80 Series Diesel Big Ends

Submitted: Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1173 Views:1714 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
For all of you out there who have replied to my question re the big ends on an 80 series, here is the result of my dilema.

I have been in contact with the NRMA Technical Deptartment as well as my installer and was told the following by both places.

The "known" problem with the big ends on the 80 series diesel is NOT isolated to just the factory turbo.

The factory turbo and the normally aspirated diesels built between 91 and late 94 (mine is 8/94) use the same bearing size, however the normally aspirated does not have the same load placed upon it as the factory turbo.

The factory turbo produces 400Nm torque and 98Kw of power and the normally aspirated should not exceed 330Nm torque and 80Kw of power.

The main reason for failure in the aftermarket models is apparently due to incorrect servicing intervals ie oil changes done at 10,000k instead of the recommended 5,000k. This causes blocked pickup screens inthe sump leading to the iol pump and therefor oils starvation.

A typical symptom of big end bearing problems is a tick, tick, tick noise when the engine is running. A visual indicator to possible problems is the iol pressure guage (if fitted). Check if your iol pressure is high when the car is cold and then watch to see if there is a marked fall in pressure when the engine is hot. If there is a fall in pressure when hot, there is a good chance that you have excessive bearing clearance and it is advisable to have the bearings checked.

The end result with mine is that the crank bearing in No1 collapsed and as a result the crank has to be machined and oversize bearings fitted and all associated gaskets/seals etc replaced. Total cost $1500

I hope this is of some help to other 80 series owners, especially those with aftermarket turbos fitted.

Anyone wanting to contact me re this problem can do so on amcdonald@tsn.cc

Toyota's official stance on the fitment of an aftermarket turbo is that you will void your warranty.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mal Try - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00
Austin and others interested, go to:http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/main_4x4.htm Then go to "What Toyota does not want you to know" Mal Try.
AnswerID: 3705

Follow Up By: Tim - Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 00:00
Mal i am having trouble connecting to the site you mentioned , when i try it says FORBIDDEN you dont have permission etc.
i must be doing something wrong,any help appreciated thankyou.
FollowupID: 1577

Sponsored Links