Menindee Lakes

Looking to head to Mendindee lakes in late April, have never been there before. Has anyone been recently, whats the water levels like, etc, is it worth the trip at this time of year. Also someone mentioned that they had trouble with the local indigenous members at their camp sites, anyone had any problems before. If not a good time to go will have to look for an alternative place. Any help or advise would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: goldlink - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:54

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:54
Hey sorry guys this should read Menindee Lakes, "typo error"
AnswerID: 551446

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:00

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:00
Goldlink

I was there may last year and the year before and had no trouble at all with the local indigenous guys.
It worth seeing the lake system and the old wool shed .
There are heaps of good camping options.
Don't go at Easter time its very crowded and a bit feral.

Cheers
AnswerID: 551447

Reply By: Member - Don & Kathie M (TAS) - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:17

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:17
You might be interested in this report Menindee Lakes

Cheers, Kathie
AnswerID: 551448

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:21

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:21
AH, Menindee Lakes. Make sure that you go there when there is no moon at night. The Stars, the Stars. What a brilliant place to look up into the sky and realise just how insignificant we are.
AnswerID: 551449

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:39

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:39
I was watching Landline yesterday there was a story on there about silver city Broken Hill 3rd time they're been it drought in the past decade. Probably better to wait till they get some substantial rainfalls before heading out there I don't see the use in tourist adding to their water shortage considering they expect to only have enough to last till around August. Type in landline click on silver city to watch the programme it will help you to make your decision if you think it's worth the trip or not I'd say not.
AnswerID: 551450

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:57

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:57
When I went several years ago, there was no water in Menindee lake , but Kopi Hollow was full.
We stayed at
http://www.bhsbc.com.au/club/accommodation

Although the entry to the caravan park was a bit depressing with a lot of untidy old on site vans, we were directed to a beautiful campsite for our camper trailer ( unpowered) on a grassed area right next to the lake, and provided with a brazier with old sleepers to burn. They also provided meals if requested.

It was great and I wouldn't hesistate to go back in the cold weather when there are no speedboats around.
Regard sPhilip A
AnswerID: 551451

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:01

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:01
PS I was put off camping near Paramoo lake as there were a couple of caravans there with enormous looking generators, and the area was a bit of a dust bowl anyway.
FollowupID: 836907

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 16:03

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 16:03
x 2 for Copi Hollow Grassed camping area - Right on the lake
Top Spot.
FollowupID: 836916

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:42

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:42
we set up camp at Copi Hollow last August as the National Park was closed due to recent rains. This is a lovely caravan park and amenities. I raced boats on Copi Hollow 40years ago and this place has not changed. Well worth the visit. Even though we came up from Pooncarrie in the mud, we cleaned up as much as we could the following morning and informed the caretaker who was very grateful and would finish off the job as their lawns were pristine. The other lakes at the time were dry. Would recommend this park highly. If the boat club is open it is worth seeing the old photos of the boat races.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 836934

Reply By: goldlink - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:31

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:31
Thanks guys for all the comments, much appreciated. Perhaps we might postpone till another time when the heavens decided to open up !
AnswerID: 551454

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:50

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:50
Good idea. The lakes were as dry as a bone in the Landline show.
FollowupID: 836908

Reply By: Geobserver - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 14:38

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 14:38
If you still end up going, try the camp ground next to the Broken Hill Speedboat Club.The woolshed is fantastic - you can poke around there for at least half a day (not quite sure what it is called or exactly where, but it will be obvious when you get there). On the road between Menindee and Broken Hill we had an emu run next to our car for over 500m - fantastic!
AnswerID: 551459

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:37

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:37
Hi Goldlink

Lake Menindee is dry and even the green grass which grew when it was emptied has been grazed by station livestock and has now turned a dry brown. It will take more than the heavens to open up. With a state election only days away there will be a fair chance that the party in power will retain power, and Menindee may not be filled again.

ABC publicity over the past few days seemed to be more about promoting the campaign to continue drilling bores, which have not yielded quality potable water in the past, and were broadcast at this critical time close to the state election. The water hungry growing of cotton seems to be taking a higher precedence than household water.

Yes, water is being pumped into and stored in Copi Hollow for Broken Hill.Lake Pamamaroo Campground is certainly dry and dusty and beside a green slimy looking trickle of water.

