How do you pack your fridge?

Hi All,
what tips and tricks can you give for fridge packing? How do you stop things from filling the gaps when you take the milk out for example? Do you use containers and if so what sort? What goes on the bottom and what sits on the top?

Just wondering because my fridge management could do with some improvement I think!!!!

Cheers
Evan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GarryR - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 10:11

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 10:11
we turn our 47ltr fridge into a freezer and place a 15ltr cooler on the back seat of the twin cab. There is only the 2 of us, and as we only use milk in our tea and coffee we take the little uht milk packs. We freeze all our food in vaccum packs to save on space and not having to cart around empty containers.

As for liquids eg soup, we freeze it in a plastic container first they vac pack. Even cheese salami etc we vac pak into 2day lots to keep everything fresh. We also take 2 freezer bricks which we swap over every morning into our cooler along with our evening meal food. this will defrost slowly and the cooler never switches on, it even cools downs our drinks beers and wine. By the time we stop we still have to place our steaks or whatever onto the gamma oven ( bonnet or bulbar) to finish defrosting for about 10 mins or so while we prepare the rest of the food. We pack so things are fairly tight but in and order of this corner has soups and layers of chicken, steak etc mixed up for variety, but still easy to get to if you change your mind.

The little cooler part of the fridge is still enough room to keep a spare drink each along with the open vac packs of cheese etc, eggs There is normally enough frozen food for about 5weeks when full as we also stop for the occasional counter tea when we happen to hit a decent town. We also take frozen mixed vegies as you can't take fresh fruit and veg into certain areas (quarantine stations) then we tend to buy fresh fruit and veg then at the next town. We also take dehydrated food as well as tinned fruit and veg to supplement the meals.

You can cook your spaghetti bol sauce prior to leaving, freeze it, vacpak it so all you have to do is cook the pasta and heat the sauce - quick and simple hope this helps as this is what we do but I am also curious to see what other people do cheers Garry and Judy
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551377

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 10:29

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 10:29
We use a couple of open topped plastic boxes to contain items that could make a mess if the lid unscrews and then the bottle/jar flips upside down (yes it does happen on badly corrugated roads). Otherwise when the fridge is packed we used fully or partially inflated wine bladders to jam into all the voids to stop stuff bouncing around.

We have a 190L two door fridge freezer in the van

John
AnswerID: 551379

Reply By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 10:36

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 10:36
Evan 1,

I put butter, cheese, tomatoes, pepperoni in the dairy part of the fridge but in the main part I use square or rectangular Lock n Lock containers to put things like ham or fritz, raw meat that I am going to eat soon like steak, snags, bacon; any leftovers etc. this way they stack up nicely and don't tend to collapse when I take something out like the milk.

Regards,
Bob
AnswerID: 551380

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 11:28

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 11:28
90% of original packaging goes in the bin and stuff is repacked into plastic containers that fit the spaces available.
No glass.
Zip top bags and glad wrap is the packing material of choice in the freezer.
Cut 2L of icecream into 4 pieces and put them into zip top plastic bags.........

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 551383

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 19:27

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 19:27
I'll second that Peter.
I'm a huge fan of the zip lock bag even to the point of putting my butter in one. A half empty container such as butter still takes up 100% of it's original packaging.
Egg carton also gets trimmed back every time a couple of eggs get used.
I do however use butter containers to put frozen meal portions into then throw them out after use. They stack well. Eg: Shepherd's pie left overs etc.

Fab.
FollowupID: 836876

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 16:23

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 16:23
Ditto the wine cask bladders, also use them in storage boxes as items are used, keeps everything in it's place. I like the idea of the plastic boxes to store items in.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551400

Follow Up By: Anne S4 - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 21:18

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 21:18
Ditto the wine case bladders. We have used them for ages, the best in the fridge
FollowupID: 836955

Reply By: Evan 1 - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 17:44

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 17:44
Thanks for the replies....food for thought so to speak
Cheers
Evan
AnswerID: 551404

Reply By: cookie1 - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 18:03

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 18:03
We too vac pack our food and "file it" in the Waeco Freezer, when we use the food we start making ice with the zip bags therefore minimising air which takes a lot of power to cool down.

Once we have exhausted most of our food I then switch off our drinks fridge and start filling the vacant space in the freezer now turned up to about 4 degrees which will keep everything cool and the unused food keeps frozen a little longer or until we are ready to eat it typically in the last days of the trip.

cheers
AnswerID: 551406

Reply By: Barry 2 - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 00:01

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 00:01
Hi Evan
I agree with all the ideas suggested especially square containers stack so much better.
The one big difference I have found to make my 45 ltr fridge run more efficiently is to stuff the empty space with rolled up newspaper balls, reduce air space ( Killer for fridge efficiency ) I couldn't believe how much better it ran, hardly cycles, when it was new I thought it wasn't running properly.
Good luck
Safe Travels
Barry
AnswerID: 551437

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 00:26

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 00:26
I use an old whiskey bottle tin in the corner of the fridge to store either wine or a water battle. when I need the drink just pull the bottle out and the tin stops all the food stuff from falling out.

Dunc.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 551438

Follow Up By: Sludgie W.A - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:59

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:59
Water bottle? I don't think so and only one bottle of wine. Oh please Duncs.
FollowupID: 836935

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 21:44

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 21:44
I use my 45lt fridge / freezer as a fridge only, we plan meals, freeze a lot of items well before going.
These are placed on the lower part of the main fridge, which is run at -2, seems to be the best temp for us to keep drinks just right :)

Use a lot of ziplock bags too, nice an easy to dispense from and fit well into nooks and crannies in the fridge.

Tinny tubes are great for cans to stop them bursting, but even cheap thin socks work fine, even for warm cans yet to be put in the fridge when restocking each morn before the days drive.

The little warmer compartment up top gets the butter, yoghurt, cheese etc, all in their own secure lidded plastic containers.

I don't usually have problems with the gaps filling in when removing something temporarily like milk (it's not a tall fridge like many on the market, which I think would make this more of an issue), but if needed, I like the idea of a suitable size tin that stays in place to keep the spot clear.
AnswerID: 551507

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)