Thought I driven the Gunbarrel, but...

I first drove parts of the Gunbarrel back in '97.

Apart from the first (or last) kilometre from Victory Downs I thought I had completed it all in 2012 when I drove a section of the abandoned section I hadn't driven before.

However I now find myself having to go back again (not sure when).

There is a bypass just east of Mungilli about 400 metres long. I've always just followed the main road at that section.

Oh well, any excuse is a good one!!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 21:23

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 21:23
Damn those 400 meters!! :)
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 551869

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 21:35

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 21:35
I know John I know, so frustrating :-)

Lucky there's heaps of things to see and do and travel to in the area, so probably won't be my primary reason for the next trip, though of course it must be done for the Gunbarrel bragging rights haha....

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837392

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 21:40

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 21:40
If the box is worth ticking, then tick it well and truly. :)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 837394

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 21:57

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 21:57
hey John did you sell your fridge?
or have you put it in the new Troopy....

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837396

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 22:22

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 22:22
It's on my to do list, hopefully sooner than later.
FollowupID: 837397

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 22:23

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 22:23
No Al, still sitting there with your name on it :)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 837398

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 22:30

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 22:30
Hi Steve, it's a great drive all up, some sections are better than others - the first time was the most memorable..

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837399

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 22:48

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 22:48
My tours in Kakadu take in a lot of Australian history, from the old aboriginal stories of kakadu to Burke and wills, Stuart, Sturt etc you get the idea and as I drive out of Jim Jim car park they love listening to Lens Sheraton talk.
I have always wanted to do the whole gunbarrel in lens honour as my first line of work was a surveyor.

As I said one day. :-)
FollowupID: 837404

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 23:27

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 23:27
Oh Steve, I doubt that Lennie ever set foot in a 'Sheraton'.
It was 'Shepparton'.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 837408

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 23:31

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 23:31
Yes Allen it was but it's late and I didn't check. lol
FollowupID: 837410

Reply By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2015 at 13:10

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2015 at 13:10
hi Alan
i drove the gunbarrel in late september 1983 for the first time including the now abandoned section which was incidentally the only section that had minor corrugations the rest of it was just wash out ruts and the odd hole caused by water and vehiclesi drove on the section from willuna to gary junction turn off again in october 1987 the mungilli only had moderate amount of water which could be negotiated easily no bogs in those days we then went north on the Gary hwy camping at charles knob the first night and then at the airstrip near kunawarritji which at the time wasn't maintained and used only for emergency's landing
the CSR in those days didnt and i repeat didn't have any corrugations either and it was a great and peaceful serene experience to drive it compared to 2000 when i drove from Wiluna to well 33 community and out to 90 mile beach on wapet rd and by what i read today it's got a hell of a lot worse
i cherish the experiences from back then
the Gary /the Gunbarrel and the CSR compared to the horrugations that exist today sadly by thousands of vehicles in too much of a hurry due to limited time schedules has brought about the conditions that are the current situation
but i guess that's life
i did the first 2 trips in a 2.4 ltr petrol nissan navara dualcab ute with standard suspension and had no problems and averaged 21mpg both trips the corrugations equate to increased fuel used due to the relentless extra spinning of wheels...
negotiating sand dunes was easy with no mud of any significance to speak of on the CSR dunes were in very good negotiable condition in those days not chopped up and without deep wheels tracks like today
great memories
cheers barry
AnswerID: 551888

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2015 at 20:25

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2015 at 20:25
Thanks Barry,

It would have great to have driven it, the Gary and the CSR back then when the conditions were not as bad. And as I think you infer, you would not have needed a sooped up 4by to travel them all in one piece.
You're quite lucky to have experienced it.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837449

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 09:45

Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 09:45
Ah corrugations - god, I hate them! Recently did a section of the Anne Beadell and couldn't believe how corrugated it had become. Met a guy along it in a nice Pajero who complained viciously about how rough it was and then took great pride in telling me he had driven almost the whole stretch in 2WD, as if to somehow prove how good his vehicle was.

When I pointed out to him that he indeed did have a very competent 4WD but he was making the track much worse by not using it as such, it was like a revelation to him: he'd never associated corrugations with poor traction. This is not my first experience with this - I've quite a few of these conversations over the years - once halfway along the Holland Track involving a convoy of about 8 vehicles, none of them in 4WD.

Which brings me to one of my bug bears: why don't the signs on bush tracks (the signs that ARE there) contain the simple message to engage 4WD now. If ignorance is the issue, and it seems to be, this has to help some.

No, not everyone is going to take notice and no, not every track has or will have a sign, and yes slowing down and reducing tyre pressures are also all important, but if from now on, every time a sign is put up on a track, let's just add the words "please look after the track - engage 4WD now" I can't help but think that we will make a difference eventually.

In fact I'm thinking of getting some made that can bolt onto a star picket and putting the up myself on tracks I come across.

If you've got a fourbie, engage it!

Cheers, Paul
FollowupID: 837497

Sponsored Links