed percentage which was a pain off-road.

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 836722

Follow Up By: uppy - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:49

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:49
Thank you guys for the input . Im going to check out a few today .Let you know what I pick up.Cheers uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 836731

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 08:06

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 08:06
Boobook
We use the external TyreDogs and destroyed a set on the ABH due to the corrugations smashing the sensor onto the rim.
Got some 25mm thick medium density foam and using a 25mm hole saw cut some plugs that fit over the valve stem, then fit the sensor, problem solved.
You could use a metal stem but may be a bit rigid if it hits something on the track.
Worked for 3 years now.
FollowupID: 836795

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 08:49

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 08:49
Cheers. I'm hoping to go on the Anne Beadell this year so might take your advice. Sounds like everything has to be bolted or strapped down.
FollowupID: 836796

Reply By: Hewy54 - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 07:48

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 07:48
Have used the tyredog for 3 years without a problem (but no punctures in this time as I drive a Landcruiser with BFG). Mate also has the tyredog system and he has managed to save tyres twice on heavy corrugations when the TPMS alerted him of a puncture before it deflated completely.
AnswerID: 551307

Sponsored Links