CTEK Chargers

I am seeking some advice on the above chargers.
I have a 100 series Toyota Wagon which is fitted with a 65ah auxiliary battery and redarc battery management.
I am not confident that the service battery is being charged / maintained as well as it should be.
I don't use the vehicle for extended periods (3:1 roster) and find that when I turn the fridge on it turns itself off if I have not done any significant distances.
I was thinking of fitting a Ctek D250S accompanied with a Smartpass.
I'm seeking some guidance here from our 12v gurus if this is a worthwhille option.
I'm also thinking of solar charging in the future rather than adding more batteries.
Thanks in advance for any feedback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 12:28

Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 12:28
How old is the auxiliary battery and is it a deep cycle? Could be adding to the problem. Is the auxiliary fitted in the bonnet space, as deep cycle batteries don't like being hot?
We had significant problems with our van deep cycle battery which was being "charged" by the Jayco 240V/12V "charger" in the van; the charger merely floated the battery at a constant voltage which would stuff it in fairly short order.
I fitted a D250S (without Smartpass) to our van a couple of years ago plus a 130W solar panel. The D250S charges our 110 Ah deep cycle battery from the solar or from 12v from the car (when towing) or using the 12V from the Jayco system when plugged into 240V. We run a 60litre Engel as a fridge plus lights plus occasionally a 200w inverter in the van. Despite camping for several nights in a row without 240V power and without running the car, the battery has never been down by more than 20% in the morning, and usually if it's sunny, using only the horizontal solar panel on the roof plus the MPPT regulator in the CTek, the battery is indicating fully charged by 10am. Very happy with the CTek purchase. If you are only running the vehicle for a short time for recharging purposes, then consider the Smartpass, as it will allow charging rates above 20A from the vehicle alternator.
AnswerID: 551919

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 12:30

Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 12:30
Forgot to mention, D250S purchased online from Kulkyne campers. Much better price than anywhere else and it was delivered within 2 days.
FollowupID: 837468

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 13:46

Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 13:46
It doesn't matter what you install, if you don't do enough kilometers to recharge the battery. Batteries take time to charge, by charging straight off the alternator you will replace the bulk charge sooner, the smartpass and DCDC charger will give you the best of both worlds but you still need to drive long enough to charge the batteries, you may be better off just using a good mains charger when the cars garaged.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 551924

Follow Up By: Member - Bigred13 - Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 14:35

Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 14:35
Hi Munji,
Just a couple of thoughts ,the 65 AH may be the problem ,if you are not getting enough charge in it will soon go down after a short period .The Redarc BMS is that the battery isolator, or the BMS 1215 ,if it is the 1215 that will do a better job than a CTek 250s although they do the same job .I have both in the 100series the CTek and the van has the BMS 1215 s.
FollowupID: 837475

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 14:41

Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 14:41
Would endorse what HKB said, Munji.

We have the dubious luxury of having more than 2 vehicles in our household, and I find I need to charge the starting battery regularly, on one or more of them.

Not only assures you that it will start, say in an emergency, but one hopes the batteries will last longer. A Ctek 25 amp charger would be the go.........I've got a Ctek 7 amp and it's sooooo sloooow, yawn, that it's best to leave it on overnight.

The Ctek system you mentioned would be the go with ability to add solar, at later date.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 837476

Follow Up By: Member - Munji - Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 16:00

Thursday, Apr 02, 2015 at 16:00
Often when I'm home I go on long drives and camping. Just wanted to ensure that i was giving my auxiliary the best opportunity for a full charge.
I also intend to do some long trips outback in the future so want to be in readiness for these as well.
FollowupID: 837481

Sponsored Links