Review: Mitchell Plateau

My Place Rating: My Rating 5/5

The trip to Mitchell Falls was pioneered in 1983 by well known Kimberley legend, Sam Lovell. Sam drove to the now campsite then with his bush skills walked to the falls via Mertens creek. Then heading away in a South westerly direction over the rocky terrain to come out on the top of What I see has been renamed Mertens Gorge. He did this to start walk treks to the falls for his tourist operations which he conducted from Derby. I accompanied Sam and wife Rosita on the first walk tour to the falls. I was at that time the Camp manager for Mitchell Plateau Bauxite mining co. Sam conducted several tours each tourist season and ran along the plateau to what was known then as the Caravan Lookout. Another spectacular spot on Mitchell Plateau is Surveyors Pool, a beautiful natural pool that is on a creek that flows into the Mitchell river. Care should be taken when swimming in the freshwater tributaries to the Mitchell and Lawley Rivers as Dangerous crocs abound in all areas.
I lived on Mitchell Plateau for four years and enjoyed every minute. Only this week Riotinto has decided to relinguish its tenancy of Mitchell Plateau bauxite reserves so a natural Park development is inevitable for the area. It is a beautiful part of the North Kimberly . Dennis K Ferrell. M/P 1982-1986. Doongan Stn 1987 Submitted 26 March 2015
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Sponsored Links