Local tourism will be suffering badly, so I am sure many locals would welcome visitors.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 551475

Reply By: goldlink - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:41

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:41
Thanks again for all your help and advice, hopefully one day will get to Menindee when it is restored to all its beauty.
AnswerID: 551476

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:52

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:52
Liz Murray from Trilby Station ( a mast stay place if you do that part of the Darling) reported recently that about a metre of water has gone down the river past the station (near Louth) recently. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, someone posed a video of water flowing over the weir at Menindee on Facebook recently.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551479

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:42

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:42
Yes, it doesn't matter so much how much rain they've had locally, but how much in the QLD inland region.
Of course some local falls will green up the banks a bit, nad settle the dust for camping.
Might be worth trying to find a biz in a local town in the book, and asking someone first hand about levels.
FollowupID: 836933

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 22:32

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 22:32
It is more about how much is held back to the cotton farms in the catchment areas in Queensland and New South Wales. Queenslands say what falls in Quuensland stays in Queensland, so the doesn't allow much catchment for western New South Wales.

Google Earth shows a massive area of dams at Cubbie Station in Queensland - the largest irrigation property in the southern hemisphere. See Wikipedia. Cubbie was sold to the Chinese. Extract:
"The station is licenced to take 460,000 megalitres (16,000 by 106 cu ft), the equivalent of all irrigation entitlements downstream in north-western NSW. The property has the capacity to grow 200 square kilometres (77 sq mi) of cotton. In 2006, the dams on the property were filled to 1% capacity allowing for only 200 hectares (490 acres) of cotton planting.

The station is often derided for its large water usage requirements in a time of extreme drought in Australia and damage to the Murray Darling river system"

Worth reading the whole article on Wikipedia.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837012

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 22:34

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 22:34
If anyone is on Facebook, I can give you links to a whole lot more about the Menindee Lakes debacle. Sorry, I cannot link Facebook pages here.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837013

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2015 at 09:27

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2015 at 09:27
You can discuss all the theory in the World, but eye witness accounts report a meter increase in water levels and a video of water running over the weir at Menindee has also been posted on Facebook. There has not been enough rain in the catchments to produce any more than that. Most of the water from ex TC Marcia ended up in the Pacific Ocean.

Cubbie Station is not on the Darling but on one of its many tributaries. If there are reasonable rains in the Queensland Tablelands and the great dividing range in South East Queensland water will run down the Darling.

It is my understanding that Cubbie Station fills its large water holdings when there is ample water in the river so that they have water during dry times.

But it is easy to find out if there is water in any part of the Murray Darling System. Phone the Murray Darling Authority or someone in the vicinity of the area of your interest.

But the Darling River Run is interesting no matter the water level in the river. Surely campers don't need a full waterhole every night that they camp.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 837020

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2015 at 09:59

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2015 at 09:59
"But the Darling River Run is interesting no matter the water level in the river. Surely campers don't need a full waterhole every night that they camp."

Very good advice Kevin; we travel and see the country as it is and it is a dry country for most of it. We don't often camp near a waterhole when on tour. This thread is not about the fight for water for the people that rely on it for their town water supplies, but about touring the Menindee Lakes area, which includes a visit to the former Kinchega pastoral station, now a National Park. All is not lost for those who tour. Much is lost for those who live there.

I can MM you a link to my Facebook page if you like, and you can see the photos taken of Lake Menindee and adjoining lakes. The December series of posts and photographs show it with no water, but green grass being grazed by station livestock. The photo taken last Sunday shows dry grass. They are not my photos, and while items on Facebook can be 'shared' to other Facebook pages, I would need to get permission from the person who took the photos to post them here.

Some water has been released down the Darling from Bourke Weir, and there is now water at the small Wilcannia Dam. At the Menindee Lakes, water has been pumped into the smaller Copi Hollow for use as the water supply for Broken Hill.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837021

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:51

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:51
Hi Goldlink, the Lake system is down to 5% as per Murray Darling website but it's still worth going to see the empty lakes and all the other attractions mentioned above. Then you can come back again in a few years when the rains come and refill the lakes - minus of course the extraction for cotton and other rural uses.Take care if you drive in from Ivanhoe as any showers on those dirt roads turn them into skating rinks. See pix in Lake Menindee by clicking on this link ... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 551488

Sponsored Links