Tyre size regs in Tassie

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 13:47
ThreadID: 11735 Views:2160 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Moving to Tassie soon and want to know if tyres will be legal there. I can't find much on tassie Gov't web sites. 1. can any of the Tassie ozexplorer forumites tell me where I can get info from 2. and/or advise what is the limit in Tassie that I can exceed the manufacturers approved overall diameter.

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TonyG (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 13:52

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 13:52
Hi Andrew,

Sorry to say that tyres are banned in Tassie.....................

Just joking

TonyG
AnswerID: 52808

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew K (WA) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 14:06

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 14:06
I suppose I've got to get used to the Tassie jokes. In fact before I leave I'm of to get the cosmetically inserted scar on my neck put in. LOH

Ooops.......hope this doesn't stop the any legitimate reply's from soon to be fellow tassie ites.

Andrew
FollowupID: 314616

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 18:21

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 18:21
Andrew, it seems ADR24 is the ruler across the nation for fitment if you read the websites. The general indication is 15mm greater diameter fromwhat was said to me on the forum and what seems to be verified.

The piece below is a post from the Toyo web site: www.toyo.com.au/tech_info8.html Sorry the program would not allow me to include the link this time.

Following is a list of the minimum requirements for alternative wheel & tyres for Australian States & territories. These requirements apply to passenger cars unless otherwise stated. O.E. size refers to any tyre size listed on the vehicle's tyre placard. An alternative tyre size is a tyres size that is not listed on the vehicle's tyre placard. Fitment of wheels & tyres that do not meet these requirements require an engineering certificate to be a legal fitment.
New South Wales: The overall diameter of alternative tyres must be not more than 15mm larger than the largest O.E. size or 15mm smaller than the smallest O.E. size. Minimum speed rating is N (140 kph).
Victoria: The overall diameter of alternative tyres must be not more than 15mm larger than the largest O.E. size. Minimum speed rating is equivalent to the highest state speed limit, which is 110kph or K.
Queensland: The overall diameter of alternative tyres must be not more than 15mm larger than the largest O.E. size or 26mm smaller than the smallest O.E. size. Minimum speed rating is N (140 kph).
South Australia: The overall diameter of alternative tyres must be not more than 15mm larger than the largest O.E. size or 15mm smaller than the smallest O.E. size. Minimum speed rating is S (180 kph) for new tyres fitted to passenger cars or 140 kph (N) for retreads. Minimum speed rating for four wheel drives is 130 kph (M).
West Australia: The overall diameter of alternative tyres must be not more than 15mm larger than the largest O.E. size or 15mm smaller than the smallest O.E. size. Minimum speed rating is S (180 kph) for new tyres fitted to passenger cars (or the vehicle's top speed if lower than 180kph), or 140 kph (N) for retreads. Minimum speed rating for four wheel drives is N or 140 kph.
Tasmania: No specific ruling in maximum or minimum overall diameters of alternative wheels & tyres, Except that both must comply with Australian Tyre & Rim Association standards. The speed rating must be equal to or better than the vehicle's top speed.
Australian Capital Territory: The overall diameter of alternative tyres must be not more than 15mm larger than the largest O.E. size or 26mm smaller than the smallest O.E. size. Minimum speed rating is S (180 kph) for new tyres fitted to passenger cars or 140 kph (N) for retreads. Minimum speed rating for four wheel drives is 140 kph (N).
Northern Territory: The overall diameter of alternative tyres must be not more than 15mm larger than the largest O.E. size. Minimum speed rating is that stated on the tyre placard.

Thanks Toyo
AnswerID: 52853

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew K (WA) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 22:23

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 22:23
Thanks John, some interesting reading there. Agree looks like 15mm over OE is the limit even if Tassie doesn't appear to have formal regs in place. I reckon if I run with that I'll be safe. Just nead to get new nissan gq tyre placard to support.

Andrew
FollowupID: 314671

Sponsored Links