Ironman spring helpers

Submitted: Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 11:03
ThreadID: 117338 Views:5426 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
has anyone had experience with these, good or bad ie leaf failure etc.
Thanks in advance.
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: swampfox - Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 12:34

Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 12:34
Hi
Had these fitted to a Mitsubishi Triton [96 model ] and attempted to fit as per there listing for a PK ranger .
The issue is not the clamping to the leaf spring behind the diff housing but the clearance u have for the raised end of the helper to the chassis. Early Rangers have flat springs which results in no clearance for these items .

Performance
On worn out springs ,these helpers will carry the load but the ride will still be awfull .
Suggest to have your original springs reset then fit the helpers .
IMO these are not a Heavy Duty fix but are a for moderate loads .
I used these on my worn out triton springs for years contracting .
The Triton was a dual cab with alloy tray, 250kgs in the tray , ball weight 130 kgs

swampfox
AnswerID: 551966

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 12:59

Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 12:59
hi Ian f
you might like to have a squiz at sax suspensions helper spring as well
www.saxsuspension.com.au
haven't used any just giving you the info no connection with company
cheers
barry
AnswerID: 551969

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 14:35

Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 14:35
I had these on my Mazda BT50.

One broke and they both ended in the bin.

On a previous Mazda, I had Aussie Super Springs http://atecoequipment.com.au/atecoproduct/supersprings/ which are superior in every way.

The only reason I did not fit them to my current BT50 is at the time they were unavailable. I opted to fit OME heavy duty springs but they are a bit rigid when empty.

Forget the Ironman helper.

Duncan
AnswerID: 551984

Reply By: peterdre - Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 16:08

Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 16:08
On my RC Colorado, I use Ironman HD Super Springs when towing my van which has a ball weight about 200kg, plus a tub load load around 250kg. Have Done Cape York, Savannah Way and Strez. Track with no problems.
Time to fit them is about 15 mins total, and they will give you about 50mm lift on the softer of the two settings.
They are a full length leaf over the top of the axle, not a half length like the Sax which will break your springs.
Pedro
AnswerID: 551988

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Saturday, Apr 04, 2015 at 14:53

Saturday, Apr 04, 2015 at 14:53
I can vouch for that, we had a Sax failure with their 3SDS spring near the Surveyor General corner last year, we had a number of issues with their products, I put a picture of the breakage HERE Can't help you out with a solution though, other than we have never had issues of any kind with Koni shocks or King Springs no affiliation with either, just never had a drama. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 837550

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, Apr 04, 2015 at 15:10

Saturday, Apr 04, 2015 at 15:10
I have the Ironman helper spring on my 3ltr BT50 for over 40K now and have had no problems at all.
I set them up to take the weight of the ball load IE. set for 200kg which in fact was all I required.
Downside = My experience is that they have made the ride a little hard when there is no van and no lad in the tub.
However a heavy load in the tub it certainly settles the vehicle down.
Then when the van is attached the vehicle rides really well.
If you follow the fitting instructions I cannot see any problems.
Oh and upside is when 4wd driving with no van the little extra ground clearance is much appreciated.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552015

Reply By: workhorse - Sunday, Apr 05, 2015 at 15:18

Sunday, Apr 05, 2015 at 15:18
Cant comment on the ironman helpers but have been using the Sax unit for over 5yrs now on my Courier single cab ute. Its a farm vehicle that standard is 1900kg mine has a steel tray long range tank bulbar winch so its 2100kg empty and rides well. It goes from empty to v heavily loaded for short trips, (I just adjust the setting in 10 minutes) to carrying an extra 1000kg for an extended (16K km) outback journey over the old Gunbarrel, WA desert tracks, Kimberely and is brilliant.
Every 4wd store wanted to sell me extra hd mine specs springs for the trip which I didn't follow as I believe in suspension flexing not being rock hard.
Cant say Sax have the best sales reputation but they have done everything I have asked and a little more.
AnswerID: 552032

Reply By: Member - Twocrowsdown - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 07:43

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 07:43
Fitted them three weeks ago to my 2013 Hilux and have clocked up close to 5000km without dramas yet. Carrying quite a bit of weight on a trip from the west to Tassy (fuel/water/rooftop tent) and plan to back them off when I get back home but they seemed to have helped with body roll in corners and lifted the back end to a small degree. A cheaper and quick fix if you don't want to spend $1000's on a complete suspension upgrade, just don't expect miracles.
AnswerID: 552280

Sponsored Links